Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Massachusetts Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Massachusetts on
Q: Mother filed for child support threw dor but refused me to sign the birth certificate

Mother filed for child support threw dor but refused me to sign the birth certificate and we still haven't done a later ity test, court is in 2 days and she's not going. Will they toss the case? Can I put in a motion for visitation at this hearing? I mentioned I was going to physical and... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Massachusetts on
Q: Took my cousin and her daughter to my home since she didn’t feel safe at her house and now her husband is threatening us

My cousin is going through family issues she is a dependent on H4 and called me to pick her up from New York and wanted to travel to India to her house for a few months to take a break which her husband agreed and sent her with passports documents to our house in Mass we picked her and her daughter... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Massachusetts on
Q: what to do when there is mental health neglect, contempt of judges order, false abuse accusations?

My child suffers from Depression, and had a suicide attempt last year. The father is against mental health treatment and has expressed to my son that treatment is for crazy people. I've started my son's treatment again, father as retaliation called DCF on me accusing me of neglect and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Massachusetts on
Q: How long is it until an animal is considered abandoned in Massachusetts?

I currently have a restraining order against my ex partner he left his snake here it has been 2 weeks and I have fed the snake and taken care of the snake for this period of time and informed him he needed to come pick him up and have heard nothing how long legally is it until the animal is... Read more »

Lissa McKinney
Lissa McKinney
answered on Nov 26, 2022

You have a restraining order. There's going to be a lot more flexibility before the pet is considered abandoned. He cannot communicate with you in any way, shape or form without violating the restraining order, nor can he come to the house unattended. There is no bright line rule on the number... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized for Massachusetts on
Q: I found a loophole we’re if I cancel my purchase online I still recived the cash back is this legal

I found that when I cancel my purchase

On this website I still receive the rewards points from the website. If I do this multiple times in a row I’m able to apply the rewards points And get the items for free. I do have to pay for shipping and handling but the item comes to zero dollars... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Copyright for Massachusetts on
Q: Can I copyright a book under a pseudonym without having to give my real name?

I want to copyright my book. But I’ve written it under a pseudonym because I don’t want people know I wrote the book. Is there a way to do this without giving my true information? Maybe get a P.O. Box under the pseudonym?

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Sexual Harassment for Massachusetts on
Q: Can charges be pressed on a sexual assualt that happened 9yrs ago in MA?

I was sexually assualted when I was 16 by an adult and I never filed a report back than. This would have been 9 years ago in Massachusetts. I was wondering if I'm still able to file a report and if charges could be pressed.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Massachusetts on
Q: How long does a judge have to sign and file a judgement after a child support hearing in Massachusetts?

My court hearing for child support was 27 days ago yet I still haven’t received the judgement in the mail, neither have the courts or DOR.

Brian Waller
Brian Waller
answered on Nov 22, 2022

It depends on the type of hearing. If it was a divorce trial where child support was just one of many issues, it would take a few (or more) months. If it was a hearing where DOR was seeking support on the other parent's behalf, it should be much quicker. It also depends on the county you are... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Massachusetts on
Q: My car was totalled and want to know if my gap insurance can be used to pay off my car and if I can just keep the settle

My car was parked at my job and it was hit by an outside contractor on a boom lift. The company insurance totalled my vehicle and is offering me $52,000 for the value of my car. Can I still use my gap insurance from the dealership that I purchased the car from initially to pay off my loan?" in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Massachusetts on
Q: I pay child support weekly to my ex for our two kids. She requested a joint account for sports. She ask to up the sport

account monthly. Which I did. Our children are 14-16 she has now interfered with my custody cause I moved in with my Girlfriend. Now wants to modify the agreement so I pay more on top of the sports account. Because she has made it so my girls won't come visit me. Changing the child support... Read more »

Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
answered on Nov 18, 2022

The Court can award a Modification of child support if material income changes have occurred and sharing of living expenses is a change in circumstances that may justify Modification.

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Massachusetts on
Q: Is it a breach of contract If a seller is not ready to close at the closing date stated on the buyer-seller agreement?
Christopher Tolley
Christopher Tolley
answered on Nov 18, 2022

Yes, although many real estate purchase and sale agreements permit the seller to extend the date for closing under certain circumstances even though the buyer may not agree to extend. You should review your purchase and sale agreement .

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Massachusetts on
Q: I have personal time (accrued), my employer has told me I will not compensated for the day. Is that legal?

I have accrued personal time, my employer informed me because I did not tell her within a weeks notice that I will not be compensated for the time. They state in their handbook that I need to give one months notice, even though I have the time can they not compensate me?

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts for Massachusetts on
Q: How can I legally get my name off of a car as a co-signer. My ex has possession of the car and refuses To pay taxes onit

The car is registered in Virginia where we used to live. He currently lives in FL and I’m in Massachusetts. He keeps putting off paying the bills on this car which are effecting my credit and ability to get tags on my currently vehicle.

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law for Massachusetts on
Q: I work Mass General hospital with little notice my job was changed from non exempt to exempt & my job grade was lowered.

I was just given an excellent job review - basically they demoted everyone doing my job CRS no pay change at moment but it’s a lower pay grade so we will max out. They also plan to hire 5-10 more CRS positions. It’s unfair to make change to existing workers and if we try to transfer with in MGH... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Education Law for Massachusetts on
Q: Hi. If a CRA was dismissed a year ago, Can a school district state they filed a CRA before in a new filing?

My son’s school district is using their older filing of a CRA a year ago that was dismissed in a new filing in a new school in the district even tho it was dismissed. This was filed after an IEP rejection meeting that was not resolved, and due to the hostile mannerism of administration, I filed a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Divorce for Massachusetts on
Q: Followup on my previous question, regarding my daughter trying to get custody or more visitation time.

She was granted attorneys fees of $5,000, but husband refuses to pay, charged with contempt, got an extension to pay, contempt charges filed again, pending. He was supposed to pay her a min amount for reestablishment, refused. She only gets sons on weekend, agreement is she has to take them to... Read more »

Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
answered on Nov 15, 2022

She needs to continue to pursue the Contempt and sounds like there are more issues where a Contempt may lie, so try to obtain counsel!!

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Massachusetts on
Q: Daughter qualifies for pro bono lawyer. But is on waiting list. Very abusive husband, 4 children, no money. Suggestion

Husband criminal record for physical abuse in NY in 1999, and then had probation revoked, same. Different woman, no recent record abused my daughter physically and emotionally for 14 yrs. Daughter got retraining order, but withdrew it. Husband retaliated and had her arrested after she dropped... Read more »

Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
answered on Nov 15, 2022

Because there is an asset involved potentially she may not qualify for free legal services, but she should definitely try to obtain same ASAP! There could be a Motion for Payment of Counsel Fees with the filing of a Divorce Complaint and other motions for relief, so that husband would be ordered... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.