Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Small Claims legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
North Dakota Small Claims Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims and Criminal Law for North Dakota on
Q: what happens if money seize from raid was off in amount.. and memory card of camera taken. but not on evidence list.

before being raided. i was about to run to the bank to deposit money. i had counted the amount i had in hand. it was 11830$. but only 10500$ was on teh evidence.. as soon as they had me in handcuffs in my room. seein i had money layin out.. i had camera up. i smerkly said dont do something... View More

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
answered on Aug 14, 2022

Civil forfeiture is generally a separate proceeding if you're contesting it - but if they outright stole your money and are wondering what will happen the real answer is nothing unless you do something about it. What would you do? Likely ask the BCI to open up an investigation.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Civil Rights and Small Claims for North Dakota on
Q: can a college make you retake a class over after you already taken it, paid for it and passed it? same college mind you
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Sep 12, 2019

You could check the school's course policy. Schools can impose their own specific conditions, such as attaining a certain grade in a course, etc. If you have an academic advisor, maybe they could help explain your rights. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Small Claims for North Dakota on
Q: Subway and their false advertisement question?

so you walk into a Subway in the sign on the glass usually states, make it what you want. Well if you try to order a wrap let's triple or quadruple me, they claim that corporate policies do not let you. Wouldn't that be considered false advertisement because now I'm not getting to be... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Aug 18, 2019

With those types of statements, the underlying premise is that the customer's wishes would be fulfilled, within a standard of reasonableness, not necessarily in a literal sense; or in this case, within the reasonable guidelines of their corporate policies. You could consult with an attorney to... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Legal Malpractice, Small Claims and Bankruptcy for North Dakota on
Q: I received a letter in the mail today that threatened legal action for a debt.

I received a letter in the mail today that threatened legal action for a debt from over 5 years ago. The debt is from when I lived in Maryland. I have not lived there for the last 5 years. I've been living in North Dakota. The debt is for $9,000 and is the result of having been evicted when I... View More

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Feb 19, 2019

If the MD stature is 3 years, then the statute has expired and they cannot sue you.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for North Dakota on
Q: I loaned some sound equipment to an acquaintance. I am ready to have it back, but Ive been told it is now an hours driv

I did not give permission for it to leave this area, nor was I notified when it did. Is there a legal way to force him to return the equipment to the place he picked it up?

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
answered on May 16, 2018

Yes, tell him that you want your equipment back and give him a reasonable time limit (ten days, thirty days, etc.) to return it back to you. Inform him that you will report it has been stolen if he fails to return the equipment.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for North Dakota on
Q: I was served a summons/complaint. It was NOT filed with the court. I answered and challenged the debt. What happens now?

I thought I read they had 5 days to show proof they had proving debt is mine? Also if they do file with the court will I be notified?

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
answered on Jan 20, 2018

Call an attorney who deals with this type of case. They do not have to file immediately.

1 Answer | Asked in Lemon Law and Small Claims for North Dakota on
Q: Is there a law in the state of ND for purchasing a used vehicle and it needs a new engine after one week of purchasing?

It was taken to a mechanic and the mechanic stated the owner knew the engine was bad and put a pipe through the muffler to make it sound loud and then said it was one of those fancy mufflers that made noise. Also that it burned a little oil. But the fact was, the engine was so bad, the oil was... View More

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
answered on Jan 5, 2018

You may or may not have a warranty claim. The answer is dependent on the conditions of the sale. I would contact an attorney who deals in this type of claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.