Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Workers' Compensation legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Oklahoma Workers' Compensation Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Environmental and Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on
Q: I am doing make ready on apartment units that are frequently plagued by black mold. What are my rights?

I am curious about the discovery of black mold and compensation for removal.

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Oct 13, 2023

As a worker, you have the right to a safe work environment, including protection from exposure to black mold. If you are exposed to black mold and become sick, you may be entitled to medical care and workers' compensation benefits. For personalized legal advice tailored to your unique... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Family Law, Workers' Compensation and Antitrust for Oklahoma on
Q: what is my fiancé started lying about every of my rights and progress both emotionally
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
answered on Jun 13, 2022

There doesnt seem to be a question.

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on
Q: Prior of death a person was receiving unemployment benefits; is a family member entitled to these benefits after death?

Can you give me the statue of this law to the question in Oklahoma.

Charles Watts
Charles Watts
answered on Oct 24, 2021

Unemployment is payable to an eligible employee, not to heirs or their estate. Therefore when the employee dies they are no longer an eligible employee and the payments must stop.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on
Q: Negotiated a WC settlement through mediation to include self-administration of Medicare set-aside. Recd letter from atty

today, that they refuse to be part of a settlement where I would self-administer the set aside. They said they would put a lien on the settlement and I could deal directly with opposing counsel. Is this for real?

Charles Watts
Charles Watts
answered on Sep 2, 2021

If you hired an attorney and they were working on things for you then you have an agreement with them. In which you most likely signed something saying they get paid and if not they file a lien. So it is probably for real. You need to contact them to discuss things directly.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Workers' Compensation and Car Accidents for Oklahoma on
Q: I had a wreck while I was delivering for Domino's, it was not my fault, the other vehicle was stolen with no insurance,

The driver fled on foot and was never caught, my insurance wont help because I was on the job and Domino's aka team next level of tulsa will not help or answer my questions my employers will not respond to calls or messages anymore, the most they will do is get me in touch with work comp for... View More

Jessica Brown
Jessica Brown
answered on Mar 22, 2021

You should contact a "bad faith" insurance attorney. They frequently review initial information for no charge - have any rejection/denial letters ready to show them.

It sounds like your insurance company denied the claim because of an exclusion in your policy. An attorney can...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on
Q: My husband was released back to work January 14th. Can we ask workers comp about a settlement
Tim Rose
Tim Rose pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Feb 5, 2021

Yes, but you should consult with a local workers comp attorney. Most will offer a free consultation regarding your options moving forward.

2 Answers | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on
Q: Can you ask workers comp about your settlement

My husband was hurt on October 7th at work

He was released January 14th mmi. We wanted to ask workers comp about a settlement but we're not sure we should

Hans Otto Lehr
Hans Otto Lehr
answered on Feb 5, 2021

Whatever you do, do not engage in settlement negotiations with an insurance adjuster until you have an attorney representing you. The insurance company will not take you seriously without representation.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on
Q: I was layed off work at no fault of my own on 3/12/2020.

My company provided vehicle was never returned/picked up by said company. I was also never paid a promised bonus of $4500. I have not been utilizing said vehicle in any way. It is parked at my house sitting since termination. I told my former manager I would gladly return the vehicle once I was... View More

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer
answered on Apr 8, 2020

You should return the vehicle immediately, then contact an employment attorney in your area to discuss a claim for recovery of the unpaid bonus.

3 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on
Q: I lost total vision in my right eye working for an individual at a unofficial fabrication shop.

I was working for a friends dad at a welding shop. my actual job was welding but the first thing I did every morning was split wood to warm up the shop which is how I lost my eye. I was using a wedge and a sledge hammer and a piece of the wedge the size of a nickel went through my right eye and... View More

Jason Bolitho
Jason Bolitho
answered on Sep 19, 2019

It does sound like you have a Workers' Compensation Claim. Oklahoma is a no-fault state regarding work-related injuries, meaning basically that if you were hurt on the job, then your related medical bills, lost wages, permanent impairments, etc. might be paid by your employer, most likely by... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Insurance Bad Faith for Oklahoma on
Q: Are employers required to notify as self insured and will handle workers comp claims in house prior to employment?

I went through a claims experience that I didn’t appreciate because I was feeling pushed by my employer to sign off before I felt I was back to normal. She has done this on multiple occasions I have found out. Not looking to sue for money. But I wish to anonymously notify the correct agency so... View More

Melissa  Webb
Melissa Webb
answered on Sep 3, 2019

The 2014 Administrative Workers’ Compensation Act allowed employers to “opt out” of the state workers’ compensation system as long as they provided equal or better benefits. Since that time, the Oklahoma Supreme Court struck down the “opt out” provision. Employers can self-insure, but... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on
Q: Got hurt at work in Oklahoma Aug 10th 20154 level fusion .They are offering 39 ,000I dont t how think that is fair

They won't look into the mid or lower back.

The Dr did not even mention my complaint

Bradford Kvinta
Bradford Kvinta
answered on Dec 19, 2017

You need to speak with a personal injury attorney ASAP. Your attorney can help determine whether you're receiving fair compensation for your injuries. As a general rule, represented persons receive more compensation that unrepresented persons.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Employment Law, Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on
Q: My daughter was employed by a dog daycare for a very short time when she was bitten trying to stop 2 dogs from fighting

She is 19 and received virtually no training on how to handle situations like that other than to squirt them with a water bottle. There were 3 employees watching 70 dogs. She wasn’t even allowed to leave to get medical treatment even though she was bitten quite badly. What legal actions can she... View More

Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad
answered on Oct 22, 2017

She may be entitled to Workers Compensation and/or claims against the dogs' owners. She should seek out an attorney who handles comp & personal injury claims.

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Medical Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: W/C ins doctor made reference that an attorney fired me, is this ethical for a doctor to do on a medical report ?

The attorney had improper contact with the ins attorney as monetary amounts were pre set. I am pro se and am fine with it. However, the insurance Co. Doctor make a reference on his report that he should not have known as I didn't tell him my legal situation - the only one that could was the... View More

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Sep 11, 2017

Don't see that it is. It's irrelevant but it is a fact that you acknowledge.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on
Q: Me my brother and my aunt got rear ended me and my aunt are sore but fine my brother is hurt. Can we get compensation.

Hospital visit

aunt got meds and checked out can work

Aunt has insurance

I got meds and checked out can work

I have insurance

Brother got checked out hospital did nothing cannot work

Brother has no insurance

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Jun 20, 2017

Contact a member of the Ok Trial Lawyers Assn/Assn for Justice. They give free consultations. If rear ended, answer is yes to all.

Q: Work comp settlement and/or a medical malpractice lawsuit?

So, in January I fell while on the job which led to a major knee injury (completely severed my patellar tendon). The injury required surgery to reattach the tendon to my kneecap. After surgery I was specifically instructed to go home, elevate the leg, and do not get out of bed for 2 days. I... View More

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Jun 9, 2017

If you have a workers comp attorney contact them. If not, contact a member of the Ok Trial Lawyers Assn who handles medical cases --they give free consultations.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury, Products Liability and Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on
Q: I developed a pulmonary embolism from work comp surgery, what should I do?

In January I slipped and fell on the job and severed my patellar tendon. The injury required surgical reattachment and for two days after surgery I was told not to move from my bed. I wasn't not sent home on any type of anticoagulants or with an exercise machine and I developed a DVT which led... View More

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Jun 12, 2017

I assume you have a comp attorney. Ask them. If you don't have one , contact a member of the Oklahoma Trial Lawyers Association--they give free consults.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on
Q: Does part of my workers compensation go to my ex wife if the settlement is post divorce? What % goes to child support?

I was injured in 2010. We received a settlement, but left the medical maintenance open - pain management. In July 2015, my condition began to get worse. In Sept 2015, it looked like I was going to have to apply for disability. My wife of 22 years took the kids left as soon as I couldn't work... View More

Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean
answered on Mar 9, 2018

I'm sorry I didn't see your question earlier. I hope by now it has been resolved. If not, please ask it again.

Please visit my website and Subscribe for updates on Oklahoma Law.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on
Q: do you have to see the doctor they choose for you
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Oct 4, 2016

You didn't say who--I'm assuming it's the workers comp insurance. Different states have different rules, but generally for a period of time they only have to pay for their doctor--you can use your own but that's on your dime. After a period of time you get to choose, but they... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on
Q: what kind of attorney do we need for long term carbon monoxide poisoning by employer in Oklahoma

My husband was working for a company that manufactures drill bits and carbonizes them with high temp furnaces. Well he has Carbon Monoxide levels in his blood of from 1-10. 10 being the worse his was at an 8 and then 2 months of being out of there has only went to a 6. Has been having terrible... View More

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Nov 10, 2015

An attorney who does personal injury litigation.

But in many states workers compensation is an exclusive remedy. This means that a lawsuit against his employer might not be allowed.

Also, CO2 means carbon Dioxide. I believe you mean CO (carbon MON oxide).

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on
Q: have there been any new developments or changes in worker's compensation laws in Oklahoma
John Todd Willhoite
John Todd Willhoite
answered on May 12, 2016

In 2014 Oklahoma switched from a court system to an administrative system. For injuries occurring on or after February 1, 2014 the claim is processed through the administrative system. The change in the law from the old system to the new system are significant. The full extent of the new law is... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.