Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Adoption legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Oregon Adoption Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Immigration Law for Oregon on
Q: How do I go about obtaining adoption and or immigration records?

My brother and I are applying for dual citizenship. One of the requirements in our case are adoption papers or perhaps an immigration N-400 form which would link our birth certificate name with my US military stepfather's last name. We were both naturalized in 1972 prior to turning 18. I do... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Apr 29, 2024

To obtain adoption and immigration records, you can follow these steps:

1. Adoption Records:

- Contact the court where the adoption was finalized. The court should have records of the adoption proceedings.

- If you know the state where the adoption took place, you can...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Oregon on
Q: How can I get custody of my little brother who lives in Oregon and I live in NY?
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Sep 12, 2023

First, you'll need to establish legal standing, demonstrating your significant and beneficial relationship with your brother. Then, you'll file a custody petition in Oregon, his primary place of residence, and notify all relevant parties, including his parents or legal guardians. Collect... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Oregon on
Q: I live with my dad and he is mentally abusive to me mostly. I babysit my 2 siblings from 8 to 10 hours a day. I’m 15

I get no compensation. I don’t want my dad to get into trouble and get my siblings taken away. I want to know what my options are to get out of my house. Could I move in with a different family member? Would I get in trouble legally for leaving?

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
answered on Aug 19, 2019

You generally have only two options - let your mother know so she can Petition the court for a change of custody or report that you are being abused to children's services or a school counselor or your doctor. If you report abuse there will be an investigation and you and your siblings could... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Oregon on
Q: I was adopted want nothing to do with adopted parents. I have a relationship w/ my biological parent

Want to remove adopted parents from birth cert and put bio parents and change last name to birth last name

Reason for removing adopted parents is adopted farther molested me adopted mother physically abused me i want nothing to do with them or any ties to them. Please help

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
answered on May 1, 2019

If you are over age 18 and your biological parents consent you could have your biological parents adopt you and that should amend your birth certificate. Check on this with vital statistics but it might work. Just be aware that this could effect any benefits or future inheritance rights you have... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Bankruptcy for Oregon on
Q: hello I filed chapter 7 back in 2017 my 2015 Dodge Ram was included in that ch 7 the credit union has allowed me to keep

the vehicle however it is not being reported to the credit agencies can i turn in said vehicle without repercussions thank you Todd

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Feb 23, 2019

If you signed a reaffirmation agreement on the Dodge, the lender can still pursue a judgment post bankruptcy for which you would be liable. If you did not sign a traffic, you can simply turn it over to the lender and walk away. Check with your bankruptcy attorney as to what your signed and your... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Adoption for Oregon on
Q: My son was adopted by his paternal grand parents when he was 7. Now at almost 17 he wants to come live with me.

His grandma will never allow this so he wants to just leave and come to me in Massachusetts.. If he does will either of us be in legal trouble?

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
answered on Sep 9, 2018

Why risk being charged with custodial inference? When he turns 18 he can live anywhere he wants. Just tell him you have a room waiting for him when he turns 18 and he can stay as long as you both want.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Adoption for Oregon on
Q: If a child has no legal father, can the child be adopted by their mother's husband when she gets married?

There is no one on the birth certificate, no paternity test, and no custodial or support agreements. Mother has full custody and has for the entire 6 years of the child's life.

M. Nicole Clooten
M. Nicole Clooten
answered on Aug 27, 2018

Adoption terminates a parent's legal rights to a child. If there is no legal father, there are no rights to terminate. However, it is best practice, if the father is known, to have him served with the petition. If he has had no interaction with the child for at least one year, the adoption... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Oregon on
Q: I have proof my dad has verbally abused me. This has been happening for some time. I'm depressed. Can I be adopted??

I'm depressed here and my dad is a drunk who's very controlling and abusive, I can't live with my mom right now because of a misunderstanding concerning a legal issue with her boyfriend, can my best friends mom adopt me so I can be in a stable household my senior year??, she's... View More

M. Nicole Clooten
M. Nicole Clooten
answered on Jul 30, 2018

In short, not at this time. It sounds like what needs to happen is for you to disclose this abuse to either a counselor or to Child Protective Services. Generally they will place you with the closest stable family member who is willing to provide care. However, be aware that your father will... View More

3 Answers | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Oregon on
Q: Can i as a stepchild. Adopt my deceased stepfather.

What are my rights rules and conditions of being a stepchild same mom differnt dads

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
answered on Feb 12, 2018

You cannot adopt a dead person. Maybe if you tell us what you are trying to accomplish we can suggest a more appropriate solution?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Adoption for Oregon on
Q: my daughter was adopted in 2004 and than came back to live with me in 2013 and she is now 18 how do i adopt her back

she wants her father and i to be back on her birth certificate and go by her birth last name

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
answered on Oct 31, 2017

Since she is over age 18 she can consent to her own adoption. It would cut her off from any inheritance rights from her adoptive parents and could have other adverse consequences with her adoptive parents. If all she wants to to share your name, she could do a legal name change. A legal name... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Family Law and Child Custody for Oregon on
Q: Im 15 almost 16. I have recorded my Mom saying I Hate you and to leave. Will I get in trouble by the cops if I go move?
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
answered on Jul 18, 2017

Well for starters, you haven't clearly expressed what is going on. We know you are a minor. You recorded your mom saying she hates you and she wants you to leave - which was probably during the heat of some argument. I don't think anyone would take that as a final statement of your... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption and Native American Law for Oregon on
Q: I also have another question I was adopted when I was two days old to a white family and I'm native American .

My birth mom never told anyone she was pregnant with me and gave birth with me without anyone knowing. I'm one of the oldest in five kids which are all enrolled in the yurok tribe but because my father who is enrolled in the tribe along with all my brothers and sisters. But since I was adopted... View More

Robert Donald Gifford II
Robert Donald Gifford II
answered on Mar 21, 2017

You will need a DNA tests of yourself and father, birth certificates, and your father's CDIB card to help get this started. You have to work this thru your tribe.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Oregon on
Q: my boyfriend is coming down and wants me to sign adoption papers for his daughter the mother gave up her parental rights

to get her sentence dropped in jail how do i go by doing the adoption papers

Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei
answered on Mar 15, 2017

This is a bad idea, and I would advise against it for many reasons. Mother can't just give up her parental rights, unless they were terminated by a court order. You will need a judgment/decree of adoption, which will make you the legal parent of the child. You should consult with an attorney... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.