Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Mississippi Estate Planning Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Elder Law and Land Use & Zoning for Mississippi on
Q: We wanted to leave our land and store to our grand-daughter, under the condition that it's not sold.

How do we go about leaving the land and the structures on it to our deceased son's daughter in our will (and makes sure our grand-daughter is going to keep it) over our daughter with this condition in place? Our daughter will attempt to take it from her and then sell the land as soon as we... Read more »

Randall R. Saxton
Randall R. Saxton answered on Mar 8, 2018

Yes, you can set up a trust to transfer the assets into with your desired stipulations.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Mississippi on
Q: In Mississippi do wills need a notary as well as witnesses
Randall R. Saxton
Randall R. Saxton answered on Mar 2, 2018

The will does not have to be notarized, but you should have the witnesses sign a Self Proving Affidavit which does require a notary.

1 Answer | Asked in Probate and Estate Planning for Mississippi on
Q: person passed put beneficiary not family, could we dispute the results if the decease had mental and depression issues..
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Feb 16, 2018

You're question is unclear. You would likely need to consult with an attorney to explain the situation to them so that they can advise you accordingly.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Child Custody for Mississippi on
Q: My 12 year old daughter, has expressed for 2 years that she wants to come live with me (her dad). What are the details
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Feb 15, 2018

I'm assuming that your question goes more towards a custody modification. First and foremost, a copy of the custody order would be needed to see how custody is explained. The second thing would be for an attorney to talk with you about the standard necessary to modify custody (in which case,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Estate Planning and Probate for Mississippi on
Q: In the state of Mississippi does a person get ownership of a piece of property that was left to him in a will.

My dad and his wife had a loan together and they put all the properties up to secure the loan. Of those properties 3 of the properties are in my late dad's and wife's name. Which would easily pay the loan off. Would the properties that were left to me have to go up for sale as well? Or... Read more »

Randall R. Saxton
Randall R. Saxton answered on Jan 24, 2018

A probate case would have to be opened to transfer the property to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Mississippi on
Q: Want to set up a trust so land can't be sold, only passed to family members in Mississippi. What do I need for this?
Randall R. Saxton
Randall R. Saxton answered on Jan 16, 2018

You should contact an estate planning attorney to help you set up a trust.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Mississippi on
Albert Pettigrew, Jr.
Albert Pettigrew, Jr. answered on Jun 7, 2011

It depends on the terms and conditions of the Last Will and Testament or the Trust, or whatever instrument was used for the inheritance. If it is silent about who controls the money, the estate executor has a duty to transfer the inheritance to the child's guardian. If there is has been no... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.