Oklahoma Legal Malpractice Questions & Answers

Q: Is it legal for a local city ordinance to be enforced if the ordinance has not been filed thru the county court clerk?

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Answered on Apr 16, 2019
Kyle Persaud's answer
The ordinance doesn't have to be filed with the county clerk. However, the title of the ordinance does have to be published in the newspaper. Also, the ordinance has to be made available in the office of the municipal clerk (that's different from the county clerk.

Okla. State Tit. 11 § 14-107 says,

"A. If a municipal governing body enacts or adopts by reference ordinances which are compilations or codes of law or regulations relating to traffic, building, plumbing, electrical...

Q: I was arrested and not charged with a crime or 14 days and I wasn't taken before a judge until 15 days later. Can I sue?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Answered on Sep 12, 2018
Keegan Kelley Harroz's answer
Yes, you can sue but you are asking the wrong question. You need to ask "Will I recover anything if I sue." The best thing for you to do is to consult with a civil rights attorney. Take proof of your monetary damages and any other documentation that you may have with you to the consultation.

Q: Is it legal to be arrested for the same warrant you were just released from jail for for failure to expedite?

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice and Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Aug 5, 2018
Keegan Kelley Harroz's answer
Yes, this is unfortunately legal. The best thing that you can do is hire an attorney to handle this as quickly as the justice system will allow.

Q: I feel my judge is being biased.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Answered on Apr 4, 2018
Pete David Louden's answer
Did you have an attorney?

Q: I had to hire an attorney for my son . Shouldn't his dad be responsible for half ?

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice and Family Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Jun 23, 2017
Gary Johnston Dean's answer
No. However you can ask him to share the expense, or make an application to the court. You should consult an experienced Family Law attorney for help.

Q: Mentally ill father had someone file a false lien on his home. The attorney is disbarred. What can my family do?

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Probate and Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Answered on Aug 30, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Usually you would file an action to quiet title. Suggest you start with contacting a member of the Ok.Trial Lawyers Assn who handles legal malpractice.They give free consultations.

Q: Can a lawyer help me sue another lawyer?

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Answered on Oct 26, 2013
Howard Berkson's answer
Yes, a lawyer can represent you or assist you in a lawsuit against another lawyer.

Q: Do district attorney's have the same rules as they are for lawyers? Do they have to take an oath? If so can I get a copy

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Answered on Mar 28, 2011
Mr. Jarod Morris' answer
District Attorneys are licensed by the Oklahoma Supreme Court the same as any other attorney and must abide by the same rules of professional conduct. If you have a question about the conduct of any attorney, you can call the Oklahoma Bar Association for more information. (405) 416-7000 or (800)522-8065.

There is an oath every attorney must take before being licensed by the State of Oklahoma; however, it appears that the Rules of Professional Conduct are what interests you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.