Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oregon Public Benefits Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Elder Law and Public Benefits for Oregon on
Q: How does my mother protect her home from being taken by the state if she is placed in an extended care facility.

Her home is paid off and one adult child lives with her.

Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
answered on Mar 20, 2023

The state does not take anyone's home. However, if someone who lives in Oregon receives Medicaid to pay for their long-term care then their estate must repay the State after their death when possible (estate recovery). Since your mother has an adult child who lives with her it is possible... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Native American Law, Public Benefits and Social Security for Oregon on
Q: I believe discrimination bcuz of my name. Tribal Pension (exempt) can't disqualify me for SSA benefits still no Pymt.

Tribal Pension not recognized as income and therefore cannot be used as a income disqualifier for Social Security Benefits- pursuant to findings in order determined by Administrative Law Judge.

Other tribal members do not have their Tribal Pension used as a disqualifier for benefits only... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Mar 16, 2023

If you believe that you are being discriminated against based on your name or any other protected characteristic, you may have legal options available to you.

One possible option is to file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or the appropriate state agency,...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Education Law and Public Benefits for Oregon on
Q: I want to sue head start for kicking my son out because he has tourettes and called dhs on me 5 times before they kicked
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 17, 2023

An Oregon attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry for your ordeal. At this point, one option is to reach out to law firms to see if it's possible to set up a free initial consult to briefly discuss. In addition to your own attorney searches, you... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Public Benefits for Oregon on
Q: If I leave my job due to harassment, intimidation, bullying, because nothing was done, can I still get unemployment?

I've been working at my current position for over a year now. I am constantly bullied, harassed, and intimidated by coworker and a higherup. I have reported this several times, but nothing has been done. When I have had meetings to explain why I feel I am being treated poorly, it is blamed on... View More

Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
answered on Feb 6, 2022

Potentially. Eligibility after quitting is never a sure thing, and ultimately it will be up to an administrative law judge. You will have to prove you had no choice but to quit.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Public Benefits for Oregon on
Q: Funding of trips to take care of elderly aunt

My wife and I recently relocated from Portland to Palm Springs. For the past 4 years my wife has acted as the Power of Attorney for her elderly aunt who has no kids and only a brother and sister who have been unable to care for her. My wife coordinated the placement of her in a care facility as she... View More

Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
answered on Dec 10, 2019

It's possible that Medicaid will see paying for your travel as a valid expense as long as it benefited your aunt and was not just for a visit. You will also have to check your Power of Attorney to make sure it authorizes you to make this kind of purchase. You would likely benefit from an... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Public Benefits for Oregon on
Q: What is the legal age to babysit in Oregon state?
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
answered on Sep 30, 2016

I don't know if there is a specific law on this but here are some links that lead me to believe that age 14 or older might be safe:

This article says you can't leave a child 10 or younger alone - so that age or younger would not qualify to babysit....
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Oregon on
Q: Finding a court appointed guardian for my mentally and physically handicapped sister to take over her finances.

She is currently on SSI. Her finances used to be taken care of by Whatcom Financial but once they had saved a small reserve for her she fired them and spent the money. She is out of groceries currently. She has homecare thru the state and Catholic Services. Her son lives with her as her... View More

Robert L. Mauger Jr.
Robert L. Mauger Jr.
answered on Feb 5, 2016

Chances are good that unless you or your brother or someone else care enough to apply for a guardianship or custodianship over her, there's not much that can be done to prevent her from having a rough life. You might want to talk with a local attorney about persuading her to come out to visit... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Oregon on
Q: A friend was just fired from her job at a church in Laramie, Wyoming. She thinks she won't qualify for unemployment.

Even if churches don't have to pay unemployment tax, shouldn't my friend be able to collect unemployment?

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Oct 23, 2015

Perhaps. She should check with the agency that handles UI claims in her state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.