Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Texas Agricultural Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Agricultural Law, Energy, Oil and Gas and Land Use & Zoning for Texas on
Q: We own 83 acres of timber but not mineral rights. We have several homes (children) on our property and a cluster well.

We do not own mineral rights. Just received call from driller advising they will be drilling oil on our land. How do i protect our homes timber and water source?

Aimee Hess
Aimee Hess
answered on Jul 13, 2022

In Texas, the mineral estate is the dominant estate. That means that the mineral owner and the oil company have the right to make all reasonable uses of the surface for exploration, drilling and production of oil and gas.

The Texas Railroad Commission, the state agency which regulates oil...
Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Agricultural Law and Environmental for Texas on
Q: I got a warning but no citation, do I have to appear in court?

I got a warning from a TPWD Game Warden for no hunter's safety certificate. I was told to email proof of completion to the local judge and the issue would be resolved, i wouldn't have to appear in court (I have already done so). There is a handwritten appearance date at the bottom, what do I do?

Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
answered on Mar 20, 2022

Call the court and make sure that you don't have to appear

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Tax Law and Agricultural Law for Texas on
Q: My mother just passed and she was 1/4 owner of 640 acres give or take. I was informed today that the other current

Parties want to sell. Since my brother and I inherited my mothers party what should we be asking

Isaac Shutt
Isaac Shutt
answered on Sep 23, 2021

You should definitely meet with a probate lawyer. You will want some sort of official legal documentation to show that you now hold title to your mother's portion of the property. Plus, you want an attorney to make sure you're getting your fair share. Contact a probate attorney to see... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Agricultural Law for Texas on
Q: Friend ask us to watch their dog. We returned the dog home and put the dog in the backyard. Is that animal cruelty?

As, they told us they would be home in 10-15 mins so we told them we put the dog in the backyard with his things and water. Told them we had to get going because it was late. They are now saying since we put the dog in the backyard that it’s animal cruelty and their going to call the police on us.

Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
answered on Jul 8, 2021

On the facts stated, there is no animal cruelty.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Agricultural Law for Texas on
Q: Bought a place in town had established fence lines neighbor shows me a map of his survey saying that I'm on his property

I had also already built a few structures greenhouse ect. into the spots in question

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
answered on Sep 16, 2020

Usually the established fencing determines the boundary as both adjoining owners acquiesce to the boundary, regardless what their legal descriptions say. If your neighbor does not like your encroachments, it is up to him to file suit within the SOL. Hire a competent attorney to search both... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Agricultural Law, Environmental and Land Use & Zoning for Texas on
Q: A neighbor is complaining the tanks in our cattle pasture overflow when it rains and flood his yard. What do we do?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Mar 9, 2020

A Texas attorney could best address your question, but your post remains open for two weeks. If you contacted a few local attorneys, they could probably outline for you the liabilities and repercussions before you, as well as your rights. You could also explore what options are available to stop... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Agricultural Law for Texas on
Q: I live in Texas I struck a cow on a county road they took me to jail for damage to to my own vehicle

Said I damaged the lively hood of that rancher it was an accident in the middle of the night at first they were gonna charge me with leaving the seen if an accident nobody else was involved just me and the cow is this right?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Jul 18, 2018

If you left the scene technically they have an argument, but you have a claim for your injuries and damage to your vehicle--I've had several and have won them. Contact a member of the Texas Trial Laweyrs Assn for the County where it happened--they give free consults.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Agricultural Law, Animal / Dog Law and Civil Litigation for Texas on
Q: My dog was hit and kill in front of me the lady took off what laws are there for her to get ticket and me compinsated

I know who did it just don't have address this happened in Colorado and was a stock/family pet

Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III
answered on Mar 28, 2018

You will have to contact an attorney in Colorado. The laws of that state will govern this matter, since that is where the incident occurred.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.