COVID-19 Divorce Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Divorce Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Massachusetts on
Q: Can a joint custodial parent veto a particular child therapist?

I share joint 50/50 legal custody of my 5 yr old child w my ex. Our agreement was filed w the court in 2017. My ex would like a therapist (who has not yet met our child but has shown bias against me as a non-birth mom) to start seeing our child every other week for therapy. Our current child... Read more »

Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa answered on Feb 24, 2021

You should request a therapist referral from the provider who is leaving for a successor therapist. Both parents should have input for the new provider. If the other parent refuses and there is a proceeding pending or if there is not a proceeding one would need to be brought- for Modification... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Estate Planning and Probate for California on
Q: In CA. My husband/his ex never filed a QDRO. He died. What do I need to do to get CalPERS to pay me his pension?

He caught Covid in the line of duty. I had POA for CalPERS. I'm his beneficiary. I got the QDRO drafted but it wasn't ready until a month after he died so he couldn't sign it. How do I get an order from court that doesn't require his signature so CalPERS will release the lien on... Read more »

Tobie Brina Waxman
Tobie Brina Waxman answered on Feb 23, 2021

You probably don't have standing to act on his behalf in family court. That being said, there's definitely something that can be done. When someone dies, the successor in interest (probably you) can be joined into the divorce case to sign documents, including a QDRO. That's what... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Divorce for California on
Q: Can I continue with my divorce proceedings in Northern California if the divorce was filed in Southern California?

My ex filed for divorce in Southern Cali a few years back. We have yet to finalize it. I would like to hire an attorney in Northern California since this is now where I live (We both have since left S. California). My ex's attorney is based out of Southern California. Is it possible to... Read more »

Tobie Brina Waxman
Tobie Brina Waxman answered on Feb 23, 2021

Under certain limited circumstances you may be able to file a motion to change venue. If there are minor children involved and they have moved to No. Cal. and have lived there for more than 3 consecutive months, it may make sense to move the venue to a court closer to where the minor children... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Divorce for California on
Q: found my husband in our bed with another woman. he has moved out with her and his father has given me 2 weeks to get out

He has been threatening me with ridiculous things like turning me into authority for drug dealing and prostitution and tax evasion and unemployment fraud. Said his father was going to sue me for back rent and put an eviction on my record . I had to give back my wedding ring and not allowed to see... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jan 25, 2021

So sorry to hear you are being treated this way. Yes, you have rights. Suggest you contact a local Family Law attorney or the Legal Aid society about getting a divorce and seeking a temporary restraining order against your spouse, his girlfriend and his father for the harassment. Meanwhile, you... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce for California on
Q: Hi my name is Lory, I don’t know where to start on how to file a divorce, I want to put an end to my relationship.

We are separated many years already, he moved in with me and my kids from LA, first I agreed to him moving in with us, knowing that he already moved on and accepted that it’s over between me and him, but now i am having trouble living with him, I just want to be free from him legally but I... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jan 25, 2021

Your county Superior Courthouse will have a family law division where there are judges who specialize in hearing this kind of a case. Before Covid there were offices you could go to for assistance in filing your own documents. The dissolution petition is online and pretty self explanatory. If... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Florida on
Q: Does he not owe child support due to COVID lockdowns and terms of the child support agreement?

Ex-spouse & I signed a mediation agreement early 2020, just before legally mandated lockdowns. in lieu of paying to court, ex agreed to pay equivalent amount of per guidelines child support by paying child's insurance coverage (pretax from paycheck) & day/aftercare. Shortly after... Read more »

Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber answered on Jan 19, 2021

You need to read your agreement carefully. He is not "off the hook." However, if the agreement says he pays the daycare directly and the daycare closed then he can argue that he does not have to pay. You may need to go back to court for clarification or enforcement. What he did or is... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce for New York on
Q: I need consultation regarding a possible divorce.

I have been evicted from my home due to a fraudulent accusation by my husband since March 17th. The case have been dragged through the court system without any resolution as of today. I am totally displaced and need to know whst i can do in regards to my legal rights. We were married for 17 years.

Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich answered on Jan 14, 2021

It is unfortunate what you are going through at this time. The first thing you should do is file in Family Court for Spousal support if you haven't done so already and need the support. Unfortunately, the pandemic has made a mess of the court system with cases taking much longer due to... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce for New Jersey on
Q: I married in PR live in NJ my ex-wife lives in Ohio we been separated for over 8 years can we get divorce from the u.s
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Jan 14, 2021

Where you were married and where your wife lives are irrelevant to obtaining a divorce in New Jersey. If you meet New Jersey's residence rule. If she cannot be located, then service by publication is required. But that is not a problem. But, you must retain an experienced matrimonial attorney... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce for New Jersey on
Q: Divorced in 2017 in N.J. Not amicably. I was awarded "life alimony". The ex just asked me to adjust alimony (no court in

Divorced in 2017 in N.J. Not amicably. I was awarded "life alimony". The ex just asked me to adjust alimony (no court involved, just "between us") to reflect his income loss for 2019 and 2020, and suggests 50 payments/year instead of 52.

My income is close to zero. He... Read more »

Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond answered on Jan 4, 2021

The real issue is whether your ex's income setting was impacted by Covid or whether he was claiming his income setting could not support his alimony obligation prior to Covid. If he was claiming to be unable to pay the amount of alimony owed in 2019, then the question is what took place... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Divorce for California on
Q: Is it considered kidnapping if I bring my daughter with me to visit family in Hawaii if my husband doesn’t give consent?

My husband and I are still married, live together in Southern California, and never had any custody hearings. He doesn’t want our daughter to go. His reasoning is because of COVID-19 but we just went to visited his parents in Northern California. So I don’t see the difference.

Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker answered on Jan 2, 2021

No. If you are parents married with no court orders limiting where when and who the child can be with, either parent can travel freely subject to not putting the child’s health safety and welfare in jeopardy. In this case that would following protocols for travel. Covid-19 has been addressed by... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Immigration Law for New York on
Q: I got my 10 year green card end of November 2020, if I get divorced now can it cause immigration issues?

I got my 10 year green card on November 28, 2020 and my spouse got physically violent earlier December for which he was arrested. He wants a divorce now. By law in NY the divorce would be no fault and cause would be irretrievably broken for 6 months(from August 2020 if divorce gets filed in January... Read more »

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Dec 29, 2020

This type of case requires you to retain one of the few attorneys who is experienced in both matrimonial and immigration law. By doing so you have (presuming your facts are accurate) both getting divorced and not having your green card revoked. During this pandemic, you have a choice of either... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and International Law on
Q: How to get an international divorce recognized in the USA?

I got married to a Russian citizen in Rhode Island. Later we got divorced in Russia, where I still live and work. I want to get married again (this time in Russia), but I'd need to provide Certificate of No Record of Marriage from the US. Is it correct that to get this document I'd have... Read more »

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Dec 16, 2020

This is the first time I have heard of such a certificated requirement in over 50 years of practice. It is tantamount to proving a negative, which is damned near impossible. It requires examining the universe and concluding such does not exists

Start with the issue that marriage is...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Nevada on
Q: Do I have any rights given the fact that you were married in a temple in March 15 but didn’t submit the paperwork

We got married in front of plenty of family and friends we both signed a Ketubah ( Jewish marriage contract ) with 2 witness signatures and the Rabbi we couldn’t file our paper work because of the Corona Virus

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Dec 11, 2020

As long as the couple has a valid Nevada marriage license and the ceremony was performed by a Nevada licensed Officiant with at least one witness, then the marriage is legally recognized. The officiant’s failure to record the marriage documentation within the required 10 days after the ceremony... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Immigration Law for Nevada on
Q: Legal separation, just separation or divorce before Green card interview?

My wife and I got married more than a year ago after dating a little more than two years. We got tired of not being able to be together all the time since I'm Mexican and she is a US citizen. So, We got married because we loved each other and filed the necessary docs to the USCIS with the help... Read more »

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Dec 3, 2020

I suggest discussing your situation with an experienced Immigration attorney regarding your green card application. As for the divorce, it appears you are on your wife’s timeline as to when the divorce will occur or become final. In Nevada, a spouse cannot delay or refuse a divorce if the other... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for New York on
Q: I am being pushed out of my home in the midst of covid and need to know my rights. I need legal assistance.

I need a matrimony attorney. My ex reopened a case to have me out of the condo he owns however he let me stay here. The divorce papers back in 2013 had a rental agreement. Please advise. I need time or need to fight this. Lived here for almost 20 years.

Kevin Abessi
Kevin Abessi answered on Dec 1, 2020


Much, if not the entirety of this matter may have to do with the terms of that agreement. Other than that, existing law may afford tenants some rights and protections against landlords under certain circumstances. An attorney cannot properly answer this question, however, without...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Ohio on
Q: Due to the pandemic my ex hasn’t paid child support for 5 months because he was laid off. Does he still owe it to me?

He said he doesn’t owe it to me because while we were separated and the divorce was not finalized he was giving me support money out of the kindness of his heart. So we should be equal or I should pay him back for doing that. Is that true?

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 18, 2020

Money given directly typically does not count toward the child support obligation, but is considered a gift. But it depends on the temporary support order in effect during the divorce, and what the court ordered for support when the divorce was finalized, and how it required him to pay , either... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for California on
Q: My ex husband stopped making spousal support payments in April. What Can I do?

We were married over 25 years, support was court ordered for long term marriage. He went on furlough when Covid started, and collected unemployment I believe he has retired early from his union job, so the checks that were issued by his employer stopped. He refuses to comply. Divorce... Read more »

Shawna Murray
Shawna Murray answered on Nov 6, 2020

You may need to take your ex-spouse to court and you should definitely consult an attorney about this issue because long-term spousal support is very complex. You could start by reaching out to your ex-husband and making sure he knows where to send you his spousal support checks. While his... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Ohio on
Q: Do I have to have a witness for uncontested divorce to be granted in Ohio?

I'm getting divorced end of the week and my witness has COVID and can't attend. It is an uncontested divorce since we agree on everything and we will both be there. Do I have to have a witness to be granted the divorce if the defendant is present and in agreement?

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Oct 27, 2020

If both spouses are present, and both testify to the grounds for divorce and advise the court they want to terminate the marriage, then no other witness should be required, and the court should grant it, although it depends on your local court and ultimately the judge decides. But if the defendant... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for New York on
Q: Visitation visit from California parent refuses to prove quarantined or in ny 14 days prior can parent withhold visit?
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich answered on Sep 8, 2020

The order of visitation is a court order that needs to be followed. If you don't follow it then you are in contempt. Try working this out with the other parent. See if they will agree to a test here in NY for the virus.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Child Custody for Ohio on
Q: how long does a devorce usually take if the only issue is visitation of a child and the average cost
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Sep 8, 2020

The court filing fee is about $300 to 400. If an investigation is required to determine parenting issues, then several hundred more. Legal fees for an attorney could be from a thousand, to many thousand, depending on what happens. The process takes at least a few months, and can take up to a... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.