COVID-19 Illinois Q&A by Practice Area

  • Admiralty / Maritime
  • Adoption
  • Agricultural Law
  • Animal / Dog Law
  • Antitrust
  • Appeals / Appellate Law
  • Arbitration / Mediation Law
  • Banking
  • Business Formation
  • Business Law
  • Cannabis & Marijuana Law
  • Car Accidents
  • Child Custody
  • Child Support
  • Civil Litigation
  • Civil Rights
  • Collections
  • Communications Law
  • Constitutional Law
  • Construction Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Education Law
  • Elder Law
  • Election Law
  • Employment Discrimination
  • Energy, Oil and Gas
  • Entertainment / Sports
  • Environmental
  • Federal Crimes
  • Gaming
  • Gov & Administrative Law
  • Government Contracts
  • Health Care Law
  • Identity Theft
  • Insurance Bad Faith
  • Insurance Defense
  • Intellectual Property
  • International Law
  • Internet Law
  • Juvenile Law
  • Land Use & Zoning
  • Landlord - Tenant
  • Legal Malpractice
  • Lemon Law
  • Libel & Slander
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Mergers & Acquisitions
  • Military Law
  • Municipal Law
  • Native American Law
  • Nursing Home Abuse
  • Patents (Intellectual Property)
  • Probate
  • Public Benefits
  • Securities Law
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Small Claims
  • Social Security
  • Stockbroker Fraud
  • Trademark
  • Uncategorized
  • White Collar Crime
  • Wrongful Death

Show More Practice Areas

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Illinois Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Health Care Law for Illinois on
Q: Is there a place where I can file for monetary support while, I am unable to work while I am sick with covid .
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jul 30, 2022

An Illinois attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. It could depend on your work situation, disability situation, financial eligibility for programs, and other possible factors. Employment law and disability law attorneys might have better insight into this - you... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Illinois on
Q: Father of 10yr old and share 50/50 custody. Me and his mother disagree about the dangers of corona

I have given up going to what I’d consider high risk places long ago, never do I go anywhere without wearing a mask as additional protection for my own protection and my sons. The mother sees no issue going to bars, events etc. that I consider high risk without a face mask. Im concerned this is... View More

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
answered on Sep 21, 2021

It is a difficult situation.

You cannot compel another parent to use the same level of seemingly reasonable to you precautions to protect your 10 year old son.

Also, a 72 hours "quarantine" will not assure that the son will not get exposed to any Corona strain as...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Illinois on
Q: May I change the locks on a home I own that has been for the most part abandoned? Please see additional info below:

Home was purchased at a foreclosure (judicial) sale in Illinois. I have a order of possession from the original foreclosure proceedings. Evictions have been postponed due to pandemic. Home has water shut off. Prior owner lives somewhere else, but still has keys. Prior owner occasionally visits... View More

Erik K Jacobs
Erik K Jacobs
answered on Apr 29, 2021

As a practical matter, yes. Possession has been ordered in the foreclosure. The owner does not RESIDE in the premises. It sounds like he's an occasional trespasser.

1 Answer | Asked in Wrongful Death for Illinois on
Q: Can a probation office or officer be held accountable for a wrongful death?

After serving 7 years my son had completed 4 of his 8 years of parole. His original issues involved opiate abuse & addiction and he was ordered to abstain from alcohol and illegal drugs during his parole. The system was such that his parole consisted of a weekly automated call in number and... View More

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
answered on Apr 16, 2021

No public servant has any personal liability for anything they do in the course and scope of their job. Remote check-in was extended because of the Pandemic. A parole officer is supposed to treat each parolee as instructed. If the Court did not order random drug testing or if it was suspended... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Illinois on
Q: I received a moving violation during my 3 month probationary license period. What will happen?

I received 3 speeding tickets 06/2019, 02/2020 and 03/2020. Due to Covid, I did not have to plead guilty to the third ticket until December 2020. In January I took a safe driving course and was granted a probationary license for my 3 month suspension from Feb 5th 2021 to May 5th 2021. On March 17th... View More

Theodore J. Harvatin
Theodore J. Harvatin pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Mar 22, 2021

The length of the suspension depends upon how many points you will have accumulated. That depends on the nature of the tickets and how fast over the limit you were going. Ticket will probably be dropped if you show up in court. Other driver most likely will not show.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Small Claims for Illinois on
Q: If appealing a traffic fine has expired am I able to take to small claims to resolve to sue the city

Owe $100 for a red camera fine. I contested and lost. It is impossible to get general help to appeal online from the law library as to what forms to appeal etc

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
answered on Jan 26, 2021

IMO- NO. What you are suggesting is a "collateral attack" on your traffic conviction. No state allows this. If you had a statutory time to appeal and missed it for a valid reason or the time to appeal was suspended due to COVID you should hire an attorney to represent you and make the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Personal Injury for Illinois on
Q: Belleville, Il. 62221 of St. Clair County. Question: Will get paid comp from missing 4 days of work (Covid 19)

In regards to being paid by worker's comp.

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
answered on Jan 24, 2021

If you contracted Covid-19 as a front-line worker, you enjoy a rebuttable presumption that it was work-related. Once that is proven, it is the same as any other Workers' Compensation claim. In Illinois, an injured worker is not compensated for the first three days that they must be off work... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Illinois on
Q: my court date is over 100 days from the day i got 2 tickets? can i ask for dismissal, I'm 16, and its my first offense.

i got two tickets in carol stream IL on October 29th, 2020 my court date on the ticket said January 26th 2021. but then in the mail i got a new date saying September 29th 2021, this is very far away and over 60 days by a lot its over more than 200! so I'm wondering if I can ask for dismissal... View More

Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink
answered on Jan 22, 2021

I have heard these types of arguments in the past and they have failed each and every time. Also, due to COVID, this type of argument will absolutely fail. Regardless, you will want to appear and see what happens in court. At the very least you will want to ask for Court Supervision.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts and Real Estate Law for Illinois on
Q: How much would it cost for someone to review a lease agreement for me and help me understand my rights and conditions?

This is a lease agreement with a Landlord for a Small Business. It would be great if someone can do this for free. I am having a hard time understanding a few items in the contract.

T. J. Jesky
T. J. Jesky
answered on Nov 20, 2020

This is a good question, but the answer depends on a number of factors. For example, is this a residential or commercial lease? What is the length of the lease? How long is the lease period and what is the rent? A commercial lease is much more complex than a residential lease.

View More

1 Answer | Asked in Probate and Estate Planning for Illinois on
Q: Do I have to appear in IL estate court if I get a subpoena during covid while concerned for mine & spouse's health?

I received a supoena for IL estate court for my deceased father's estate & and I am concerned for my health (asthmatic) & my spouse at home with prexisting health issues. If I raise this concern, can I be relieved from attending?

Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
answered on Oct 4, 2020

Call the lawyer that subpoenaed you. Or the Circuit Clerk's office in the county where you are supposed to testify. Ask if you can appear by zoom instead. Although you are in Benton, I am not sure in what county you are supposed to testify. We have Zoom court for most civil things in... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Illinois on
Q: 1st offense was Residential Burglary

My friend was arrested for the first time for residential burglary it’s obviously her fist offense she had bond court and was released with ibond she had another court could she be arrested to serve time? Or could she do community service hours?

William Wolf
William Wolf
answered on Sep 6, 2020

Hi. I hope you're safe and well during this pandemic.

Residential burglary is a mandatory non-probationable offense in the State of Illinois.

She is looking at a mandatory prison sentence if she is found guilty. She is facing anywhere between 4 to 15 years in the Illinois...
View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Illinois on
Q: if the parents were never married and theres no court order but he's on the birth certificate who makes major decisions?

I recently told the kids father that now that school is starting back they need to be home during the week for school and tutoring and he can spend time every weekend. Well he doesnt agree with my decision and I fear he wont bring them home because of my decision. Never been to court for anything... View More

David Nachman Byer
David Nachman Byer
answered on Aug 30, 2020

If your former partner is on the birth certificate he is legally presumed in the absence of a challenge to be the child’s father. You both have a theoretical right of equal status to choose how to parent (such as deciding what times the child will be with which of you and the making of any... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Illinois on
Q: Can your car be towed if you are behind in rent
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
answered on Aug 30, 2020

If you are behind in rent you should have gotten a 5 day notice to quit from the landlord, which basically says move out or pay up. After that period is completed and you have not paid up, then you are sort of a squatter. I imagine this is your situation. then you have to be served with eviction... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Illinois on
Q: My family has been trying to settle an estate in probate (no will) for over 5 years. All debts have been satisfied.

The attorney (friend of one heir) keeps returning to court, has not expeditiously settled this and does not relate information to the heirs. He insists it’s due to IRS tax due but the payment was recently returned from the IRS to the estate administrator. Please advise how we can finish this.... View More

Bryan R. Bagdady
Bryan R. Bagdady
answered on Aug 17, 2020

It is difficult to answer your question. When the administrator was appointed, the court would have ordered the estate as supervised or independent. If supervised, then the administrator is responsible to file an inventory and regular accounts. It does not sound as if that has been done. Anytime... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Elder Law for Illinois on
Q: My question is concerning the effects on a 64 year old woman from wearing a mask at a full time job.

I’ve been wearing the required mask at work since March 2020. We were informed it is now a requirement for employment. I do not work in the general public. I’ve reported to my manager of having a sore scratchy throat, & congestion, but now it’s a burning in my chest with trouble breathing... View More

George W. Svoboda
George W. Svoboda
answered on Aug 5, 2020

I'm sorry for your situation. You should go to the doctor and you should get tested. There is no clear evidence that reinfection is not possible. You described symptoms that your employer may believe warrants a test for the virus. You do not have to go to the doctor, but your employer may... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Business Law for Illinois on
Q: If I file Chapter 7 due to small business loss, could I lose my home?

I am a sole proprietary business owner and married. I started my home business in August of 2019 and I work another job. The business has taken a hit due to COVID because most of the income is generated in-person sales. I was thinking of filing a chapter 7 but I was unsure how that could impact... View More

Bryan R. Bagdady
Bryan R. Bagdady
answered on Aug 3, 2020

In Illinois a homeowner is entitled to an exemption for their home. The exemption amount is $15,000 per person - so $30,000 if a married couple (assuming both spouses file). Since you are married, if you have more than $30,000 in equity, then you may have issues. If you have less than $30,000 in... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Illinois on
Q: Does my husbands employer have to pay him to quarantine due to being exposed to COVID 19?
Kyle Anderson
Kyle Anderson
answered on Jul 29, 2020

Hi, this depends on the size of your husband's employer. If they have less than 500 employees, he is eligible to receive up to two weeks (up to 80 hours) of paid sick leave at his regular rate of pay if he is unable to work due to being quarantined or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and seeking... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Illinois on
Q: Commercial lease that ends January 2023. Jan 2021 the personal guarantees go away. What happens if we close Feb 2021?

Because of the virus,we want to close our business after the personal guarantees go away. They go away in jan 2021...but our lease doesnt end until Jan 2023....can the land lord take us to court and demand we pay for the remainder of the lease? How lenient are the courts in these kinds of... View More

Robert Shipley
Robert Shipley
answered on Jul 28, 2020

The lease will have to be reviewed to determine what liability there may be beyond the personal guaranty as well as the potential for an early termination. There are many options to discuss with the landlord including temporary rent abatement or modification, early buyout, allowing the landlord to... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Illinois on
Q: I was furloughed because of COVID-19 for my wife’s medical condition when I asked to return when all other employees

Come back in August from my department of which I was a salary manager they said yes but are taking my salary and manager title from me. But I have never had any type of verbal warning, written warning there should not be one thing in my employment file that would warrant or constitute them from... View More

George W. Svoboda
George W. Svoboda
answered on Jul 23, 2020

I'm sorry for your situation. It's not clear what type of discrimination you are claiming here. You may be able to claim family responsibilities discrimination, otherwise known as caregiver discrimination. You would need to show that the employer reduced your pay and position, because of... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Illinois on
Q: Can I get another job while on administrative paid leave?

I'm currently on administrative paid leave due to my pre-existing health condition that prevents me from wearing a mask

(mask wearing policy is new due to covid pandemic) and I can not work from home to do my job as a warehouse receiver. Can I get another job while on admin leave? Can... View More

Kyle Anderson
Kyle Anderson
answered on Jul 22, 2020

Hi, do you have any employment contract or agreement that you signed? Sometimes employers have non-compete provisions in those agreements that would subject you to litigation if you accepted another job and were in violation of it. Otherwise, generally speaking there is no law precluding you from... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.