Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Mississippi Consumer Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Consumer Law for Mississippi on
Q: Looking into buying a vehicle that was in bankruptcy.. owner has no title bankruptcy has been discharged..
Randall R. Saxton
Randall R. Saxton answered on Feb 15, 2018

The owner will need to contact the lender to see if the lender will release the title. The lender is not required to do so if their lien was never paid.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Products Liability and Health Care Law for Mississippi on
Q: Hello I am a 39 year old male and I was fed neo mull soy baby formula when I was an infant.

This formula caused serious injury and death to many babies.I now have end stage renal disease and also serious mental disorder.I wanted to know if their are any legal actions I may take against the makers of this product now that I am an adult. This formula was made in 1978-1979 by a company... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Dec 5, 2017

It would have to be proven that your renal failure was caused by the formula and no other product, through expert testimony. I don't see it, and then there's the statute of limitations issue, but for you to have some closure why not contact an attorney in your area that offers free... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Landlord - Tenant and Employment Law for Mississippi on
Q: i recently got a garnishment notice from my employer but i never was served any court papers for the lawsuit

if i got to the court to have my hearing done again can the creditor ask for additional money ?

Randall R. Saxton
Randall R. Saxton answered on Nov 11, 2017

Yes, you could be charged for the creditor’s additional attorney fees if you are found to owe the debt.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Consumer Law for Mississippi on
Q: Is it legal to charge a 28% interest rate on a 1000


Baskin Lowber Jones
Baskin Lowber Jones answered on Oct 12, 2017

See the MS Title Pledge Act:

I have seen rates of up to 35.99% per year.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Consumer Law for Mississippi on
Q: What can I do If I was sold 3 counterfeit LgTone Wireless Headphones as if real by an actual business here in Ms

Tried to return them and was told they'd swap them but wouldn't give me my cash back.

Glenn B. Manishin
Glenn B. Manishin answered on Dec 20, 2016

They are in all likelihood liable for possible misrepresentation (fraud) if what you say is correct. The economics of pursuing a legal claim for monetary damages suggest a consensual resolution is the bast outcome.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, DUI / DWI and Civil Rights for Mississippi on
Q: Can a law enforcement officer allow someone of the public to hear the recording on a stop
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko answered on Sep 24, 2016

That decision would normally be made by someone much higher up in the police agency, most likely the chief of police or county sheriff, as the case may be. Also, if the recording of the stop is part of an ongoing investigation or criminal prosecution, the prosecutor would have some input into that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice, Consumer Law, Contracts and Business Law for Mississippi on
Q: Hi everyone, Why is it legal for AT&T to take away my unused minutes after 30 days with gophone. Cash paid in advance.

Upon getting a gophone one must agree to the terms of AT&T.

I'm disabled and on a small fixed income. I can only afford the prepaid gophone . I refill in small increments because I do not make many calls. I'm old and sometimes forget things. My minutes are gone if I forget to... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 30, 2016

File a complaint with the FCC and with the consumer protection division of the Attorney General's office in Mississippi.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Mississippi on
Q: I took out a loan through a bank to finance a car. They sent me a free and clear MS. title. Can I sell it?

There is no lien on my title, however the bank says they have a lien. I will still pay the loan, but want to sell my car. Can I do that

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 27, 2016

if the loan document doesn't mention a security interest, yes. You are still responsible for the loan payments. Might be a good idea to ask the bank or whoever you are making payments to.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Mississippi on
Q: Need help want to know if you can get your mobli home back being consder. Personaproperty after being sold for back taxe

Has been sold at county auction for back taxes

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Nov 7, 2015

Depends on whether the tax is on personal property such as mobile homes. Ask the taxing authority.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Mississippi on
Q: Using EBAY messaging to form a contract between two parties, is it binding?

Sale of a motorcycle on EBAY:

I have set up payment and shipping for a set price and stated, "With his payment to my paypal account the buyer agrees to everything I have stated in this ebay message, and that sell is final and complete."

With his payment, will it make it a... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 27, 2015

A binding contract without a signature? I do not know the full answer and would have to do some research in order to answer. That makes this not just a basic legal question, but one that requires specifically tailored legal advice. Go see a local lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.