Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Emmanuel Coffy
2 Answers | Asked in Copyright and Constitutional Law for New Jersey on
Q: The other day I was filmed without consent in a Laughing situation Not a serious money and I want to know if I can sue
Emmanuel Coffy
Emmanuel Coffy answered on Aug 18, 2020

It always comes back to what are the damages. I agree with my colleague it may not worth the trouble. Good luck.

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Copyright and Patents (Intellectual Property) for New Jersey on
Q: Where can I get a patent attorney?

I have students working on my product for their capstone project. It does not have copywriters yet. Do I need an attorney? Where can I find an affordable one in Cherry Hill NJ?

Emmanuel Coffy
Emmanuel Coffy answered on May 22, 2020

We are located in Freehold not too far from Cherry Hill. We can help with your IP matter.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Trademark for New Jersey on
Q: I need help from a trademark attorney

Under Trademark registration numbers - 0627275 and 063059 does Kittritch brand have ownership of the word Contact? or just the word (their brand) Con-tact? Kittrich sells contact paper under the brand name Con-tact. I purchase and sell contact paper under a different name. Now Kittrich is using... Read more »

Emmanuel Coffy
Emmanuel Coffy answered on Dec 24, 2018

I could not get access to the USPTO files with the registration numbers you provided. be that as it may, your mark namely, contact is confusingly similar to con-tact. If you are in the same market space then there definitely is an issue. You should contact a trademark attorney to review the matter... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for New Jersey on
Q: Are we a true subsidiary? If not could we break away?

Our Japanese parent company, started this subsidiary back in the 80's. We purchase their products from them, pay them in full, and don't share the revenue from the deals that are made. That is the extent of the relationship. What really makes me question if we are a legitimate subsidiary... Read more »

Emmanuel Coffy
Emmanuel Coffy answered on Jul 21, 2018

I agree with my colleagues that your issue being fact specific requires extensive document review to make a determination. For example, the entity may be a subsidiary, an affiliate or an associate. Accordingly, you should consult a lawyer to help you determine the status of your entity. Good luck.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Intellectual Property for New Jersey on
Q: What does it mean when a trademark is abandoned? Like The Golden Girls here:

We are curious as to why the trademark of the golden girls shows as abandoned. Is it still legally owned by Disney?

Emmanuel Coffy
Emmanuel Coffy answered on May 10, 2016

When a trademark is abandoned, the trademark owner may no longer claims rights to the trademark. In effect, the trademark reverts to the public domain and as a result is available to new users. Once a trademark is abandoned, no "good will" remains in the mark. As such, claim of residual... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.