Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Hawaii Employment Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Employment Law for Hawaii on
Q: If I request appeals board of labor and/or Supreme Court to deny attorney fee due to misrepresenration& not preforming

attorney's services hired for,do I still have to pay attorney fee if he has put a lein on money recieved for injury?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Hawaii on
Q: Employment, Unemployment and Covid.

I dont know if this is the right place but my nephews employer won't let him come back to work. He started at the beginning of the summer. Ended up catching covid. He went to the doctor, did his quarantine over a month ago. Job says he still can't come back until he shows negative covid... Read more »

Rhiannon Herbert
Rhiannon Herbert
answered on Oct 6, 2021

Your nephew's job is permitted to ask for a negative covid test or vaccination from your nephew, but they are not permitted to request negative covid tests or other medical information for everyone living in his household.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Military Law for Hawaii on
Q: I have moved to South Korea with my military spouse. Can I receive unemployment benefits from the state of Hawaii?
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko PRO label
answered on Jul 17, 2020

You should speak with the Hawaii unemployment department. Each state has different provisions for unemployment and this information can be obtained from the department. It is not a question requiring the assistance of an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Hawaii on
Q: so my dad got ticket 127a-25 but he just came from work

my dad just came from work then when he just driving back to home he get full over the the cops gave him ticket about 127a-25

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
answered on May 30, 2020

That is just horrible, so sorry to hear this. But even if your dad was driving a company vehicle, the company is not usually responsible for moving traffic violations, it is the responsibility of the driver to comply with the traffic laws.

You should consult an employment attorney in your...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law for Hawaii on
Q: Do I have a case for wrongful termination due to a false accusation made by a whistle blower?

I was an executive of an Independent hotel and was terminated due to a letter from a whistle blower send to the CEO/Owner of the company. The accusations were totally false however the owner of the company decided to terminate my employment without investigating my side of the story. Do I have... Read more »

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer
answered on May 6, 2020

Probably not. Hawaii is an at-will state, meaning that your employer can end the employment relationship for any reason or no reason. There are very few exceptions to this general rule. Without more information, I cannot determine if your situation falls into an exception. You should consult an... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Immigration Law for Hawaii on
Q: Filing unemployment but my I-551 card does not have exp. date, what should I put on the unemployment application?
Adan Vega
Adan Vega
answered on Apr 18, 2020

You are a permanent resident. If you lose your resident card or you are in possession of a resident card that is expired or a version that has no expiration date, you are and, in fact , remain a permanent resident until you voluntarily abandon that status or a judge rules that you are no longer a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Admiralty / Maritime and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Hawaii on
Q: I have a situation with a union that requires me to fly out to another State to their medical facility for a physical.

If I don’t the Union will not “clear” me to work. Amid the Covid-19 outbreak I have asked if the Union has designated “local” areas in my Home State where we can complete annual physicals while reducing the risk of spreading or contracting COVID-19. Their answer was no, and that there... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Apr 7, 2020

The maritime unions are dealing with some extraordinary measures in light of this virus, particularly for vessels operating in the Pacific. There have been newly implemented measures involving restriction of crews to vessels, cessation of crew rotations, etc. Given the current atmosphere, unions... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for Hawaii on
Q: I applied for a position but there were no interviews. It was announced that they choose someone else. Do i have a case

I applied for a higher position in my company. The first time around after 3 rounds of interviews i was a finalist but didn’t get the job. When another position opened up i applied. Later on my director called a meeting and told me they chose someone else. There were no interviews with me. A... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law for Hawaii on
Q: Is there a case that I can make to keep overpayment if I contacted the employer multiple times to try and stop payment?

I was in an upper management role, salaried and gave 2 weeks notice before my date to leave. Corporate climate and no direct HR to speak with, I called out HR number total of 7 times, 2 emails verifying my last day of employment. Both before and after I received overpayment. My employees still... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law for Hawaii on
Q: Can I be forced to join/remain a member of a union?

I work in the state of Hawaii. I disagree with the views of my union, which is basically trying to screw our company over every chance they get. Meanwhile, union members are encouraged to show up to work drunk, and sleep on duty by our shop steward. I no longer want to be associated with this... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury, Insurance Defense and Business Law for Hawaii on
Q: Is licensure required to practice Biomechanics, particularly Forensic Biomechanics, in the state of Hawaii?
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Aug 16, 2016

Depends on what the person is doing. For many aspects of engineering you don't need to be a licensed P.E.

As to "forensics" that will depend on whether a Court recognizes the individuals training, experience and background.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.