Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Michigan Employment Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Business Law and Employment Discrimination for Michigan on
Q: I have a question regarding workplace legalities.

Yes, this is my question; I work in a holistic medicine office, my boss put a voice activated recorder in my office and didn’t tell me about it. I do patient initial exams in the office. We keep our patient data HIPPA compliant. Is a holistic medicine office required to Keep patient data Hippa... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for Michigan on
Q: Is it legal for a company to pay me using two different checks for working at two stores, but under the same company?

So I work for A restaurant group that owns multiple stores but are all owned under one name. I recently worked at a store I normally don't work at to help out, and then finished out my week at my normal location. When I received my paycheck for that 1 week, I received a paycheck from the 1... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jan 6, 2022

Interesting question that I think you would need to contact a labor attorney about. You may also want to reach out to the state's wage and labor board. I can see why you'd inquire. I think some of it comes down to how this restaurant group and corporate structure is actually arranged.

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law for Michigan on
Q: I should qualify for the Student Loan Forgiveness Program except my employer has me listed as working 58 hours per week

part time, when I actually work full time, often 50 hours a week or more. Do I have a case to argue that I do qualify for the Program based on my actual hours worked?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Health Care Law for Michigan on
Q: contract allows either party to terminate with 60 day notice, I have resigned but end date of 5/6/2022

Can employer terminate now that I have almost worked 60 days since resignation without having to pay my wages for 60 days since they are severing contract before my last day of work provided in resignation?

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer answered on Jan 5, 2022

This depends on the language in your contract. You should contact an employment lawyer in your area to review the contract.

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Family Law, Tax Law and Juvenile Law for Michigan on
Q: My dad wants to take my w2's this year for taxes. I'm 17 and only lived with him for a month and 2 days. Can he claim me

I was a state Ward for 2 and a half years. I worked at tropical smoothie from April to November I wasn't a state Ward anymore in September. I moved out of my grandma's and with my dad and lived with him for a month and two days. Now he wants my w2's so he can claim me. Is he able to... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Michigan on
Q: i was previously a full time employee of pnc bank since 2012. moved to part time due to ada

i worked full time for pnc bank since 2012, until may of 2021. i reapplied for my medical accomadation and was told i was no longer eligible for full time. i was switched departments and my pay was cut. and i was demoted to part time staus.they state is due to my previous hours worked in the 2... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Michigan on
Q: My previous employer fired me as a no call no show when I tried to call off before going to the hospital for a week.

They have the ability to call this an improper call off but did not and would not resolve with me after I submitted my discharge papers.

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Dec 23, 2021

Right, wrong, or indifferent, Michigan is mostly an "at will" employment state. You may leave, or your employer may let you go, at any time for almost any reason or no reason at all.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Michigan on
Q: What is the correct course of action if you believe an employer is treating their employees unethically or illegally?

There is an employer using contractors as employees and paying them in a way that they commonly work for less than minimum wage. The Employer uses constant threats of lawsuits to try and keep people from working outside of the company. The Employer has tried several times to pay people for work... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Dec 20, 2021

Depends on who you are to this company. If you are an employee, the old military adage "do what your rank can handle" comes to mind. If you are outside the company, your options are more limited. But if you are in a position to stop doing business with this company, you could do so and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Michigan on
Q: Michigan UIA requesting money back after paying unemployment claim.

I filed for a PUA claim using the reason "independent contractor experienced a significant reduction in usual or customary services" as I did work for the local school.

When I went to re-certify earlier this year they asked for proof of 2019 income and I gave them my 1099.... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Dec 14, 2021

Possibly. You'll need to read the notice you received closely to determine what steps are needed at this point. You may also wish to seek the assistance of an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Michigan on
Q: Can my job fire me if I injured myself on the job and sent home/seen doctor. No work for week got letter in mail fired

I was sent home from work because I injured myself on the job. I went to the doctors office. I torn my tendon in my hand. Doctor put me in hand stablizers told no work for a week. I called in everyday into work as I was suppose to but received a letter in the mail from work that they fired me for... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Dec 7, 2021

Possible workers comp claim. Seek attorney for advice on that and take things from there.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Employment Law and Products Liability for Michigan on
Q: Ok, my mom sold for Paparazzi Jewelry, under the guise of it being hypoallergenic, as well as nickle AND lead free;

She found out that it was a lie. They had nickle AND lead, and some have reported the lead is toxic. Now, I know MLMs are extremely hard to catch, but they tout these jewels, necklaces, bracelts, etc as LEAD AND NICKLE free to ALL consultants, AND customers. Is there ANYTHING my mom can do to sue... Read more »

Thomas. R. Morris
Thomas. R. Morris answered on Nov 29, 2021

This sounds like a breach-of-contract claim. The devil is in the details, and there are more details than I can list in this format. Who would be the defendant? Is there a written warranty by the seller regarding the merchandise? Where is the defendant? Is there jurisdiction here in Michigan?... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Michigan on
Q: I gave four week's notice to my employer as I found a new role at another company, last day 12/15. My current employer

phoned by new employer and asked that they move my start date to 1/1 as my current employer wants me to continue working on a project. My new company is an offshoot of my current company, i.e. they are completely separate legal entities but because of the relationship many of the people know one... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Nov 23, 2021

Is it legal? Depends on the outcome you are hoping for. They obviously can't make you continue working. Do you have a separation agreement?

In all honesty, with the relationship between the companies, why rock the boat?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Michigan on
Q: If a federal back ground check ask if you have been convinced of misappropriation is retail fraud considerd misappropria

Been employed 19 yrs now employer is mandating a federal background check. It ask if you ever been convinced of misappropriation or misappropriation of funds. If I have a retail fraud conviction 7-8 yrs ago do I need to disclose that in this part of the form? I would rather not mention it at all.

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Nov 10, 2021

Misappropriate would must often mean embezzlement, not necessarily retail fraud.

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Public Benefits for Michigan on
Q: Got a notice from the State of Michigan Unemployment Department- please help!

I got a letter from the Michigan Unemployment Office saying a “question of eligibility and/or qualification has been raised on a claim in which you are an interested party”. The dates they want proof of income on range from 3/2020 all the way to 5/2021.

If I got unemployment benefits... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 23, 2021

You really need to speak to a lawyer soon, and preferably before you respond to the request for information. Whether criminal charges arise may depend on intent.

Just remember: there's an old tale that says it's not the act itself that gets us in trouble; it's often the...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Michigan on
Q: Can a former employer ask for money back? After they discovered they over paid me when I worked there.
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 21, 2021

Yes. And in fact you may have an obligation to pay it back if it was unearned.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Michigan on
Q: Hello I had a question

I had a lawsuit and won never met the lawyer and didn’t really know how much I was getting only what he told me,is there any way I can really find out

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Sep 17, 2021

If you were represented by an attorney, you should contact that person's office for details. Typically what happens in a settlement is that the party making payment sends a check to the recipient's attorney, made out in both the attorney's and the recipient's name. That check is... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Business Law and Employment Law for Michigan on
Q: Can I work for a staffing agency internally and as an employee contracted out by the agency to a client?

I work for a staffing firm that does payroll/hr/admin contracting for a large client. I’m a corporate employee who manages the hr system for both the staffing agency and the client, in the past I managed payroll for both companies as well (the contracted agency employees and the direct client... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Sep 15, 2021

As a practical matter, I'm not sure it's to either company's benefit for you to manager HR for the both of them. Payroll is another matter, which I don't think is much of an issue.

The arrangement is likely legal; "best practice"? probably not.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for Michigan on
Q: An individual verbally harassed and physically threatened me at work -& there's video evidence. What are my options?

The individual that harassed me continues to work there, and creates a hostile environment.

Eva Zelson
Eva Zelson answered on Sep 17, 2021

It’s good that there is hard evidence in the case, rather than a case of he said she said. The first step is to document with the HR department at your company. Hopefully your employer will take steps to ensure that this does not happen again. If they do not, you will have a compilation of... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Michigan on
Q: can atty help me write constructive discharge letter to my employer?

employed as a gate keeper at gated condo in ST Clair Shores Mi a condo owner was drunk and tryed to ram me hood to hood fortunatell he came nose to nose he got out and laughed in my face previously my boss ron said Ishould watch my back so he knew he was dangerous

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Sep 7, 2021

To what end would such a letter serve? If you wish to find a different job - which I wouldn't blame you if something like that happened - would they object to you receiving unemployment?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Michigan on
Q: Can a motion be filed for a labor relation suit under 25k be transferred to a court of competent jurisdiction?

The case is under 25k of the jurisdiction limit of the circuit court and I would like to know if it can be transferred instead of being dismissed?

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Aug 21, 2021

Seek an attorney. Civil law is not intuitive - there are a lot of rules and procedures you need to follow just like an attorney; you cannot succeed on merit alone. And it's not about being competent: lawyers spend years in school, and even longer in practice mastering all the rules and... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.