Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Juvenile Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Ohio Juvenile Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: Can juvenile probation visit our home even though the child on probation is not in our home?

The charges my juvenile was convicted of stemmed from an incident that involved his younger brother and younger sister. Disposition has been set and he has been ordered to stay at a "Boy's Home for Troubled Youth" for no longer than 12 months. His probation officer is now scheduling... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Domestic Violence, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: How to formally inform child welfare court that both parents moved states?

Married parents are pro se defendants regarding a child welfare case that moved states because the barrier to obtain secure and maintain stable housing. This was due to the tort harassment events by government agencies, community servicing organizations, and the courts that assign hopeful people to... View More

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on May 1, 2024

You should file a Notice of Change of Address with the court giving the court your new physical address, mailing address (if different), telephone number, and email address.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: I missed court. For child support. They have issued a warrant. I can file a motion to recall warrant.

I wasn't able to make it to court. Do to roads being closed due flooding. Due to Strom the nite before

Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
answered on Apr 9, 2024

No you cannot. Contact your attorney and make arrangements to turn yourself in at a convenient time. Make sure you have any urgent needs taken care of as you may be held for a day.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: My 5th grader, has been suspended with recommendation for expulsion. How to we prepare for the expulsion hearing?

My son is an 11 year old 5th grade. He made verbal threats about harming/killing 6 students in his class to his guidance counselor. He has been suspended for 10 days with the recommendation for expulsion. I have no idea how to prepare for the hearing. I don't even know what questions to ask a... View More

Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
answered on Apr 3, 2024

What you should truly do is seek out an attorney who has both some criminal defense experience, and education law experience. Your question doesn't state whether or not this student has a 504 plan or an IEP. If either of the is the case, then you need to make sure that the school is conducted... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: A 16 yr old boy and 15 yr old girl are dating, and have been dating for almost 11 months. When he is 17, is it illegal?

The girl just turned 15 and he will be turning 17 in a couple weeks. Is it against the law for him and her to continue dating when he is 17? How does the law apply to this type of scenario? If two people are dating and they are both minors, but one is older than the other by a year and a half, when... View More

Linda  Malek
Linda Malek pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Mar 25, 2024

Dating or having sex? Dating is not illegal at that age, obviously we are assuming parents are ok. However, when the young man turns 18, she will be turning 16, I am presuming shortly after…It would not be statutory rape because she is 16 (the age of consent). If she is 15 then it would be... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: Is CPS allowed to give my name to the family they're investigating?

I spoke to a school official about my friend's safety at home. They made a report with CPS and CPS did a wellfare check. Somehow my friend's parents found out I instigated the report. Was my counselor or CPS allowed to share my name?

Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
answered on Jan 3, 2024

If you ask for your name to be kept anonymous, it ought to have been. It doesn't seem clear from your question, however, how the parents you mention the actually stand out your name. They may have guessed it from the context. When you determine how you're information what's... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Juvenile Law and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Q: Do I have to let CPS enter my home?

Landlord called CPS on me because my house was not clean. (I have suffered from a bad depression spell over the past month.) They also gave me a 3 day notice to vacate the premises. I have got the house cleaned but now it is a mess due to moving. No children are at home for the time being..they are... View More

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Dec 20, 2023

In Ohio, you generally have the right to refuse entry to Child Protective Services (CPS) unless they have a court order or exigent circumstances. If CPS is investigating due to concerns about your home's cleanliness, it's crucial to address the issues promptly. However, you can discuss... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Juvenile Law, Criminal Law and Family Law for Ohio on
Q: I was in Lake county Ohio jail and I had a juvenile court date set for months. I notified the jail and so did my public

Defender did too and I was never taken to court. My 6 month extension wasn't granted and they gave custody to grandparents.

Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
answered on Dec 12, 2023

I am not sure what the exact question is, but based on these facts (which do not state when this occurred) I would have the public defender (if he represents in the Juvenile action), file a notice of appeal and get counsel appointed to file an appeal. You will want an attorney to navigate the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: Can a no contact order be issued as a judgement entry, and how long is it in effect?

In 2020 I was served with a no contact order that was entered into a case that I was not apart of and there was no hearing on the matter. As part of a CPS case against my wife for neglect of my stepdaughters, that has since been closed the judge made a judgment entry in the case of no contact but... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Dec 2, 2023

In Ohio, a no contact order can indeed be issued as part of a judgment entry, especially in cases related to family law or child protection matters. Such orders are generally issued to safeguard the welfare of those involved, particularly minors.

Regarding the duration of the no contact...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: If I need to get emergency full custody of my daughter to get her out of an abusive situation, how do I go about it?

I was divorced in one county in Ohio, I live in another county in Ohio and my daughter lives in another county in Ohio different than the divorce and myself. She is in an abusive situation with her mom and her mom's family, including sexual abuse by her stepdad. I really need help and... View More

Roger  Bouchard
Roger Bouchard
answered on Feb 3, 2023

You can file for an emergency custody order. Generally, your motion has to state the child is in imminent danger.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: Can i do anything about a nurse giving wrong dosage meds at school?

My son is in middle school and takes a controled substance after lunch daily. Nurse gave him 2 pills today instead of 1. She called and told me her mistake. My son said he asked why 2 pills and she said becayse his dose changed.. and came and got him later and said she made a mistake. She told me... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 16, 2023

An Ohio attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. I hope your son is okay. It could depend on whether there were any significant damages as a result of the wrong dosage. I hope there were no serious consequences, but any lawsuit would be based on the severity of the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: If a judge says no contact with ur children can the parents still get supervised visitation with their children?

The prosecutor and judge said no contact with our children, can we still get supervised visitation through children services?

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Jan 5, 2023

If there is a no contact order arising out of a criminal case, or out a juvenile court case, children's services cannot override such an order and permit visitation because they would literally be facilitating a crime. It is against the law to violate a no contact order.

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: My attorney said that I do not have to go to court but I was subpoenaed from juvenile court because they are going to

Terminate my rights as a father and the mother has already had him taken away and Im doing this for the best interest of my child we have a trail date but my attorney says I do not have to go that he will go in my place is this true

Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Nov 9, 2022

You need to consult with your attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: When I turn 18, do the things that are “mine” become my property even if I didn’t buy them?

Most of the things were gifted to me and some were purchased myself. The things I want to take are used by me alone and probably so. Can I legally take them when I leave home. And what about my car if it is under my dads name but I’m the only one now that drives it?

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Nov 7, 2022

A vehicle belongs to the person named on the vehicle title. That owner would have to agree to change the title, or could demand the return of the vehicle. Gifts are gifts, and belong to the recipient. Although if ownership is disputed, there could be a lawsuit, and a judge would have to decide... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: Daughter turned 18 sept 30th ran away has missed school every day except 3 days school is kicking her out police won't

Help me with her because she's "18" she's not taking any of her depression meds birth control or anything she's doing drugs and drinking every day with this boyfriend 16 yes old police won't help me school is pressuring me I've told them she ran away but they said... View More

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Oct 25, 2022

At 18, she is considered an independent adult, and she can make her own decisions free from parental control. You could file with the probate court to obtain guardianship of her -- if there is a doctor diagnosis that she might be a danger to herself or for other medical or psychological reasons.... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: How can we take away parental rights from someone in prison for attempted murder? Never married.

The father has been in prison since the child was 10 months old. Child is now 5. We don't not want him around child when he is released from prison. They were never married and he has not been a part of her life since she was a month old. He is a very dangerous person. How can we legally make... View More

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Sep 26, 2022

If he never went to court to establish parental rights, he doesn't have any. If you want to be sure, or preempt his attempt to establish such rights, you file a private custody action in juvenile court seeking to terminate his rights.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: Can my 12 year old kid walk on the sidewalk alone? About 2 miles is the farthest
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Sep 26, 2022

This stuff has become super subjective. I’ve seen folks charged with child endangerment in some really questionable circumstances.

An officer encountering the child is likely to take a bunch of stuff into consideration. What’s the neighborhood like? And I’m not just talking about...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: Ive been charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor...he turned 18 a week after our last court date

He moved out to care for his pregnant girlfriend and now they have a baby. Can I still be in trouble?

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Sep 13, 2022

Yes, the law is concerned with the state of affairs on the day the offense allegedly took place, not what has changed since.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Personal Injury, Juvenile Law and Social Security for Ohio on
Q: Im 17 years old (18 in nov) could I take legal action against my mom for dental neglect and keeping my survivors benefit

My mother keeps my insurance cards from me so I cannot make appointments on my own and denys me dental care appointments as a form of punishment when I have an abscess tooth and a gum disease I believe. I have asked for years to go to a dentist as I've had this abcess for years. (Around 2... View More

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Aug 12, 2022

Talk to a teacher, school counselor, or other trusted adult about your situation. They will be able to find the help you need.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: I have family member who won't be 18 until july5 but has graduated. Can he leave his house without problems?

He graduated with honors in may, works 2 jobs got a full scholarship in columbus his mother is very mentally abusive and he may have to leave early and come to my house (family) she does not agree with his choices of college, so life is very hard for him. Can he leave without me or him being in... View More

Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish
answered on Jun 23, 2022

Pursuant to Ohio Revised Code 2919.23 concerning Interference of Custody no person, knowing the person is without privilege to do so or being reckless in that regard, shall entice, take, keep, or harbor a a child under the age of eighteen from the parent, guardian, or custodian of the person.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.