Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Ohio Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Ohio on
Q: I have nephew that lives with the grandmother and my nephew visit us sometimes and he does not feel safe where he stays.

My nephews mom lost custody of all her kids so now her mother has custody of them. My nephew comes visit us sometime because he feels safe with us he says. His grandmother and her partner are alcoholics. My nephew ran away from his grandmother because he witness his little brother got hit really... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law for Ohio on
Q: Auto Loan in Ohio

I noticed on my upside down Ohio auto loan the lender never filled in the vehicle info it is blank. Can I get out of loan

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Ohio on
Q: How soon after the initial filing of a divorce complaint in ohio is the case normally dismissed?

I filed initially in 2015 and me and my soon to be ex-husband have been estranged since. Shortly after filing I was unable to keep working as I was unable to find adequate child care, I’d assumed the case had been dismissed as he’d refused to sign however the case is still showing as open on... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Q: my new tenant paid deposit but can't pay first months rent, do I have to let her move in?

She paid the deposit and put a few boxes in the detached garage. She just told us that she was in an accident and won't be able to work for 3-6 months but still wants to move in without paying rent hoping for short term disability at 1/2 her pay rate!! Do I have to let her move in if she... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Intellectual Property and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Ohio on
Q: Hi, I have a quick question regarding to a recently published patent. It was me who discovered and invented the method.

I discovered and invented the method for the preparation of a nanocomposite when working as a postdoc at that institution, I have written a manuscript about the method when working there but I left the job, and I have the photocopy of all my experiment records about the method. I just noticed that... Read more »

Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn
answered on Jun 28, 2022

This is not a DIY thing. You will need to contact a patent attorney who will compare your manuscript with the issued patent. It is likely that the university had agreements in place where you would have had to assign your rights over to the university. They may or may not give you a cut of any... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Ohio on
Q: I live in ohio. I was unaware my insurance lapsed. I let my son use my car. He had an wreck. Other car was totaled

The insurance company is suing me and my 18 year old son for almost 30 thousand. I own a car and a double wide mobile home on a rented lot. We do not have money like that, none in savings. I also have 2 other children who live here. The insurance company said they will get their money by all means... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes for Ohio on
Q: fed inmate is serving 5yrmin. 1 old charge is W.U.D. would his points/minsent- change cuz bill passed felons can own gun

If a federal inmate is serving a 5 year min for non violent drug charges. Because of the new bill passing that felons can carry guns, would his level (points) go down which would make his mandatory minimum go down which could get him a lower sentence? (He has a weapons under disability felony. Time... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Jun 28, 2022

There is no new bill passing allowing felons to carry guns, and even if there were, it is unlikely to impact your friend's case, which it sounds like has already been decided.

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Q: I receive subsidized housing and the house I was supposed to move in has serious health code violations

The housing agency still wants me to move in and will not terminate the contract with the potential Lanlord despite the pictures I sent them of bugs, broken furnace, broken cabinets, broken doors, broken porch and I have already paid my security deposit. I have the potential Lanlord on video... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Products Liability for Ohio on
Q: The wheel on my Walker rollator broke it's been the third one in a year, I injured my shoulder and neck

Neck and my left hand the company that supplied it told me too bad you're not getting another one so I called the manufacturer they didn't care either way, do I have a lawsuit for injuries

0 Answers | Asked in Constitutional Law for Ohio on
Q: I'm filing a name change in the state of Ohio, and was told it would not be posted in the newspaper. Is this right?

It's a first/middle name only change. The local probate court takes care of the newspaper portion. I have double checked that this will be the case. I was also wondering if this would mean the process will move faster, because there's no hold for 30 days after publication

0 Answers | Asked in Education Law for Ohio on
Q: Is an institution legally obligated to destroy the special education records of the former student upon request?

A request was made by a former student to have their special education records immediately destroyed. The institution has yet to acknowledge their request.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Ohio on
Q: Can I fire my attorney for my divorce case? This is in Ohio

We have pre-trial next week and trial next month

Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish
answered on Jun 27, 2022

Clients are free to fire their attorney at anytime and can do so in writing to inform of the decision and to request that no further work be done on the case. It is highly suggested that prior to doing this clients consult another attorney who can potentially take over the case since there might... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Ohio on
Q: police said they was not searching my property until 1130 I have radio transmissions proving they lied can I do anything

I have radio transcripts of the whole night every officer using radio to call in items to check if the items was stolen before they had a warrant and stated under oath they was not searching until 1130pm call logs was before that

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Jun 28, 2022

You can share this information with your lawyer who may be able to use it to file a motion to suppress evidence and/or leverage a better deal.

0 Answers | Asked in DUI / DWI for Ohio on
Q: I was charged with a 4th OVI and the courts want my car immobilized with a club but can I sell it?

I know they could fine me the cost but can they take the car from the new owner?

2 Answers | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Tax Law for Ohio on
Q: Just took a walk on my property (OH). My neighbor chopped down a bunch of my trees and destroyed the boundary line fence
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Jun 25, 2022

Take photos, get a surveyor to mark the boundary, get an arborist to determine the value of trees lost and cost of replacement, and cost to replace fence. Contact your insurance agent, ask your neighbor to pay your monetary damages, and use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney to... Read more »

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Employment Law for Ohio on
Q: Is it legal for men to use a women's restroom if it is clearly marked for women? In a coworker setting.

Male coworkers at my wife's job keep using the women's restroom even though it is marked for women

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.