Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Ohio Social Security Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Social Security for Ohio on
Q: When does state law supersede federal policy?

I am on regular social security retirement.

My minor child also receives benefits.

The Social Security Administration insists on making my son's mother his "payee" simply because she is the "custodial" parent.

The Social Security Administration is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security and Elder Law for Ohio on
Q: My husband has a large pension/401k retirement fund as well as Social Security(SS). I am the sole beneficiary.

I only have Social Security. We are both 68 and retired. If he goes to a nursing home in the future, does all of his SS as well as pension/401k go to his nursing home bill, while I am left to struggle to make ends meet on just my SS?

Moshe Toron Esq
Moshe Toron Esq answered on Mar 19, 2022

In Ohio, there are Medicaid rules in place to protect the community spouse. This includes rules regarding a fair split of all the income, as well as special rules regarding protecting a 401k.

However, there is a lot of confusion out there regarding the rules.

It is imperative that...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Ohio on
Q: Can I get SSDI if my Narcolepsy is bad enough? I fall asleep standing, driving, sitting, doing anything.

I already take stimulants prescribed by my doctor but he says I'm at the highest dose and I still fall asleep. I am very high risk at my job for injury and can barely even meet quota anymore because I'm just so tired. I even fall asleep while working on my feet.

Maria Elena Bermudez
Maria Elena Bermudez answered on Jan 4, 2022

Yes, you can get SSD if your narcolepsy is severe and prevents you from performing work functions. It's great that you are treating with a doctor and hopefully they are documenting the problems you are having with work. This will help your claim. Here's some info from SSA's... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Ohio on
Q: Ex-husband passed away about 4 years ago. We were married for 15 years 2 days. Pension (Opers)

I recently found out that he possibly had a pension through the Richland Co. Highway Dept. How do I get information on this as they told me since I am the ex they can’t give me that information? Mansfield, Ohio

Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp answered on Mar 8, 2021

Your options may be fairly limited. Was the pension addressed when the divorce/ dissolution was handled? The default in Ohio is that once a divorce occurs, the ex-spouse is treated as though he or she pre-deceased the other spouse.

You may be able to look into the probate court records...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Ohio on
Q: Somebody use my social to commit a crime don't I have a right to this info

I got pulled over they ran my plates and they were flagged they said somebody use my social to commit a crime but would not give me any more info since they used my social don't I have a right to know the act or the person who used my social

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer answered on Feb 10, 2021

Since you suspect someone is using your Social Security number and may be committing identity fraud, you should immediately report the incident to the Federal Trade Commission's (FTC) at their website Social Security also recommends that you review earnings posted to your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Social Security for Ohio on
Q: Am I allowed to earn money while receiving ssi? If yes how much can I earn, and not affect my payment?
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore answered on Dec 30, 2020

FYI, the short answer is any work is a bad idea. SSA doesn't have a minimum amount that is required before they review your file and possibly make a new decision.

The longer answer is that SSA does not review files for a couple of years at a time. To get their attention sooner, you...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Ohio on
Q: How do you fix a social security number issue with twins that some how got there number mixed up

One sister bought a car on the other sister social security number

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer answered on Dec 1, 2020

Each one should take great care to keep her Social Security number confidential. It is part of her identity and bad things can happen if you Social Security number is being used illegally. That being said, it does occasionally happen that more than one person uses the same Social Security number,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Social Security for Ohio on
Q: Are there laws regarding employers changing the retirement date set forth by employee ?

My sister has given the company she has worked for almost 20 years a Jan 31st, 2021 retirement date. They have come back with a Dec 31st, 2020 date. She has been top salesperson for years and has made them millions of dollars. Her social security starts in Feb 2020. She opted for Jan 31st so... Read more »

Neil Klingshirn
Neil Klingshirn answered on Nov 20, 2020

Your sister gets to choose when she wants to retire. If the company ends her employment before that, it is called termination. She would be entitled to unemployment compensation benefits at least until she retired and, if she proved that her age or some other unlawful reason motivated her... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Ohio on
Q: What happens after you win your disability case
Scott F Bocchio
Scott F Bocchio answered on May 29, 2020

You will receive an award letter from Social Security informing you of the decision including whether or not you will receive back pay and when ongoing benefit will begin.

Attorney Scott F. Bocchio

Legal Rights Advocates

P 855-254-7841

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Social Security for Ohio on
Q: We have a 15 year old daughter. We presently have a shared parenting plan (50/50), her mother is trying to break this.

I am 69 years old and get social security survivor benefits for my daughter. I provide her mother with $300/month and pay all my daughter extra activities fees out of the survivor benefits. What should I be prepared for if the plan is broken? I'm contesting the change on the basis my... Read more »

Anthony C. Satariano
Anthony C. Satariano answered on Mar 19, 2020

I would suggest consulting with your lawyer. Your lawyer will know the specifics of your case and the traditional approach your local jurisdiction takes to custody changes.

It will also depend on what you mean by "plan is broken" and what "change" you are...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Social Security for Ohio on
Q: Is it illegal for my ex wife to keep my childrens social security numbers away from me if I'm supposed to claim one
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Feb 18, 2020

Check your prior tax returns, which will list the children's SSN. You can get copies of prior returns from the IRS. If the divorce decree and separation agreement specified that you could claim as a dependent, and she doesn't provide the SSN, then you could file with the court to order... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Ohio on
Q: Why does it take so long to get disability approved when disability is obvious. In 2020 you can get information so fast
Scott F Bocchio
Scott F Bocchio answered on Jan 28, 2020

Applying for disability benefits is a drawn out process in many instances. There are millions of people waiting in line for a decision. The Government is limited in personnel. Make sure to have all medical documentation up to date along with medical appointments, medications etc. The more... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Ohio on
Q: I finally got approved for disability. I have a brain tumor for which i had surgery on May 2, 2016. Its location

Prevented total removal. It is a meningioma located near my pituitary gland. It obstructed my left orbital nerve. I’m blind in my left eye. I’m now hypothyroid and tired all the time. I had a stroke in April 2018. I haven’t worked since surgery. I was looking forward to returning... Read more »

L. David Ferrari
L. David Ferrari answered on Oct 3, 2019

There is too little in your statement to give a helpful answer beyond speculation. It may be SSA is just slow in getting you your back pay. They often take 3 months to process it and can take more time. At this point, no lawyer will want to help you because you have already won and they can make no... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Ohio on
Q: My children father is on ssi child support says i cant receive any help i feel its not fair im struggling

My friend gets ssi and they take 250 out his check for his kids he doesnt know how they did that he has never work before he doesnt get any survivor benifits either so what can i do with my children father take him to court

Denise Rini Esq
Denise Rini Esq answered on Jul 18, 2019

Greetings from a steamy afternoon. If a person is receiving SSD, (Social Security Disability), there is derivative benefit for children, though when there is SSI (Supplemental) is means based and the person does not have a work history, there is no derivative for the children.

Call the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Ohio on
Q: My dad forged my signature on a social security check and cashed it without my knowledge. What can I do.

This was earlier this year and he is now deseased. The bank is investigating but says that there is likely nothing they can do.

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jan 4, 2019

Since he is deceased, probably not much. If you can prove it, you may get the bank refund it, or the SSA to reissue the check, but it would almost certainly take more work than its worth unless they volunteer.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft, Landlord - Tenant, Libel & Slander and Social Security for Ohio on
Q: Yes i was staying with some peaple i thought was my friends but have been robbing me for years and i was month to month

I was paying 400 a month to his mom when i left 2 weeks ago i told them i would b back to get my stuff but been sick under doctors orders and let them know and now they said i cant have my stuff no clothes i have none all my sons stuff from when he was little and household things they kept it all i... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Feb 19, 2018

File a police report. They might help. Or contact your local legal aid, or sue the landlord in small claims court for wrongful eviction and the value of your things and the cost to find alternate living arrangements.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Social Security for Ohio on
Q: How difficult or easy is it typically to get a Social Security overpayment erased via bankruptcy? I live in Cleveland,OH

My husband is being held responsible for a ridiculously high overpayment from Social Security that can't possibly be paid by us. He was getting disability benefits for years due to his family inaccurately labeling him as disabled and then using his benefits for their own personal needs. I have... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jan 12, 2018

Bankruptcy, while it may wipe out some other debts making this one easier to pay, isn't going to wipe this out. He needs a lawyer to help him demonstrate to SS that he didn't cause the overpayment or benefit from it so that they go after the right people and also so that he avoids... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Ohio on
Q: Who has access to the social security number.

Cps took custody, my daughter is staying with someone who is not a blood relative but cps thinks it's safe. Does the person she is living with have the social security number she is not a foster parent.

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jan 3, 2018

It is very likely that they do have the number.

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Divorce, Medical Malpractice and Social Security for Ohio on
Q: Can I file for bankruptcy after I've filed for social security disability
Stuart Nachbar
Stuart Nachbar answered on May 18, 2017

Yes, you can file for Bankruptcy. Social Security Benefits are exempt from Bankruptcy and Creditors

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Ohio on
Q: Does US Social Security payments count as income when calculating Australian Age pension?
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jun 30, 2015

In Australia? Wow, I have no idea. You would need to ask an attorney in Australia. I don't believe this site includes attorneys from countries outside the US.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.