Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oklahoma Collections Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Health Care Law, Small Claims and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: im being sued by a hospital for not paying back a debt that i have partially paid back. it says i need to write a letter

i tried using the Solo suit but my petition seems different that what its asking. can anyone help me?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 17, 2022

This is something that an Oklahoma attorney is best suited to advise on, but your question remains open for four weeks. If this is something in the lawsuit stage, an ordinary letter might not suffice as a response. There could be more formal legal responses needed. Unfortunately, it's... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: My husband had a judgment filed against him. He passed away in March.

Am I responsible for his judgment?

Our home is in joint tenancy

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on Feb 24, 2022

I am sorry for your loss. I would recommend that you contact a probate attorney to discuss your husband's estate (assets and debts) and specifically the question you have posted. A probate attorney might be the best attorney to assist you in determining how to handle (or fight) the judgment... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: Do I need an attorney to do a writ of assistance to obtain personal property and money over 10,000.00?
Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Feb 22, 2022

Oklahoma allows pro se representation so no you do not have to use a lawyer. However I would advise you to use one because there are a lot of things that can get missed if you are not familiar with the process.

2 Answers | Asked in Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: Got served a notice to appear in court over furniture we allowed to be repossessed years ago company won’t settle

We tried to call and see if they’d settle for a lower amount to keep it out of court they declined and are threatening putting Liens on property and taking wages over $1300

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Sep 7, 2021

What is your question? They are not required to settle. Once they have a judgment they can garnish your wages for 25% and put a lien on your property. If you allowed the property to be repossessed years ago you might have a defense but you would need to speak with an attorney. Good luck!!

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: Can a bogus check from 15 years ago that was 66 dollars be brought up now and i dont even remember writing it

In oklahoma

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Aug 24, 2021

Whether you remember the check or not is irrelevant. However, if the bogus check was from 15 years ago and they have made no efforts to collect (lawsuit, garnishment, etc.) then they would be past the statute of limitations.

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: Are there any free resources to help file Bankruptcy? I lost a Business due to Covid and I'm unable to pay for filing
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jul 22, 2021

You can petition the court to pay in installments or to waive the filing fee entirely.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Health Care Law for Oklahoma on
Q: In the state of Oklahoma is a wife responsible for her husbands medical bills after death?

There is no property owned nor any other asset to go to probate. He leaves me a single parent of our 4 children, all under the age of 13. He was the only one working. I have been a homemaker for the length of our 14 yr marriage. He did have a life insurance policy for $25000. But no other financial... Read more »

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Jul 13, 2021

Yes, you can be held responsible for the medical debt of your spouse. You can see if you can negotiate a lower amount with the creditors or you can see if bankruptcy would be an option for you to discharge the medical debt. Good luck!

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Collections and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: In the state of Oklahoma can a creditor or a repo man pay somebody to tell them where a car is that's up for repo?
Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Jul 13, 2021

I am not aware of any law that would prohibit this so I believe they could.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: Can I be placed in jail over a medical debt from a collection agency who has an attorney now representing them?

I have a debt collection agency who is represented by an attorney who has taken me to court and still hasn't provided details on what the medical bills are for. I just know they are from at least 2009; I was pulled over last year and was sent to jail over a bench warrant that was issued back... Read more »

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Jul 13, 2021

You don't go to jail for not paying the debt. You go to jail for not appearing in court when the Judge orders

you to appear. Generally, it is after a judgment is awarded to the creditor and they file for a hearing on assets. You are served with an order to appear at the hearing on...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Collections and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: ) I have questions regarding the validity of a judgement in Canadian Co. from 2009 that according

To the title company would be subject to being satisfied from my portion of the real estate equity, just recently having acquired, in a joint tenancy along with my sister and one of their spouses, days prior to my moms death she requested we file a deed transferring ownership. The judgement is in... Read more »

James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr answered on Apr 15, 2021

Judgments can be liens on real property of the judgment debtor once they are filed of record. Generally, the lien lasts for 5 years but they can be extended for successive 5 year periods. You would have to consult with an attorney with all of your documents to determine if the judgment is still a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: I separated from my ex husband years ago but left the electric bill in my name am i still responsible for it?

hes passed away and left me with about $600 in passed due bills

Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean answered on Mar 10, 2021

You are still responsible to the utility company. If you ever file for divorce, remember to ask to be reimbursed for any amount that you paid.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: Can credit card companies use plaintiff's different names when suing for credit card debt?

My girlfriend divorced about 3 years ago. Recently, a bank brought two different suits against her for two different credit card debts from when she was married. In one case the bank used her maiden name which she now goes by. But in the second case the bank used her former married name which... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 11, 2021

An Oklahoma attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. As a GENERAL matter, a claimant could use various forms of the defendant's name to cover all bases. This could also including using "A/K/A" in the caption. An Oklahoma attorney could offer the most... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Real Estate Law, Banking and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: can a por person had legal counsel for a divorce
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden answered on Jun 26, 2020


1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: I negotiated a garnishment from the usual 25%, which added up to $264 every two weeks, to $100 every two weeks.

How long from the judge signing the order does the collection company have to implement the order?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jun 25, 2020

3-4 weeks.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: Were my rights violated?

I went to court unrepresented, the judge was upset with that and locked me up. I do not recall any formal reason from him other than that. I stayed in jail for two weeks just to qualify for public representation. I wasn't given forms to file for one until the district attorney was called and... Read more »

Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan answered on Jan 21, 2020

most judges are reasonable and quite tolerant in terms of giving you time to secure private counsel to represent you if you bond out of jail. I suspect the judge gave you more than one chance to show up with an attorney and you were either unable to secure one you could afford or you refused to do... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Business Law and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: I own a used car dealership. I have a truck a man never made a payment and hasn't for 3 months now tried repo larceny?

He apparently has sold it or parted it out

Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim answered on Nov 1, 2019

There is a larceny by fraud charge that may apply, but it is really more of a civil issue. If the vehicle is $10,000 or less, small claims court may be an inexpensive way to get a judgement on the person and gain access to any assets they may have. Boeheim Freeman Law... 918-884-7791

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Collections and Identity Theft for Oklahoma on
Q: There's been a payday loan taken out in my name, with my SS#, what can I do?

Its not being paid back, and its going on my credit report. What should I do next? How can I prove it is the person that I suspect it to be that is responsible for this? I disputed the mark on my credit report, but I don't know how to prove to them it wasn't me.

William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Oct 20, 2019

Quickly contact PayDay and ask them to preserve the video surveillance from the transactions they claim to have with you. Contact the police and advise them that your identity has been compromised. Contact Equifax and the other major credit reporting agencies and advise that your identity has been... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: I completed a total remodel of a rent house now owner refuses to pay me, how can I collect my money
Doak Willis
Doak Willis answered on Sep 12, 2019

If you were the contractor, you can file a mechanics and materialmans lien on the property as long as it is not too long after you last worked on the property or supplied materials. Then if they don't pay, you can foreclose the lien.

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Collections and Gov & Administrative Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I purchased a car from private seller she gave me bill of sale i have not had momey to transfer ownership

I got pulled over in weaverville nc and they towed the car i went to try and get my clothing out of car and thats when i found out the owner had passed away can i aleast get my clothes out of the vehicle

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Collections, Health Care Law and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: can i sue my mom for not paying my medical bills even though I'm 18

she promised me and my dad that she would help contribute to my medical bills but hasn't given a cent. once i met the deductible this year, she went and got a sleep study. last year when i met the out of pocket she went and had nose surgery. i live with my dad but i am on her health insurance... Read more »

Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud answered on Apr 9, 2019

If your mother agreed to pay your medical bills, then, legally, you can sue.

However, it may not be in your best interests, in the long run, to do this. A lawsuit will likely take you several years and cost you a lot of money. It could also destroy any relationship you may have with your...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.