Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Texas Education Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Education Law for Texas on
Q: My autistic son’s ten years old, facing serious discrimination problems from school officials/Sp.Ed what are my option?

My son was professionally Diagnosed with high functioning autism in May 2017 and found disabled by the state of Texas in 2018. The school has continually refused to acknowledge medical professional diagnosis is outside of the school district, repeatedly lost medical records, directly lied about not... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Business Law, Education Law and Employment Discrimination for Texas on
Q: Can I be let go from a teaching job for lack of electrical knowledge? Complicated situation

The school I’m at had a blown transformer that evacuated the building for a day. About 4-5 days later on the playground a student put her hand in a floodlight hole that I was not aware had wires in it. She came to me saying her hand was burning and was sent to the school nurse then sent home. She... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Education Law and Employment Discrimination for Texas on
Q: How do I find lawyers that filed/won disability discrimination lawsuits against higher education universities in Texas?

I have an ADA protected disability and was dismissed from my PhD program after repeated complaints from my supervisor who refused to provide requested reasonable accommodations (shifting of work hours). My work performance/progress was never assessed and I was denied in-person meeting with the Dean... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Education Law, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Texas on
Q: Help plz- Principal at my kids school has unenrolled her from school due to false claims I dont live in district but

My daughter was assaulted in Oct 2021 on campus by male student with broken scissors held to her neck threatening to end her then jabbed in her stomach, but they were rounded ends so it didn't break skin. The principal down played it and tried to talk me out of reporting to police, I did... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Family Law, Personal Injury and Child Custody for Texas on
Q: I am the custodial parent of a 10 yr. old, the NCP withdrew her from school w/out my permission and moved, can I sue?

He has been violating judges orders and I am in the middle of filing a Petition for Habeas Corpus. I have no idea where he moved. How can the school allow that?

Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White answered on Apr 15, 2022

File a police report and have him arrested for interfering with custody it is a felony .

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Family Law for Texas on
Q: My dad forced me to quit school in the 7th grade, how do I take legal action

My dad was very abusive and forced me to quit school, I have no further education beyond 7th grade, I am currently 19 years old.

Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White answered on Mar 12, 2022

I am not sure of there is legally anything you can do at this point . Get you GED and look forward not backward, You could file a police report and see if they can charge your dad but don't count on any criminal charges being filed,

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Texas on
Q: Can I audio record a teacher

Hi, I am a 13 year old attending a middle school in Texas. If I feel uncomfortable in a class am I legally allowed to start an audio recording on my phone so If the teacher does something that could be considered illegal/abusive I can have evidence of it.

Kimberly Winslow
Kimberly Winslow answered on Oct 28, 2021

Generally speaking, Texas is a single party consent state. That means you can record a conversation you are a part of without notifying the other party. However, at school there is a greater expectation of privacy. It is likely against school rules, and very likely infringes on the rights of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Education Law and Uncategorized for Texas on
Q: I’ve been trying to research. I can’t find a definitive answer. I am looking at studying law.

Is it still possible for me to become a attorney with a family violence misdemeanor in TX?

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Apr 7, 2021

I do not know the answer but the first thing I would research is the investigation relating to the "Declaration of Intent" that all law school students must pass to become an attorney in Texas. The investigation decides whether or not you are mentally and morally fit to become an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Social Security for Texas on
Q: Is it required of teachers to fill out a SSA Teacher Questionnaire for a former student who has graduated and seeking

SSI disability? Is this a federal requirement? Are there consequences for a teacher who doesn't answer.

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer answered on Mar 22, 2021

No, it is not mandatory that a teacher complete a Teacher Questionnaire. However, please consider completing either the questionnaire or a letter to describe your former student's functioning because the information you provide is an important part of the disability assessment. For more... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Personal Injury for Texas on
Q: Can I sue the school for forcing my son to work out till it caused a Non displaced fibula fracture in his leg!

My son is ten years old weighs 170 and is around 5'4 he was in DAEP a discipline school for kids for a couple weeks during this time he didn't do his homework so his school for a whole school day worked him out for 45mins then 15 mins studies ALL DAY! During these work outs he tells them... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 7, 2021

A Texas attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a month. I'm very sorry for your son's injury. You could reach out to local attorneys to discuss in detail; law firms that handle these types of cases generally offer free initial consults. If the doctor's... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Texas on
Q: If a 13-year-old in the 7th grade, in texas suffers from ADD, is there any sort of special help/bonus they can receive?

this student resides in Dallas county and goes to highland park middles school, in the highland park independent school district.

Kimberly Winslow
Kimberly Winslow answered on Feb 4, 2021

It is possible that your student could qualify for 504 Accommodations or a Special Education (IEP). You may consider requesting an evaluation for eligibility.

In order to be entitled to a special education, the student must have a qualifying disability and the disability must adversely...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law, Construction Law, Domestic Violence and Education Law for Texas on
Q: Remedies for protective order falsely obtained

Protective orders used to recover property coowner

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Dec 27, 2020

If you were served notice of an upcoming protective order hearing, and the attached application included false accusations, then you should hire an attorney to contest the issuance of the order. A protective order is a civil matter, even if the justification is an accusation of criminal behavior,... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Intellectual Property and Education Law for Texas on
Q: If someone retypes my contract, different font same words then signs, is this legal and his property, not mine?

Have determined this is not a print program in my issue. I haven't signed it yet. Misrepresentation of fact? An attp to defraud me by his creation of intellectual property?

Kathryn Perales
Kathryn Perales answered on Dec 14, 2020

I think you are asking whether, by copying a contract you created, someone is infringing your copyright rights, and if so, how you can stop them or get them to pay you damages.

If your contract is legally considered creative enough to have copyright rights, then the verbatim copying is...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Employment Law and Education Law for Texas on
Q: Is it possible to get a texas teacher certificate reinstated after it was voluntarily surrendered permanently.

I am a former educator and in october 2012 I was brought into the district for inappropriate relationship with a student. They showed text messages we shared and asked i wanted to resign or have it go public. I resigned and in January I had my teaching certificate voluntarilly surrendered without... Read more »

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Jul 24, 2020

Ask an attorney who focuses on a practice area like Administrative Law and/or Professional Licensing.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Education Law for Texas on
Q: My son is a transfer student and their trying to deny him

my son has a 504 in place for a disability and the school is trying to no longer accept him as a transfer student because he wasn't able to be at school alone this year but has kept grades up just because they aren't making money on him can they do this legally if they already knew and... Read more »

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Jun 5, 2020

This is not a question of criminal law because discrimination is not a crime... although maybe it should be.

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law and Education Law for Texas on
Q: Costo por trámite se residencia americana Bajo entrada legal al país y validación de título profesional.
Adan Vega
Adan Vega answered on May 25, 2020

El costo depende de la forma como intente obtener la residencia. Por ejemplo, por el trabajo, inversión, por petición familiar, etc. Tendría que conocer los detalles de su caso para determinar la mejor forma para ayudarle.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Family Law for Texas on
Q: I am only custodial parent. Someone else withdrew my daughter from school without my permission she is 16. Legal?

I know who is sheltering her. I don't know if that same person withdrew her. She knows we want her home but this person allows her to do whatever she wants and opens the door for her. I've sent police, nothing stops it.

Arpita Legha
Arpita Legha answered on Apr 8, 2020

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this during this time. It does not sound like the actions to withdraw your daughter from school were legal. You most likely need to file an enforcement action or another motion to have your daughter brought back to you based on the custody agreement or... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Texas on
Q: Is Texas a one party consent law for recorded phone conversations? Is this admissible in court?

I need a lawyer for juvenile son with disability. He has been the victim of malicious prosecution

No summons to appear

Detained 17 days proper protocol not followed for suicide watch

Denied medication

“Sentenced” without lawyer

Received “deferred... Read more »

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Feb 10, 2020

For the purposes of adult criminal law, introducing the recordings will require a witness who is acquainted with the voice of the speakers and can identify them. The witness should be able to establish who made the recording, how it was made, that it is a fair and accurate representation of what... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Texas on
Q: what is the difference from first party and second party
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 16, 2019

In simple terms, it could distinguish the practice of handling a claim through one's own insurance (first-party) or through an outside insurance (third-party). In civil procedure, the terms could be used in new designations for the parties when people who were not part of the original action... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.