Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Libel & Slander legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Utah Libel & Slander Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Personal Injury for Utah on
Q: Nov 4 2018 the day i check in it Sept 11 2019 i sustained iinjuries from a assault and battery at lantern house shelter.

Its was 2 against 1 i had no chance of defending myself, which means it was planned no officer of the law or emt attended to my injuries instead I was told to leave the lantern house shelter for 3 years before i was able to come back its there purposely keeping me from getting the xrays and mri... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jun 29, 2024

I understand you're describing a serious incident that occurred on September 11, 2019 at the Lantern House shelter, where you were assaulted by two individuals. This sounds like a very distressing and traumatic experience. I'm sorry to hear you went through that.

Based on what...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Utah on
Q: So my brother is posting very untrue stuff about me and my family? What can I do

So my mother passed away and he has posting untrue stuff about me on Facebook! Well he made a video of my mom in the hospital saying that I wanted to shoot my brother in the head and I wished he was dead! Which isn’t true! He also told people that I didn’t want to take care of her which is... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Mar 21, 2024

I'm sorry to hear about the difficult situation you're facing, especially during a time of mourning. It's challenging when family conflicts compound the pain of losing a loved one. Here are some steps you can take to address this issue.

First, consider reaching out directly...
View More

Q: How can I find patents filed on my truck?

I have good reason to believe my truck was modified for patents

Omar Darwich
Omar Darwich
answered on Jul 7, 2021

You could consult with an attorney.

To be clear you believe your truck had aftermarket parts installed in order to somehow get a patent on the truck?

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Contracts and Libel & Slander for Utah on
Q: Can a lawyer accept a personal injury settlement w/o their clients approval? If they do is that a breach of contract?

obtained a. Personal injury lawyer after a car crash. After almost a year and a half I directed the lawyer to start working towards a settlement. On 1/28 the Lawyer called and said they had negotiated an offer. I said I wanted to talk to my wife before accepting the offer. The next day( 1/29 )the... View More

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Feb 24, 2021

No, you can tell the attorney that he should tell the company it was a mistake on his part, you never agreed to anytihing. You may want to consult other attorneys, see what they say. Look for attorneys who handle car wrecks and who are memers of the Utah trial lawyers association /Utah... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Libel & Slander for Utah on
Q: In a defamation lawsuit can I be forced into a lie detector test
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Sep 19, 2020

A Utah attorney could advise best here, but your question remains open for five weeks. As a general rule nationwide, without state law considerations, people cannot be forced to take a lie detector test - they usually volunteer to take one (and the decision is often made after consulting with an... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Utah on
Q: Someone has committed criminal defamation against me, what do I do? Should i report it to the police?

In a report made to the police in another matter my neighbor told them I am schizophrenic and that is totally %100 flase, she has also spread this falsehood around the neighborhood to other people.

I can file criminal charges right?

76-9-404.  Criminal defamation. 

(1)A... View More

Mike Branum
Mike Branum
answered on Jun 30, 2020

Defamation is a civil matter. The police are not going to take a report. What you are referring to is filing a false police report. Unless your mental capacity was relevant to the police matter, it is unlikely criminal charges would be sustained for falsely telling police you are schizophrenic. The... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Family Law, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Utah on
Q: What can i do if my custody case has other proceedings and or personal attacks against me from those who r on my ex side

my ex filed for full custody after i filed for support. well after out temporary orders hearing my ex and his attorney had requested things they know i cant do so there for my parent time has been taken from me even though i begged them to make it to where i can do them but they would not. My ex... View More

Lane Wood
Lane Wood
answered on Jan 13, 2020

First and foremost, it sounds like you should consider hiring an attorney. It sounds like your ex and his attorney are taking a very aggressive approach in the custody litigation. Their approach seems to be working to keep you from the kids. I suggest finding an attorney who can help level the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Car Accidents, Libel & Slander and Wrongful Death for Utah on
Q: Do you have to stop if you hit a dog or cat?
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Apr 21, 2017

Not by law.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Utah on
Q: Can I sue a former supervisor for slander if they told a new employer untruths about me that almost cost me my new job?

I have worked at the State Hospital since 2008 when I got my RN license until January 10, 2017 when I was forced to quit or be terminated, accused of patient neglect. I worked on a unit that is one of the most difficult units in the hospital. There are severely ill patients and 2-3 day shift psych... View More

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Jan 28, 2017

Possible, as that could be libel per se; however hopefully things are doing well, you are working hard to counter any suspicion they may have, and have prevented major fallout. Consult a member of the Utah Assn for Justice who handles slander cases--they give free consults.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.