Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
California Social Security Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Social Security for California on
Q: Mothers maiden name on birth certificate doesn't match name declared when coming to US as refugee. Can I get soc securiy

I am a citizen, and I want to apply for social security. But I am worried about this information not matching and getting myself and my family in trouble.

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Jun 9, 2020

The issue is your name, not your mom's name, because you are registering for Social Security. If your mom pretended to be someone else, then that is a completely different issue. It should not affect you if you were born in the United States.

If your mother has concerns, then she...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Juvenile Law and Social Security for California on
Q: can my father refuse to give me my social security benefits until I’m 18 even though he kicked me out?

months ago I was kicked out,my father didn’t really care but I didn’t tell them where I was going so my fathers sister reported me missing. I still had the missing person report even though everyone including my dad knew where i was at. we got that resolved and both of them stated it was fine... Read more »

Mike Darlington
Mike Darlington answered on May 25, 2020

Call or get online with the Social Security Administration; explain the situation to them and they will head you down the right path. May be a slow process but just take one step at a time and don't lose your patience.

2 Answers | Asked in Public Benefits and Social Security for California on
Q: Applying for SSDI after receiving Unemployment assistance?

I have a progressing illness which qualifies me for SSDI.

Now I lost my job because of COVID-19.

I am planning to collect my unemployment now and then, if no luck finding a job that I can do (if any), I will apply for SSDI.

My question: Can (will) the fact of me receiving... Read more »

Nancy J. Wallace
Nancy J. Wallace answered on May 14, 2020

EDD has Unemployment Insurance or State Disability Insurance (SDI). Self employed do not get UI. Self employed do not get SDI (it's a deduction on workers checks ). Social Security Disability ftom the Federal govt is a possibility. But it requires doctors writing you cannot work, and it... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits and Social Security for California on
Q: Receiving Government relief and Unemployment while applying for Disability?

I am in the process of filing for SSDI in CA which coincidentally happens during the ongoing COVID19

Following announcements I have filed for temporary relief and unemployment insurance- just as the Governor said.

The condition of applying for SSDI is absolutely no income from any... Read more »

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on May 12, 2020

To get SSDI you need to certify that you are physically or mentally incapable of performing work. To get unemployment insurance benefits you need to certify that you are ready willing and able to work full time and that you are seeking full time employment. The two are mutually exclusive. If you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Public Benefits and Social Security for California on
Q: I was paid short term disability but now ins. co. sys they made a mistake. Do I have to pay them back?
Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Apr 27, 2020

There is no way anyone here can answer that question without knowing far more. However the general rule is that the law does not usually allow someone to benefit from the mistake of another, and in most situations where a contract is concerned, money received by mistake needs to be paid back or a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Health Care Law, Public Benefits and Social Security for California on
Q: Permanent resident can't receive CalFresh not cash assistance?

My GF has had applied for CalFresh assistance and just has received a phone call from the worker asking all sorts of questions.

According this worker, they expect that GF would supply details about how she had obtained the green card many years ago, along with detailed information about her... Read more »

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Apr 1, 2020

She only needs to provide proof of lawful permanent resident status by way of her alien number. Perhaps, she can also show a copy of her ‘valid card.’ She has no other status, so other questions seem irrelevant, perhaps, unless this concerns more, which seems questionable.

Any other...
Read more »

Q: Can I deposit my Daughters $19K Jackpot winnings into her Special Needs Trust so that SSI doesn’t stop her monthly pmnt

She is on SSI and is Bi Polar. There is a Special Needs Trust set up for her. She won this playing Bingo and the Casino took all the taxes out and gave her $5,000 cash and the rest in a check because that is what she asked them to do. I found out about it and have all of it now and wondering what I... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Mar 10, 2020

Yes if her special needs trust is a first party SNT; otherwise no. If it is not a first party SNT the best choice is probably an ABLE account if she is eligible.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for California on
Q: How do I change my SS Disability from a payee directly to me?

I receive SS Disability due to a very serious work accident. Due to my mental condition at the time the courts directed it to be payed through a payee. My physical condition still prevents me from working but my mental condition has improved. I would like to receive my SS payments directly in my... Read more »

Scott F Bocchio
Scott F Bocchio answered on Jan 31, 2020

You would likely need to have the payee removed first prior to making such a request.

Scott F. Bocchio, Esq

Legal Rights Advocates

P 855-254-7841

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security, Employment Law and Personal Injury for California on
Q: What are the guidelines for California ssdi

I worked most of my life and did pay into disability benefits. I was not employed at the time of my injury and was granted ssi. Can I put in an appeal to get ssdi benefits?

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jan 22, 2020



1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for California on
Q: If someone is approved for Supplemental Security Income, how does the person know what disorders qualified him for it.

A relative qualified for SSI; however, the Award Letter does not state the disorders that allowed him to receive disability payments. Because he has so many disorders, we don't know which one or which ones were used as the bases to qualify him. Who do we contact to receive this information?

Scott F Bocchio
Scott F Bocchio answered on Dec 31, 2019

I would suggest that he contact the local Social Security Administrative office and ask for a breakdown. He will also receive an award letter that should provide a detailed explanation as well.

Attorney Scott F. Bocchio, Esq


Legal Rights Advocates

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Small Claims and Social Security for California on
Q: disabled person rights on repossession of car in california far away from home left stranded

with wallet and cash still in car was so scared was sick for days told the tow people that i just need my wallet and meds even had police officer call and nope was stranded hungry scared in not so good neighborhood my disabled placard was showing correctly, I could of had another stroke or worse... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 3, 2019

I'm sorry for this terrible experience, given your disabled condition. A California attorney could advise best but your question remains open for four weeks. If you have medical documentation of the sickness/injury you suffered here, such as ER visit or doctor examination, gather them and see... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Domestic Violence and Social Security for California on
Q: I need to know if I can get a job but I'm fairly certain I can i have a brain tumor and i have some cognitive issues

I'm also a victim of abuse for about 80%of my life my niece also got sexual with me over texting there were pictures she sent me without my consent

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Aug 16, 2019

need more info.

not sure what you are asking.

whether you can get a job is not a legal question.

if you are a victim of anything you may want to talk to a PI lawyer. They usually offer a free consultation.

they will probably suggest you talk to the police.

Q: I live in CA. I am not represented. What would be the appropriate DWC forms to address the following?







William John Light
William John Light answered on Jul 8, 2019

Get a workers comp attorney for your case, or pay for a full consultation on how to address the issues you raise. This forum is not for detailed, free advice on how to litigate your case.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Social Security for California on
Q: I receive SSI. Have I committed fraud by not timely reporting a change timely?

I receive SSI (Social Security Supplemental Security Income.). I failed to report a change in a timely manner and as a result was overpaid. I did eventually report it. Just not in a timely manner. Is is problematic whether the over payment would have been discovered, expect for my bringing to the... Read more »

Marc David Pelta
Marc David Pelta answered on Jul 7, 2019

More information is needed for me to correctly answer your (good) question.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for California on
Q: can social security have you thrown in jail for overpaying you 10s of thousands of dollars
Jerry Lutkenhaus
Jerry Lutkenhaus answered on Jun 18, 2019

This depends whether or not there is fraud on your part. Usually, Social Security just declares an overpayment and asks you to pay it back.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Identity Theft, Internet Law and Social Security for California on
Q: I was a victim of a Social Security scam. I withdrew 25K in cash and deposited it via bitcoin. Can I get my funds back?

Someone called me pretending to be a Social Security officer and claimed that my SSN was linked to drug trafficking, money laundering, and that there was a warrant out for my arrest. He had an accomplice that spoofed his caller ID to make it look as though he was calling from my local Department.... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 10, 2019

Probably not. Thousands of gullible Americans fall prey to "get rich quick" scams like this every day of the week. If you have the name or any other information about who any of these scammers are--or the names of the banks involved--there are experienced lawyers who can try to trace the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Social Security for California on
Q: Me my family has been Harass in social media. This person have used our family photos and have created his FB account

and he have commented with bad filthy comments on me and my wife. And he have used my family photos. I have 3 minor children and worried this person will do something bad to me and my family image. I need help or advice to stop this person miss using my family photos in Social Media in unethically... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 1, 2019

See if you can get screen shots of each item, then talk to the police about a harassment charge.

3 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Sexual Harassment and Social Security for California on
Q: Good morning, my name is Wayne, and I'm trying to get on social security disability because of a few illnesses

I'm HIV positive, since August of 2013

Mental illness for Bipolar disorder, Manic depression, severe anxiety, insomnia since 2008 and lower back pain since 2010 do to a accident. What should I do? I applied and was denied, and I have the paperwork for my denial claim bit I... Read more »

William John Light
William John Light answered on Mar 15, 2019

You will need to consult with a Social Security Disability attorney about your specific case. Justia is for a general response, a starting off point. You are well beyond that. A simple internet search for SSDI attorneys near you will get you the contact information of attorneys than can advise... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Gaming and Social Security for California on
Q: Will they find out I’m underage by matching my real ssn to my fake California ID?

Hit poker jackpot for $1300. I am underage and used fake id with all my real information to claim jackpot money. Used my real ssn on w2g form. Will I get caught that I’m underage? Can they tell I’m underage with my ssn? What should I do next.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Sep 27, 2018

more info needed.

it would be speculation on my part since i handle DUI and Accidents.

maybe contact a local lawyer that deals with this issue.

your appearance would be more of a tip off than SSN

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Social Security for California on
Q: can i file for ssi

In 1991 i entered united states coast guard,,in feb of that year! 2/1/2 months later was general discharged due to personality disorder!! Since then i have developed social withdrawal have become a recluse homeless , been traumatized over n over with the hideous deaths of my mother,,and three... Read more »

William John Light
William John Light answered on Jul 1, 2018

You may not need a lawyer. You can file an application online.

You can also schedule an appointment with a local Social Security office to file an application. Call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday or...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.