Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Maryland Social Security Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Social Security for Maryland on
Q: Can you invest in stocks while collecting workers compensation and SSDI? I know they send a 1099 at the end of the year.

Does this count towards substantial gainful employment? I want to invest my money but I don't want it to be counted against me. I am also collecting SSDI and I don't want to lose my benefits.

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jan 31, 2021

No. Investment income is "unearned income" and there is no limit on the amount of unearned income you can generate for yourself. SSDI and workers' compensation benefits are only affected by actual employment/work income. Self-trading your own investments is not considered employment.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Elder Law, Public Benefits and Social Security for Maryland on
Q: 64, disabled, and on SSI and Medicare/Medicaid. About to inherit about $50,000. How can I avoid losing benefits?

Dad's original will set up a Special Needs Trust with all funds just for me. He later amended the will so funds are immediately disbursed among each of the children. I think I'm in a bind and don't want to lose my only income source as well as my health insurance due to having... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Oct 7, 2020

You are legally allowed to direct a gift or inheritance into a special needs trust, without receiving it directly yourself. You can have such a trust created when the time comes to receive the inheritance, or if one already exists, you can direct the funds into the existing special needs trust. Not... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Social Security for Maryland on
Q: How can an average person know how successful a disability lawyer has been in getting people approved for SSDI?
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore answered on Sep 14, 2020

This is a great question! The average person will have difficulty being absolutely sure how many cases their attorney wins. Issues that will offset this is how often an attorney will accept social security cases. Some choose to accept every case that comes in the door. This does not mean they are... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Federal Crimes, Intellectual Property and Social Security for Maryland on
Q: I received an email about because I got a notice of le a legal proceeding should I take it seriously

Case File : PS0103019

Court House Address- -United States District Court 500 Pearl Street, New York, NY 10007.

Lawsuit Cost - $4526.65(Including Attorney Fee/Court Fee/All Taxes)

Last Date to File Lawsuit - July 28th 2020.

Attorney Name- Paul Smith (Sr. Attorney in... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jul 28, 2020

It's a scam. Ignore it.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Products Liability, Gaming and Social Security for Maryland on
Q: Can my parents take my phone

Can my parents take my phone if I am 15 and I bought the phone under my own name and with my own money. If they take it away is that stolen prop

Griffin Klema
Griffin Klema answered on May 3, 2019

Whether it is "stolen" or not, I'm guessing there's at least a fair reason the phone was taken from you, even though you seem to disagree with that reason. At 15 years old, you are probably still considered a "minor" which means you are too immature to have certain... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Elder Law and Social Security for Maryland on
Q: My husband is in an assisted living facility and received a writ of summons for a credit card debt, what's next?

He only has Social Security payments and a very small pension. The SS payments are eaten up by the cost of the Assisted Living facility. The pension is below $150. The credit card debt occurred when he suffered a series of strokes and seizures which has necessitated him living at the assisted... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 1, 2019

Do not agree to pay any of it. He is "judgment proof." He may want to file a general denial asking for proof he owed the debt. There may be defenses depending on how old the debt is.

Contact your loal legal aid/legal services organization.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Civil Rights and Social Security for Maryland on
Q: I need representation for probate of my mother's estate. I need someone who deals with special needs trusts

I am on social Security

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jan 24, 2019

Try to find a lawyer in the jurisdiction where the estate is filed, for convenience. Most estate lawyers understand special needs trusts. You cannot solicit (and attorneys cannot solicit) business on this site per the site rules. You can, however, call lawyers who answer questions on this site,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security and Estate Planning for Maryland on
Q: I have an adult daughter receiving SSI disability.Her name is on my utility bills, bank accounts, etc., as I want her to

be the beneficiary for everything. I already have a will designating her to be the recipient of my assets. I received a letter from Social Security wanting to discontinue her benefits because I have her name listed on my bank accounts, and I believe they are probably computing the money in my... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Sep 23, 2018

She should not have any assets in her name or jointly with yours. You should establish a special needs trust to hold any assets you leave her in your will. That will protect the assets from disqualifying her from her benefits, while at the same time preserving the assets for her benefit and needs.

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Social Security for Maryland on
Q: Why wasn't my lawyer appealing this case? And why didnt I get my benefits when this company was found recently for fraud

They were found guilty of fraudulently denying disability benefits!

Ronald V. Miller Jr.
Ronald V. Miller Jr. answered on Feb 28, 2017

It is hard to say why you lawyer did not appeal your case. It could be there were no appellate grounds to appeal or perhaps your retainers indicates an appeal was not included. The answer would be to ask your lawyer.

The fact that fraudulently denied disability payments -- while awful --...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Maryland on
Q: Why should I do if my parent ssi have been put in our joint account without my knowledge and I've been spending it

My parents died early this year..

Robert Martin Louque Jr
Robert Martin Louque Jr answered on Oct 6, 2016

You are going to have to pay it back. It's best to contact them and inform them of your parent's death and come up with a plan to back the amounts you spent you were not entitled to receive.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Maryland on
Q: Hi, My deceased husband claimed his disability sinced 1997? SSA denied his claim.

In 2006 my deceased husband filed his claim to Court of Columbia under Judge Lambert. 2008, the Court of Columbia release a Mandate Order to SSA sign by the three Judge. 2009 August 24th my husband died. I am living in the Philippines as of this present. Attorney, as a survivor i... Read more »

Camlinh Nguyen Rogers
Camlinh Nguyen Rogers answered on May 5, 2015

Based on the given facts, the answer may be YES or NO. To properly give a legal advice the attorney has to make further facts investigation. Complete contact form at to learn how we proceed with your case. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Maryland on
Q: I was married to my former husband for 12 years. When can I get his Social Security?
Clint Curtis
Clint Curtis answered on Mar 26, 2013

Your marriage lasted 10 years or longer;

Your ex-spouse is unmarried;

Your ex-spouse is age 62 or older;

The benefit that your ex-spouse is entitled to receive based on his or her own work is less than the benefit he or she would receive based on your work; and

You are...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.