Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Georgia Insurance Bad Faith Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Insurance Bad Faith for Georgia on
Q: CIGNA called me. They made a mistake on my short term disability payments. They state I have to pay them back. Do I?

I applied for automatic deposit. 4payments we’re electronically deposited. I also received weekly paper checks. CIGNA states electronic deposit was done under a different persons account and deposited in my account. They say I have to pay them back the 4 payments that were electronically deposited

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Jul 31, 2019

Yes, you have to pay back money that was erroneously sent to you.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith for Georgia on
Q: What can the state of GA do if i have a balance to a car insurance company?

I got a call from a lawyer saying they were going to report my balance to the state since i havent paid the balance in 6 months. What happens now?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 28, 2019

Contact your insurance carrier or your agent at the soonest and clear this up with them. As a general matter, state agencies do not go after people who have balances on their insurance premiums; many people pay their insurance bills on installment plans and have balances. That, by itself, is not a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Insurance Bad Faith for Georgia on
Q: What are the current Georgia codes for insurance companies paying a claim or misrepresentation?

Accident was 4-19-19. Insured motorist under USAA claimed 100 % responsibility in complete loss of my car(27500). They have misrepresented themselves and told me to go through own insurance company. I told them no and I would like to go through USSA. No money for personal loss.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 17, 2019

I hope you are okay as a result of the accident. It's possible that what you were told does not amount to misrepresentation, although it could have been a recommendation that might not have been the best course of action for your interests. Before further time elapses, try to arrange a free... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Federal Crimes and Insurance Bad Faith for Georgia on
Q: how do i file when the father is ordered to provide health insurance but refused?

my son is on medicaid right now but his father refuses to get him health insurance and makes more than enough to provide insurance?

Robbie Levin
Robbie Levin answered on Mar 27, 2019

If the Court Order requires him to provide insurance, then your remedy would be to file a Contempt action against him.

For more info visit my website at

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Business Law and Insurance Bad Faith for Georgia on
Q: Insurance Agent's dishonest conduct & practices

My question is a little complicated. This has to do with a State Farm Insurance Agent who owns his own agency and is allowing his son to commit theft and fraud out of his agency/office. What is the best way to go about reporting this?

David Edward Boyle
David Edward Boyle answered on Jan 28, 2019

You can always file a police report to file a complaint about the crime. You can also contact the corporate office of State Farm and make them aware of it.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Insurance Bad Faith for Georgia on
Q: can there be a bad faith claim for an insurer not paying claim on commercial vehicle damaged?

Father owned taxi company. Independent contractor that rented car weekly was in an accident. Did not file report. Father contacted his insurer, they issued a claim number and never got back to him. This was a year ago. He since was unable to get vehicles inspected by the city, and subsequently lost... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 28, 2018

Usually yes,though on the facts waiting a year is problematic. Suggest you look for a member of the Ga.Trial Lawyers Assn that handles bad faith claims. They give free consults.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Insurance Bad Faith for Georgia on
Q: Have you seen George Bulletin 17-EX-1 ? How would view that message in comparison to OCGA 33-23-1.1 ?

Bulletin was sent out Sept 25, 2017

Andy Wayne Williamson
Andy Wayne Williamson answered on Sep 29, 2017

This appears to be a question about Georgia law. (I am assuming that a George Bulletin should be a Georgia Bulletin).

If not please repost with more details as your question is very broad and open ended.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Insurance Bad Faith for Georgia on
Q: Prudent layperson standard for emergency room services.

My daughter fell and had a large open wound which was bleeding profusely. On arrival at the ER, she was in hypertensive crisis with a BP of 178/145. My insurance plan denied coverage because I took her to the nearest ER rather than the only in network ER which was 15 miles away. How do I apply... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 18, 2017

File a complaint with the Ga. Insurance Commissioner. That may get their attention. Depends on travel time, nature of the wound, your abilities.

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Criminal Law and Insurance Bad Faith for Georgia on
Q: What should I do if I am falsely accused of disaster assistance fraud by my former landlord?

My landlord is accusing me of causing the water damages to my rental home in order to file a fraudulent claim with FEMA for disaster assistance. This is far from the truth. My landlord is the one who is committing insurance fraud of which I have proof. I also have witnesses and pictures that... Read more »

William C. Head
William C. Head answered on Feb 13, 2017

You need the help of an attorney. Since you are on the coast, I suggest trying either Mr. Cris Schneider in Savannah at 912-385-0854, or Patrick Ferris in Douglas, GA, but who has an office in St. Simons. 912-384-1099.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Divorce, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Georgia on
Q: ex husband cancelled homeowners insurance without my consent, and cashed the refund check. I was awarded the home.

the house was quit claim deeded to me and we were divorced when he did this without notifying me, is he guilty of any type of theft as I now have to resign for my insurance and take the hit for the $477 refund he was given. both of our names were still on the mortgage which is why they were both... Read more »

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Jan 12, 2017

I don't think that this would be considered the theft. Most likely, if you were granted the home, you were also ordered to pay all the costs, thereof, which would have included the insurance. If your divorce did not address who would get a refund once the insurance was transferred into his... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Georgia on
Q: Hello. What is the 80% at fault policy and can I fight it?

A car hit me making an improper pass

in a subdivision. I was slowing down turning left as the other car proceeds to try and pass me on my left. The report claimed that my blinker wasn't on but it never claimed my parking brakes were on as the car was very close behind me. I... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 20, 2016

It's an argument. "I think the apple is worth 80 cents. I'll give you 60 cents." Now if you were hurt contact a member of the Georgia Trial Lawyers Assn--they give free conults. Basically, if you have collision run it through your company let them hassle with the other driver.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Tax Law for Georgia on
Q: My son was born June 2015, he was taken out of the home November 2015. Am I still eligible to claim him on my taxes?

He was taken out of the home by DCFS and we have yet to reunify. Whenever I attempt to do my taxes online, it says to state the child had been with me 12 months because he was born in 2015. Is this correct? The difference of the returns is over $3,000 and I don't want to do the incorrect... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 7, 2016

This is better addressed by an accountant.

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Insurance Defense and Car Accidents for Georgia on
Q: What will happen if I don't sign a power of attorney, and the insurance already paid the lender what he owe?


Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 30, 2016

A court would say a deal is a deal--they acted relying on your "yes" in paying your lender. They can come after you for the money if you don't want to sign it. Focus on the case against the drunk--I assume you have an attorney; discuss it with them.If you don't, contact a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI, Personal Injury, Insurance Bad Faith and Car Accidents for Georgia on
Q: Do I need a personal injury attorney?

Hi. I want to know if I have a case before I even try to hire a lawyer. My husband and I were injured in a wreck were we side swiped a semi-truck. The truck driver was drunk, high off pills, and hadn't slept in 24 hours. It was nighttime, the truck had jacknifed and was laying across the... Read more »

Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki answered on Aug 3, 2015

Hopefully, you and your husband are okay. You said you were injured, so you should definitely consult with an injury lawyer. Don't delay. Trucking accident cases can be more complicated than regular car accidents, and trucking companies often get lawyers and investigators working to protect... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith for Georgia on
Q: I was arrested for insurance fraud, due to geico providing incorrect information to the insurance commissioner office.

Who's responsible for my damages. The warrant was dismissed.

Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki answered on Jul 18, 2015

You can talk to a local injury lawyer about a potential claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.