Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Jeffrey Anton Collins
2 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Tax Law for Massachusetts on
Q: Our MA divorce court date was 11-30. Can we file taxes as single?

One lawyer says that due to the nisi period, we have to file married or married/separately. The other and my ex's tax guy says we file single. Which is correct?

Jeffrey Anton Collins
Jeffrey Anton Collins answered on Feb 2, 2020

If you were divorced as of December 31, you are and may file as "single". Unless, of course, you qualify for head of household status.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for New York on
Q: What does our church need have in line to legally rent to a for-profit daycare?

We (the church- 501c3) have been renting to a daycare for 30 years. It is a for-profit. The church has been renting for 1/2 market-value. There is no lease and they are paying via a "donation". It is my understanding that the IRS still considers that "rent". Is that accurate? I am also... Read more »

Jeffrey Anton Collins
Jeffrey Anton Collins answered on Sep 18, 2019

My experience with 501(c) exempt organizations is limited. But I can provide this:

The church should be concerned about what is called "Unrelated Business Income". The Internal Revenue Service defines the income generated from unrelated business activities as income from a trade or business...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Mississippi on
Q: My husband & my mother-n-law filed our taxes & signed my name without my consent or my knowledge of him claiming me.

My husband refused to give me any of the money. Is there anything I can do legally? He also claimed my 2 children who were in my sole custody.

Jeffrey Anton Collins
Jeffrey Anton Collins answered on Sep 17, 2019

It sounds like you suspect that your husband has acted fraudulently. This situation is much more common that you might think. Therefore, IRS has organized several methods for you to report the tax return filing, to report the inappropriate claim of dependents, and to clear your good name. You will... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law and Business Law for California on
Q: My husband and I have an s-corp in CA and we are the only officers in our s-corp.

Are our medical expenses considered business expense and can be deductible for the s-corp?

Jeffrey Anton Collins
Jeffrey Anton Collins answered on Sep 9, 2019

I agree with Attorney Blackburn that the premiums may be deducted. The expenses may be deductible as compensation to the recipient. However, this is not advised because they become subject to payroll taxes at both the company and individual level. This treatment may be more helpful when there are... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Maryland on
Q: I sold a home that I’ve occupied as my primary residence for the last four years. Do I have to pay taxes on the profit?

The home was sold in Maryland, the home was my primary residence and I occupied the home continuously from 2015-2019

Jeffrey Anton Collins
Jeffrey Anton Collins answered on Sep 9, 2019

I do agree with Attorney Blackburn.

When you file your return, please make certain that you supplement Form 1040, Schedule D and Form 8949, to include a statement that references 26 U.S.C. § 121 - U.S. Code - Exclusion of gain from sale of principal residence. Be certain that you read the...
Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.