Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Alabama Education Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Education Law for Alabama on
Q: It's a wood storage building licensed as a gun store business I cut into the back of it with a skill saw I never entered

Is it a 3rd degree burglary in Alabama I never entered or took anything I only damaged the building by cutting a square in the back of it I gave up and left when I couldn't get into it

Nelson Craig Johnson
Nelson Craig Johnson
answered on Aug 30, 2021

(a) A person commits the crime of burglary in the third degree if any of the following occur:

(1) He or she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a dwelling with the intent to commit a crime therein;

(2) He or she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in an occupied building...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Education Law and Family Law for Alabama on
Q: Is there a way to have child support payments adjusted for a 15 year old who’s mother will not put him in school?

My husband has paid child support for his son, who is 15 years old, for the last 14 years, as ordered. The mother no longer adheres to the visitation they set In court. The mother refuses to enroll the child in public, private, or homeschool. The child has also been living back and forth between... View More

Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones
answered on Jun 30, 2020

Hello. He has a right to take her back to court and enforce the orders in place for his visitation, school, etc. To answer your question about child support payment adjustment, no. The child is entitled to his parent's financial support until he is 19 years old, joins the military, or becomes... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for Alabama on
Q: My special needs sonis being singled out, punished, threatened, and bullied athis school no one will help can u help?

my son is diagnosed and receives ssi from the government for his condition. They havet him in a school with other children who have been kicked out of regular school for fighting and other things. My son has an iep and they put in a secial needs kid with bullies and when he stands up for himself he... View More

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Oct 18, 2018

I am sad to read about this matter.

I am struck that you would follows anyone's recommendation to physically punish your special needs child. Have you ever attended your child's IEP review?

Have you ever sought out the independent ombudsmen who assist in these situations?...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Child Custody for Alabama on
Q: Am I able to get paperwork from the school?

If my ex has primary legal and physical custody of our child, am I allowed to get proof where he is enrolled in school? Is the school allowed to give me that since I am his father? I do have visitation rights.

Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
answered on Jun 6, 2018

You should have full access to such records if you have joint legal custody. If you have no custodial right you can't.

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Education Law for Alabama on
Q: If divorce papers say child is to go to a certain school, what can be done if ex puts child in different school?

Child, supposedly, has not been enrolled in the other school yet. But my ex has said it is planned my child will go to school different from what divorce papers say.

Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
answered on Jun 2, 2018

If your spouse sends the child to a school in violation of the order, you can file a motion with the Court that will allow your spouse to explain to the judge why he or she is not in contempt of the Court's order.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law and Education Law for Alabama on
Q: In Alabama could I get in any trouble for my attendance when I’m 17 years old. Could it effect having to repeat.
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
answered on Dec 18, 2017

I assume you are asking if you can get in trouble for refusing to go to school? Yes, because you are 17 you could be the subject of a CHINS petition. Try your question again and give some details

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Civil Rights, Juvenile Law and Personal Injury for Alabama on
Q: Hello, is my private school allowed to print off my text messages without my permission?

Hello, is my private school allowed to print off my text messages without my permission? They never took my phone away but said they have a script of my message that they got from somewhere. I never gave them permission and I never signed anything throughout the year that allows them to do that. Is... View More

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Jul 23, 2016

Don't see how they could have done that. Now they may have gotten your "message" from another person--the other person is free to print off anything you email or text them, give it or forward it to whoever they wish. Did they say they have all of your texts to anyone? I doubt it.... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Education Law for Alabama on
Q: A contract for my child's school requires signature of both parents, but only my wife signed. Is the contract valid?

The contract says the full amount of tuition is still payable if we withdraw our children from the school during the year. Also, we know of multiple other families that have left the school without being required to fulfill their contract, even this year. Could they require us to fulfill our... View More

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Nov 13, 2015

If your wife is the only one who signed it, she is probably the only one liable.

Yes, they can require her to pay without requiring others to do so.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Alabama on
Q: What do I need to do to finish school in another state??

The age of majority in OK is 18 but it is 19 in AL!! I turn 19 in a few months!! What has to be done for me to for me to do to go to school!!

Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
answered on Jun 27, 2015

Please give a few facts. What are you trying to do? What school? College, high-school, what?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.