Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Collections legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Connecticut Collections Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law, Collections and Municipal Law for Connecticut on
Q: I just received a letter from a collection agency for a tax bill from 2009/2010, that I have never been notified of

I had an accountant that was in charge of things, who is now in federal prison and has cost me 22,000 over this time and now I’m looking at another 9,300. Can I do anything? I live in this town and am in there to pay ALL of my taxes a couple of times a year. Not once was I ever told about this

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
answered on Mar 21, 2024

OK, well, either you owe the tax bill because the accountant didn't pay it, or he paid it and the government is wrong. The one thing that is clear is that you cannot rely on "my accountant handled it" to avoid paying a valid tax bill. I think the best course of action is to retain an... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Connecticut on
Q: I am getting calls from a company that bought a 11 yr old car loan. trying to sue me for intent to fraud

I'm homeless and worried

Joseph B. LaRocco
Joseph B. LaRocco
answered on Nov 18, 2020

This loan is likely barred by the statute of limitations for fraud which is three years. Also the statute of limitations in Connecticut for debt collection is 6 years. HOWEVER, DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE TEH DEBT OR MAKE A PAYMENT ON THE DEBT, because that will start the statute of limitations all over... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Collections for Connecticut on
Q: I am Conservator for my adult son. Can I be held liable for any of my son's unpaid bills?
Joseph Maya
Joseph Maya pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Apr 19, 2020

A conservator is a person appointed by the Probate Court to oversee or handle the financial or personal affairs of an adult. Connecticut recognizes two types of conservators. A Conservator of the Person supervises or manages the conserved person’s personal affairs and ensures that the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Appeals / Appellate Law and Collections for Connecticut on
Q: I won my personal injury case now what?

Hi! I won $178 000 in personal injury case. But there is no insurance. My lawyer closed the case and told me to contact collection lawyer or private investigator. So, I am kind of lost here. My lawyer didn’t take any money for his work since there is no money behind this judgment as he said.... View More

Max Lavit Rosenberg
Max Lavit Rosenberg
answered on Jan 24, 2020

A collection attorney will likely work on contingency. That means they will only get paid if they collect and they will get a percentage of what they collect. My office regularly handles matters like this and would be happy to review the case. Please feel free to contact us to discuss this matter... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Social Security and Collections for Connecticut on
Q: If someone has a student loan debt, can they take if from the person's Social Security?
Christopher H. McCormick
Christopher H. McCormick
answered on Nov 10, 2018

Yes up to 15% of your social security benefit if it is a federal student loan. No if private student loan.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Connecticut on
Q: Credit Card default fudgement in 2011. Wages garnished 18 months ago. Stat of lim is 3 yrs. Want relief

Does 3 yr statue of limitation of cc collection apply? Can I stop garnishment and recover money if Improperly garnished ? I am a paying customer.

Christopher H. McCormick
Christopher H. McCormick
answered on Sep 26, 2018

Since they the creditor has a judgment against your reference to a statute of limitations defense is not applicable. Other than paying off debt in full only other way to stop garnishment is to file bankruptcy preferably Chapter 7. If you want to explore your bankruptcy options I recommend you... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Education Law, Collections and Consumer Law for Connecticut on
Q: I signed a student loan for my daughter and now she does not want to pay what is my recourse. What type of lawyer do I n

What type of lawyer do I need

Christopher H. McCormick
Christopher H. McCormick
answered on Jun 21, 2017

it depends on the type of student loan what type of relief may be available to you. Most bankruptcy attorneys are able to give you helpful advice how to approach this problem.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Collections and Consumer Law for Connecticut on
Q: A levy was put on my chase business acct. is there any way to remove it.I owe money to an advance lending company
Max Lavit Rosenberg
Max Lavit Rosenberg
answered on Jul 1, 2017

Filing bankruptcy will remove the bank execution. Please contact us if you would like to set up a consultation to explore your options 203.870.6700

1 Answer | Asked in Probate, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Collections for Connecticut on
Q: What happens when you find the original will after probate judge deems you execute it, but you are sole benefactr in wil

My mother died, I was deemed executrix of estate when no will as found. At that time, I discovered for 25+ years, she put me on property title as half owner since 1988. So, However, the will was ultimately found and I was deemed sole beneficiary of his property and assets. I filed the... View More

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
answered on Mar 18, 2017

You've scrambled pronouns around so it is hard to determine who you are talking about with 'his' property ... both you and your mother are female, right? If Probate is still open and property not yet distributed, it is simply a matter of having the new will 'admitted' for... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Collections and Consumer Law for Connecticut on
Q: They withdrawl all my money from my bank account amd it say it was natural execution? Dont really now what it means
Max Lavit Rosenberg
Max Lavit Rosenberg
answered on Aug 22, 2016

This means someone got a judgment against you, filed an execution upon your bank account and attempted to fufill the judgment. If you file an exemption within a limited amount of time (approximately 14 days), you may be able to get some of your money back. The execution should have been... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Connecticut on
Q: Can I collect a judgement in NY against the proceeds of rents paid to the judgement debtor from apartments he owns.

Won a default judgement pro se breach of contract and conversion. Judge dismissed order to vacate.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Oct 31, 2015

Yes, probably.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.