Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Illinois Family Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Illinois on
Q: What if your lawyer fails to tell you about appointed GAL?

Lawyer failed to tell me about the GAL I need to get a hold of so the lawyer thought I was avoiding him and tainted my GAL visit

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Tax Law for Illinois on
Q: My husband and I got married in Belize, do we need to do anything to get this marriage recognized in the US?

We got married last May (2022) in Belize. We followed all Belizean marriage laws to do so and have an official marriage certificate from Belize. We are both US citizens. We were both MN residents at the time of the marriage, but have since moved to IL. We know that the US recognizes the marriage... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Landlord - Tenant for Illinois on
Q: What can be done about having a family member removed from a home I inherited?

There is no lease. The home is inhabitable. The furnace isn't properly functioning or the stove, there is a rodent presence, excessive trash throughout the inside and outside of the home and black mold is present as well. He also has 2 dogs in the home he doesn’t take them out, so there is... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Illinois on
Q: What it likely to happen after reporting that my husband attacked me? No arrests were made.

After a heated argument with my husband we were pushing each other, he left a minor bruise on my arm. I called 911 next day he wasn’t home, I told them I want this on records in case we get divorced. I told them to NOT press charges or order a protection order, they told me we have to speak to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Banking and Divorce for Illinois on
Q: Can a subpoena be issued for my spouse's credit report? Divorce proceedings are underway.
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith PRO label
answered on Mar 2, 2023

Yes, a subpoena can be issued for your spouse's credit report during divorce proceedings. However, you will need to have a valid legal reason for requesting the credit report, such as proving financial misconduct or to determine the financial status of your spouse. You should consult with your... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Illinois on
Q: Can an Illinois family law judge hold me in contempt if I refuse mediation?

I already tried mediation with no success, but I have a new judge on my case.

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Illinois on
Q: I need to have a Power of Attorney document certified, how do I go about doing it?

The POA is a Durable Power of Attorney I have for my sister whose 87 and in a nursing home.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Illinois on
Q: Court is trying summons for paternity. Live in Caribbean. No address here. Kid in US. Send money monthly. Not going back

Court is trying summons for paternity. Live in Caribbean. No address here. Kid in US. Send money monthly. Not going back anytime soon. Haven’t returned called to process server yet (sheriff). Truthfully, I moved on with my life. Mother of child was toxic. Was costing me my mental health. So I... Read more »

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Feb 23, 2023

I recommend calling the process server and giving him your current whereabouts. If you don’t have a physical address, you should provide sufficient information as to where exactly you can be found in order to be served.

Why? Because if they don’t know where you are, you are going to...
Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Illinois on
Q: Can I get custody rights at all with an order of protection on the kids and the ex?

Never been violent. DCFS cleared me twice already with no violence or issues found.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Civil Litigation and Legal Malpractice for Illinois on
Q: During a plenary order of protection hearing my attorney failed to present the evidence and witnesses

My attorney obtained subpoenas for the sheriff’s and got a statement that supported my innocence. There was also video to support. However on the day of the hearing she went into another room with opposing counsel and came out telling me there was a warrant for me violating the order of... Read more »

Clyde Guilamo
Clyde Guilamo
answered on Feb 21, 2023

Hello. I'm sorry to hear that all of that happened to you. Unfortunately, you did not actually include a question to answer. Try re-writing the question.

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Illinois on
Q: what happens at a court date set for Notice of Motion for Petition for Modification of Maintenance and For Other Relief?

I received a Notice of Motion and Petition for Modification of Maintenance via email from my ex-husband's attorney that shows that it was electronically filed with the County Circuit Clerk but no actual documents through mail. It shows a court date in 7 days. Do I have to show up for court?... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Illinois on
Q: I'm not being given visit rights for my son. The mother of my child is in an abusive relationshipnot allowed to communic

I try to pay the majority of the bills in the house my boy live in n am only allowed to have contact with him when she needs or benefits from the situation

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Illinois on
Q: What needs to be in a letter from the other parent to consent to move their child out of state? No courts are involved

My brothers name is on birth certificate however never married to his sons mother. She gave him their child a year ago as she didn't have a job, on drugs and nowhere to stay after her mom died. My brother is now moving to Georgia since him and his girlfriend and mother of his other 2 kids(and... Read more »

David Wolkowitz
David Wolkowitz
answered on Feb 18, 2023

I am not sure what letter you are referring to. If a case was opened, a letter in regards to removal might be appropriate. However, your brother could open a court case or he risks the mom going to court in Illinois and convincing a judge that your brother wrongfully took their son from Illinois.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Illinois on
Q: Can I remove my kids, 10 & 14, out of my husband's home and bring with to rent a house? In Chicago

It's his house. Have post settlement agreement from 2013. It states joint custody which i realize is no longer a term. I'm thinking we will have to start from scratch. Need to know if I can remove them from the home before I sign the 2 year lease.

J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
answered on Jan 25, 2023

Your Judgment for Dissolution should state who the residential parent is. If it is you, then you are free to move with the children.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Immigration Law and Family Law for Illinois on
Q: American husband wants a divorce. What type of lawyer do I need as a foreign born spouse, permanent resident?
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
answered on Jan 25, 2023

A family law attorney that handles divorces. You may also wish to consult with an immigration attorney to determine the impact this divorce might have on your status, for example, if you are a conditional rather than permanent resident.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Illinois on
Q: If the father is not on the birth certificate, does he have any legal rights?

His name is not listed on the certificate and no paternity test was ever done.

James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
answered on Jan 3, 2023

The father's rights are essentially the same as the mother's right. To establish your rights you'll need to file a parentage action in the local county courthouse. The court can order a DNA test of you, the child, and the mother. If the DNA test proves you are the biological father,... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.