Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Public Benefits legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Illinois Public Benefits Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Public Benefits for Illinois on
Q: I’m having a baby in May & I'm wondering if I can collect unemployment while on maternity leave/medical leave.
Cynthia Pietrucha
Cynthia Pietrucha
answered on Jan 12, 2024

In Illinois, as in many states, unemployment benefits are typically available to individuals who are out of work through no fault of their own and who are ready, willing, and able to work. To collect unemployment benefits, claimants must also be actively seeking employment.

Maternity leave,...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Illinois on
Q: Would appealing without a lawyer for my QMB benefit be best option

I have had QMB for years and with same asset having same amount. That is not even counted by social security and they now count it as income. I get under $1000 from my SSI and SSDI. They also have the wrong information about my income

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Dec 8, 2023

Appealing for your Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB) benefits without a lawyer is an option, especially if you're familiar with the process and feel confident in handling it yourself. However, it's important to meticulously prepare your appeal, including gathering all necessary... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Animal / Dog Law and Public Benefits for Illinois on
Q: What do you do if a civil rights discrimination /public accomadation denial complaint is wrongfully dismissed?

Had video proof of being made to leave with service dog and more but was given a disadvantage by the state investagor of the claim, and was dismissed with strong bias for the acting party. They allowed them to submit altered video to give benifit yet would not tell me how. Did appeal yet fedex... View More

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Sep 28, 2023

You should appeal. In doing so, it is important you retain a competent attorney experienced in appealing this type of case. Appellate practice is very technical and many trial attorneys do not practice appellate law. Pro se appellants very rarely win because of the degree of knowledge, skill,... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Gov & Administrative Law and Public Benefits for Illinois on
Q: Can I be denied access to a public building and it’s services for not having an appointment? They close at 5 it was 1:30

The people at the door of the dmv told me I would have to come back with an appointment. I asked if It was alright if I could do a walk-in they said no because they wanted to get everyone out on time

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Aug 31, 2023

In Illinois, public buildings like the DMV often have their own procedures for managing visitor access and appointments, it's possible for public institutions to enforce policies that prioritize scheduled appointments to ensure efficient service.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits, Social Security and Estate Planning for Illinois on
Q: I want to try a credit union no penalty CD but not sure if my SSI would be cut if I tried that out

I'm trying to find alternatives to my current 529 savings account. I want something tax free, but where I can take out I'm emergencies. I don't want to lose my SSI.

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
answered on May 15, 2023

It is great that you are looking for alternatives for savings that will not affect your SSI payments. A primary consideration is whether the alternative would be a countable resource or not. A CD is usually countable except when the terms of a timed deposit will prohibit early withdrawal... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Public Benefits and Real Estate Law for Illinois on
Q: Does the State of Illinois have to purchase my daughters entire property?

The State has offered to purchase a portion of the property. This would include a majority of the septic field. She has nowhere to replace it. They did not have any compensation for this item listed on their offer. Would that make her property inhabitable and what are her options? Do they have to... View More

James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
answered on Jul 27, 2021

Your daughter needs to make an appointment with an experienced real estate lawyer to discuss this. Make sure she brings to the appointment a copy of the offer the state made.

Q: What type of legal document do I need to file to request that a court ORDER Unemployment Agency to take paper Applicatio

I am from Illinois and I recently tried to file for unemployment due to COVID-19 by mailing a paper copy of the official IDES unemployment form(which I downloaded and printed from a PDF file on their website).

I received a call days later that they would not accept paper applications and... View More

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
answered on Apr 12, 2020

In general, an agency has the ability to promulgate administrative rules. If their refusal to accept a paper application effectively denied your benefits, it might be possible. Under the current circumstances where the majority of the population is under a stay-at-home order, nearly all government... View More

3 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Workers' Compensation, Public Benefits and Small Claims for Illinois on
Q: Can I file for TTD benefits while I work w/ a laywer to file workmans comp if my employer wouldn't report my injuries?

After an incident at work over the holidays I saw my DR & found out I have bilateral carpal tunnel w/severe damage in my right wrist. She advised me not to return to work until after seeing an orthopedic specialist for possible surgery. I told her that I couldn't afford to & she agreed... View More

Steven Sigmond
Steven Sigmond
answered on Mar 4, 2020

Yes, you can.

As long as you've reported the work-injury to your boss right away (and you have), you have up to three years to file a workers compensation case. Your employer can't file the case for you. All they can do is turn the matter over to their insurance company or not....
View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits and Immigration Law for Illinois on
Q: U.S. Citizen receiving food stamp and medicaid. How does that affect AOS for her husband?

I am student here in the US. I will be getting married to my Girlfriend in a month. She is a US citizen and receives food stamp and medicaid. How does that affect my AOS based on new public charge rule. I have never taken any public benefits nor I am a beneficiary in any of public benefits.... View More

Drew Elesh
Drew Elesh
answered on Feb 29, 2020

Under the new public charge form you will have to disclose those public benefits . It is one of many factors .

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Public Benefits for Illinois on
Q: I hurt my back and received a settlement,my back issues came back, will my Medicaid insurance pay for my treatment?
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
answered on Apr 16, 2018

Medicaid will Absolutely pay for any needed care through a Medicaid provider. If you had been represented by a competent attorney, initially, You would have recovered much more money or kept the medical open for the rest of your life.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Public Benefits for Illinois on
Q: I'm I responsible for court fees for my teen who lives in another state with her grandmother who receive public benefits

Dcfs granted me permission to send her to her grandmother due to her being out of control

Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
answered on Dec 19, 2016

Does the grandmother have guardianship? If not, then you are still responsible as his parent.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Employment Law and Public Benefits for Illinois on
Q: How can I appeal this decision for denial of unemployment
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Aug 4, 2016

At the bottom of your denial it should say how many days you have to file an appeal, where you send it and other details.

There should be legal aid in your county that can give you basic advice.Ask them if there is a local unemployement project--they can also be a good source.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.