Ask a Question

Get free answers to your International Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Massachusetts International Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, International Law, Family Law and Child Custody for Massachusetts on
Q: Can an International Student get Emancipation in the United States?

I am a 16 year old from Pakistan in the US under a student visa. I study at MIT and currently live on campus in Boston, MA. Can I get Emancipated as my home country Pakistan doesn't have defined laws for emancipation? I have a full time job and I also Invest in Stocks and Shares. I also want... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jun 3, 2024

As a 16-year-old international student from Pakistan on a student visa, getting emancipated in the United States can be challenging. Emancipation laws vary by state, and in Massachusetts, where you are studying at MIT, minors can petition for emancipation under certain conditions. You must... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Immigration Law, Tax Law and International Law for Massachusetts on
Q: Can I invest/Trade cryptocurrency with my F1student visa(OPT)status in USA? Need to know legalities!

So I have finished my Masters recently and Started working on OPT. So I wanted to start investing/trading crypto and I still couldn't find proper solutions for my question. if I am allowed to do so, then how many trades/transactions can I do in a day/week. I looking for proper legal guidance... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Mar 16, 2024

As an F1 student visa holder currently on Optional Practical Training (OPT) in the USA, you are primarily in the country for educational purposes. However, engaging in investment activities, including trading or investing in cryptocurrencies, does not directly conflict with your visa status.... View More

1 Answer | Asked in International Law for Massachusetts on
Q: What happens if I forgot to declare over $10k cash at customs? Is there a chance to still do it without repercussions?

What would happen if someone forgot to declare the cash at US customs which goes to the university tuition of an international student? And if the money were already deposited to US bank and the payment was made? Is there a way to still declare it and not get in trouble?

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jan 19, 2024

If you failed to declare over $10,000 in cash or monetary instruments when entering the US through customs, it is best to consult with a legal professional about the options. Technically you should have completed a FinCEN 105 Report of International Transportation of Currency or Monetary... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and International Law for Massachusetts on
Q: Marriott hotel sublet the event hosting time slot paid my me to another party. Want to sue Marriott.

Marriott hotel in Kolkata, India was booked by us for a day to host my brother's marriage. Marriott sneaked in two more parties in our time slot before our events began and hence we could not decorate our event properly since other parties were still present. The time slot assigned to us was... View More

Christopher Tolley
Christopher Tolley
answered on Feb 7, 2022

Where did you sign the contract, in the US or in India? What does the contract say, (the terms and conditions may be online) do Indian or US laws apply? You can always write a demand letter to Marriott in the US. he worst they can do is say no.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Immigration Law, Business Law and International Law for Massachusetts on
Q: Would any one have any contact for pro bono lawyers in South Africa (Pretoria) for US citizens

One of my US citizen friends is currently in Pretoria and has urgent legal trouble. He has contacted the US consulate for weeks, which at this time is only overwhelmed and has provided no help. thank you

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jun 22, 2020

There is an organization - Pretoria Society of Advocates. They are known as the Pretoria Bar. They could be a starting point in your friend's search. If they do not know of such attorneys or resources on how to locate them, maybe they could direct your friend to a different bar association or... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Immigration Law and International Law for Massachusetts on
Q: I need a consultation on a few things.

I got married in India under Hindu Marriage Act. I am in USA right now on F1 visa and my husband is on H1B visa. Can I get a divorce in USA?

If yes, would it be valid in India as well?

What’s the process for a mutual divorce in USA for international people?

How much money... View More

Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
answered on May 3, 2017

In Massachusetts if you are residing here with your spouse and the breakdown of the marriage takes place here, then you can commence a Divorce Complaint or have a Joint Petition for divorce here. You do not need to be a citizen to obtain a divorce, but you will need your marriage certificate and it... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence, International Law and Internet Law for Massachusetts on
Q: I am threatened and blackmailed by someone in another country. Can US police do anything about it?

My boyfriend living in another country has been blackmailing me with revenge porn and has threatened my life several times. I have lots of proof of this in text messages. When we met he also abused me. I don't know if going to the police will help because I have heard they have no jurisdiction... View More

Brian Lehman
Brian Lehman
answered on Feb 8, 2017

The state has jurisdiction when its citizens are harmed or threatened. The more likely reason for this response is that they do not want to get involved because he is overseas and it takes a lot of effort to get him. Does he ever travel back to the states?

Here is a chart outlining the...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Massachusetts on
Q: I am a naturalized citizen of the U.S, I live here with my husband as a student. I want to fill the i30 form but I

I don't have my naturalization number. I was naturalized as a minor, do I need to obtain a replacement?

Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts
answered on Dec 30, 2015

Yes, you would need a number and you can contact an immigration attorney to help you with this process. It costs fairly less and it is very stress free for you to do it through an immigration attorney. All the best.

15 years of successful immigration law experience. The answer above is...
View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.