Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Consumer Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
North Dakota Consumer Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for North Dakota on
Q: Does Walmart need probable cause demand my receipt as I am walking out the door?

The only thing I could find in the century code was If you set off the electronic detection, that is probable cause. If I have been thru the checkout, paid for all my Items. the items and receipt are now my personal property. Any involuntary search without probable cause should not be legal,... View More

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
answered on Oct 5, 2021

No, probable cause is a standard for law enforcement rather than Walmart employees. Further, probable cause is the standard to make an arrest or obtain a warrant. In your scenario, neither is occurring. The phrase you might be looking for is "reasonable suspicion."

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury and Products Liability for North Dakota on
Q: I literally own these products and have been having hair loss and excessive shedding should I sue do I have a case

I have two shampoos as well as conditioners in my bathroom now I had no idea my hair shedding/ loss was because of these products which are the Johnson Johnson’s shampoos and conditioner I seen where someone is suing them because of the same reasons is this worth me even pursuing I don’t want... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jul 23, 2021

A North Dakota attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. At this point, one option is to reach out to firms dealing with the products you were using. Product liability cases tend to involve extensive research and discovery. A firm that has already looked into or... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Civil Rights and Small Claims for North Dakota on
Q: can a college make you retake a class over after you already taken it, paid for it and passed it? same college mind you
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Sep 12, 2019

You could check the school's course policy. Schools can impose their own specific conditions, such as attaining a certain grade in a course, etc. If you have an academic advisor, maybe they could help explain your rights. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Legal Malpractice, Small Claims and Bankruptcy for North Dakota on
Q: I received a letter in the mail today that threatened legal action for a debt.

I received a letter in the mail today that threatened legal action for a debt from over 5 years ago. The debt is from when I lived in Maryland. I have not lived there for the last 5 years. I've been living in North Dakota. The debt is for $9,000 and is the result of having been evicted when I... View More

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Feb 19, 2019

If the MD stature is 3 years, then the statute has expired and they cannot sue you.

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Criminal Law and Employment Law for North Dakota on
Q: Is a k9 sniff sufficient probable cause to search a stopped vehicle
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
answered on Mar 26, 2018

Do not post any additional information about your case online. You do not want to reveal enough information for the police to identify you. Instead, contact a criminal defense lawyer for help. Many attorneys like myself offer free consultations. The answer to your question depends on the particular... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation, Collections and Constitutional Law for North Dakota on
Q: On 02/15/2018 my paycheck was garnished in the amount of $430.

I was never notified by my employer nor the company that put a judgement against me. The company is located in Las Vegas, Nevada. I have been a resident of Minot, North Dakota for 3 years. On 02/23/2018 I went down to talk to Human resources and they told me that the garnishment has been... View More

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
answered on Mar 2, 2018

You hire a lawyer who deals with debt collection issues for consumers and see if they can get your money back.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for North Dakota on
Q: I was served a summons/complaint. It was NOT filed with the court. I answered and challenged the debt. What happens now?

I thought I read they had 5 days to show proof they had proving debt is mine? Also if they do file with the court will I be notified?

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
answered on Jan 20, 2018

Call an attorney who deals with this type of case. They do not have to file immediately.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Consumer Law for North Dakota on
Q: If I called in a tow, would it be illegal to have a deal where the tow company pays me a fee?

I live in an apartment where it is permissible to tow someone's car if they park in your spot, would it be illegal to take have an agreement that the company that tows the car give my a flat fee for the tow? At least 2-3 cars a day park in my spot, I believe if I received $20 a car, I could... View More

Nicholas Nelson
Nicholas Nelson
answered on Feb 26, 2018

Generally, "referral fees" are regulated in professional careers like law. When establishing a referral fee agreement, you are essentially acting as an agent/employee of the principal company (tow company in your situation). Any referral agreement should be in writing to protect your... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Internet Law, Consumer Law and Landlord - Tenant for North Dakota on


Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
answered on Nov 5, 2017

I'd let this one go. If I advertise bananas are $1 and you come to my store and they are $1.50, I was not necessarily obligated to continue to offer the advertised price.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability and Contracts for North Dakota on
Q: I sold a vehicle "as is"

I sold a vehicle "as is" and the title wasn't switched over. Now the buyer doesn't want it and wants to return it. Where do I stand as it being sold "as is".

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Aug 11, 2016

Assuming that he's not complaining of something you knew about but didn't tell him about --e.g. you knew it needed a new tranny but didn't tell him--then you should be OK. "As Is " protects seller from buyers remorse. It isn't a free pass to sit on

information you knew abouit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.