Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Ohio Civil Litigation Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Child Custody and Civil Litigation for Ohio on
Q: I am being harassed over text. Should I take action?

My coparent and his wife continuously harrass me over text. They attack me, my character and parenting style. No threats of harm have been made. I do not respond to these messages yet they continue to send them. I don't block their number because my son lives in their household during... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Ohio on
Q: If someone tried to file a restraining order against me and it was denied, does it go on my record?

I had many issues with my neighbor in the past and have multiple emails with my apartment complex stating that. I called the police multiple times for noise complaints and they never did anything, recently she kicked my door multiple times and had a guy friend with her, i felt threatened so when I... Read more »

Patrick DiChiro
Patrick DiChiro
answered on Mar 22, 2023




0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: Ronnie Williams vs rta supreme Court do I have a case/lawsuit

Court case is public records

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Consumer Law and Federal Crimes for Ohio on
Q: I live in Ohio, I was hired with the understanding I had the card. Hr found out and terminated due to drug policy.

They are a BWC drug free workplace but I was 10-99 and not even an employee. I never took a pre or post drug test. Is this legal?

Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
answered on Mar 16, 2023

Yes. Even if you were an employee, Ohio allows for termination of employees who use medical marijuana.

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Ohio on
Q: A neighbor of mine called a local McDonalds that I have psychiatric problems, the employee's there are taunting me now.

I have an audio recording of this happening at the McDonalds where the employee's are taunting me and the managers are trying to get the employee's to stop doing it.

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: My ex assaulted me and my son and was charged with 4 criminal charges - he went to get a CPO on me first and lied.

after DV and assault against my son & I (guilty) with a criminal warrant placed on him for the 4 criminal charges by the state, he ran to the courthouse immediately to place a CPO against me, trying to look like the good guy although this is typical deflection behavior of a manipulative abuser.... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Employment Law and Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: Workplace religious freedom

We dont have a prayer space inside our building most people pray in their car now the company has banned us from going to our car. Do we have legal standing to fight back on this under title VII

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Military Law for Ohio on
Q: Are National Guard members allowed to Sue a Private Company liable for exposure to Toxins/Hazards during a Response?

State National Guard member's unit activated to respond to emergency disaster involving toxic chemicals and hazardous materials. Guardsmen was directly exposed to hazards for multiple days. Residents have filed lawsuits and class action lawsuits already. Is this member allowed to personally... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Family Law, Civil Rights and Federal Crimes for Ohio on
Q: I am 16 and from ohio, my friends sometimes buy me stuff is my step mom allowed to open my mail if its not hers?
Troy J Doucet
Troy J Doucet
answered on Feb 6, 2023

Yes. Whether or not she has any custodial rights over you, your father can certainly open your mail. He can then delegate that right to your step mom, so she can also open it without permission.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Education Law and Elder Law for Ohio on
Q: ORC 4117.103 -volunteer at public schools When can a qualified volunteer be turned back by principal?

be turned away directly from the principle?

Arriving at my granddaughter’s elementary school for an approved PTO volunteering event at the requested time, Right away I was met with resistance. She began using her phone. She inquired to several ladies standing close by a loc of someone.... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Jan 20, 2023

The law does not require the schools to allow any particular person to volunteer and there are literally hundreds of reasons from the mundane (we have enough help) to the quite serious (this individual set fire to the building last time they were here) that someone might be turned away.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Ohio on
Q: My question is, can they do that? Agree to $85 being the amount repaid, and then demand an additional $200 or be sued.

I was working for a pet store/supply company, and stole $85 worth of merchandise due to financial issues I’ve been having. I apologized, admitted to my wrong actions, and even agreed to pay back the $85 which is the amount a cooperate representative of the company agreed was the correct amount... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Nov 29, 2022

First, yes, they can sue you. There is a statute that allows merchants to sue for statutory damages of $200 from thieves to help defray the costs of loss prevention. But they probably won't. They simply cannot win enough money to make it worth the time. In many courts it costs more than $200... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Collections and Small Claims for Ohio on
Q: I'm being sued by a creditor I filed an answer with the court myself now I have a pretrial date coming very soon.

I can't afford an attorney and my legal aid consultation appointment is after the pretrial, that's the only date they had available. What defense can I use to stop them from garnishing my paycheck? I feel as though this company lied to the court in their filing they claim that they have a... Read more »

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
answered on Nov 23, 2022

Nobody can help you without reading the pleadings and examining the file. Maybe you can buy 30 minutes of an attorney's time before the pre-trial.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Civil Litigation, Collections and Foreclosure for Ohio on
Q: My mother-in-law was served papers recently. In them she is marked as a judgment creditor. What does this mean?

The case seems to be a default on a property owned by someone possibly attach to her we are unsure on what the complaint in the case is but they have her marked as a judgment creditor in the concerned parties information.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Dec 12, 2022

An Ohio attorney could advise best, but it looks like your question was overlooked under the general Uncategorized heading. You could try reposting under Collections, Foreclosure, Bankruptcy, and Civil Litigation. This looks like something for attorneys who practice in one of those areas. Good luck

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: My daughters name was found to be on a students hit list.

Her name was on a students hit list. The school has a zero tolerance policy and only suspended the student for 10 days with a potential expulsion based on a closed door expulsion hearing that we are not allowed to go to. What would be our best avenue for how to handle this legally potentially... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Nov 17, 2022

Talk to your local county prosecutors office, which might want investigate and will decide whether to pursue a criminal action. Then use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney who handles civil litigation cases.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Contracts and Real Estate Law for Ohio on
Q: Is it against the law to force someone to sign the deed to their home over to them?

I applied for mortgage assistance in which I could skip some payments and have them rolled to the end of my mortgage. I was approved and skipped about 11 payments. The lender needed my wife and I to sign papers to make it official. My inlaws told my wife to not sign those papers. Despite my... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Sep 13, 2022

The in-laws aren't forcing you to sign, they are offering a choice - you can either sign (and then rent from them or move elsewhere), or allow the foreclosure to proceed and you would be evicted by the new owner or you could try to rent from the new owner. Or the in-laws could purchase it at... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Ohio on
Q: I am looking for a lawyer who will prosecute up to 3 union county deputies.

I apologize if this goes to Akron its fighting me to send this to Marysville.

Roger  Bouchard
Roger Bouchard
answered on Jul 24, 2022

Call the UnionCounty prosecutors office.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Ohio on
Q: My girlfriend of 10yrs kicked me out of the house she got swhile we were together. What do i do about getting my things

I have attempted to sit down with her and a mediator , her daughter who doesn't care for me too much, and discuss who gets what but she starts yelling acting like a child. AnywYs mist of the stuff in the house , I have bought but I'm not trying to empty her house . I don't have room... Read more »

Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish
answered on Jun 30, 2022

Parties can file for a right of replevin at the municipal court in the county where the property is located under Ohio Revised Code Chapter 2737 re Replevin. Any party to an action involving a claim for the recovery of specific personal property, upon or at any time after commencement of the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Ohio on
Q: two cases that are related to one another and one was dismissed and currently being appealed, what happens to the other
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Jun 9, 2022

You really don’t give enough information here to answer your question. It’s quite possible nothing happens to the other case. In what way are they related?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Ohio on
Q: Is my husband allowed to sell a car that’s in his name but I helped pay for from under me
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Jun 3, 2022

If his name was the only one on the vehicle title, then his signature alone was sufficient to legally sell the vehicle. It does not matter whose money paid for it. The signature of a spouse is not required if that spouse's name is not also listed on the title. Dividing up the money from the... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.