Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Ohio Criminal Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Ohio on
Q: My son is in halfway house after serving most of his sentence in Ohio. Can he fulfill his probation in PA near family?

We have a job and a trade school waiting for him in PA. He would have family support as well. Ohio is notorious for not giving a darn about real growth into society after screwups.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Ohio on
Q: I have a dv felony 4 charge. I read that they have 270 days to bring me to trial. It's been almost 2 years. Can they do
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jan 24, 2022

The speedy trial clock is like the clock at a basketball game. 270 days, 90 if you are incarcerated awaiting trial. Seems speedy. But it pauses for every defense request and was paused in many cases for COVID-19 and pauses for this and pauses for that. A lawyer needs to sit down and go through your... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation and Criminal Law for Ohio on
Q: can a probation officer tell you were to to for anger management even if her choices cost much more than others

My probation officer recommended anger management but only gave me a list of 6 places I can go even though there are dozens available in my area. Her choices cost 10X as much as others, I have to pay $1000 but others I'm not allowed to go offer it for much less if not for free, isn't that... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Ohio on
Q: Can a 911 call be used as evidence if the caller doesn’t show

It’s is a domestic violence case and the witness is not going to be there. The alleged victim will not be there and has no intention of showing up

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Ohio on
Q: What is a bill of particular
0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Ohio on
Q: What is OW bail?

I have a friend in custody. Today they updated his bail from "Cash Bond Only $25,000" to "Cash Bond Only $20,000". Now it shows "OW" under type with a bail amount of $0. I cannot find anything about OW only OR.

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Ohio on
Q: Will my friend still have to wear a GPS in Ohio?

I have a friend currently incarcerated in North Carolina for being a sex offender. He has 21 months left of 12 years. In N.C they want him to wear a GPS tracker when he gets out. He wants to know if he transfers to Ohio before being released from prison, will he still have to wear the GPS here in... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Ohio on
Q: if u have mandory and non mandatory time. can u swith them? do man first? is there appeal i need to make or can i get

a sentence reduction.

in for drug trafficking

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Ohio on
Q: My husband is in jail for dv he got arrested was out on bond and got arrested again I need advice on how to make this

Better I never intended for any of this we've been married for a long time and he takes care of our family I need to get him out of jail out of trouble and back to work

Anthony C. Satariano
Anthony C. Satariano answered on Jan 18, 2022

In Ohio, whether or not the State proceeds with DV charges is up to the prosecutor. It is not up to the victim. Your husband should consult with a criminal defense attorney.

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Ohio on
Q: If I accepted a plea deal but haven’t been sentenced yet can I refuse it before sentencing in Ohio..

I have never even had a ticket I’m 51 my attorney scared me and told me I could 16 years for a felony 1 . I never got to see my discovery and just found out there’s absolute proof the victim lied which I been saying all along .They plead me down to a felony 5 .

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Ohio on
Q: Who do I talk to for a domestic violence that occurred against my boyfriend and I was in a psychotic state and he didn't

What what should I do if a domestic violence happened to my boyfriend and I and the cops were called and I was drinking and I have a lot of psychological issues and I went along with what the cop said but I know he never hit me or yelled at me I was coached through another third party and I... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Ohio on
Q: I turned down my plea deal. If key evidence is suppressed, do prosecutors lower the charges?

Is there ever a point before a trial where motions can no longer be heard to suppress evidence?

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jan 11, 2022

Depending upon how important the evidence suppressed is, a successful suppression motion can cause the government to dismiss a case entirely or offer a better deal. Most courts are quite liberal about when they will hear suppression motions all the way up until the date of trial. Suppression motion... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Banking for Ohio on
Q: I cashed a fake check I didn't know it looked like a payroll check and it was made out to my bf and I signed it took it

To my bank and they cashed it. I thought of it wasn't real or whatever they would know before they cashed it

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jan 11, 2022

If you have been charged with a crime (which is unclear from your post) you should hire an attorney. If you are wondering if you could be charged with a crime, the answer is yes.

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Ohio on
Q: How long can you get for having a capias for not reporting too probation but on felony probation for a burglary

The whole charge is 3 and 1/2 years he did 1 year already he's on probation but he failed too report and they sent a capias out I'm just wondering how much time he will get ?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Ohio on
Q: I hired a lawyer to fight criminal charges. Is it now too late to see if I qualify for a public defender to go to trial?

The final pretrial hearing is coming up and I expected to be able to clear my name of these charges with exculpatory evidence, however the prosecutor did not mark any evidence as exculpatory even though it should have been. I am concerned that my only two options will be to accept a plea deal for... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jan 3, 2022

You can request the court assign you counsel, but as you have already retained counsel, the court may well find that you do not qualify. If there is specific exculpatory material you believe exists, but has not been turned over, you should discuss this with your attorney to press for more discovery.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.