Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oklahoma Family Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: hi there, is it legal for a munincipality to bill our rv park sewer charges for 12 occupancies at $144.00 per month when

we have no customers and 0 gallons water used/carried away as sewage

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Oklahoma on
Q: If a female who is under 16 gets pregnant who is responciable for her medical care? Her mother or her boyfriends parent?

The teens have been in a relationship since Jan 2020. Teen girl left home because mother is abusive. Stayed with boyfriends family for 20 months her mother didnt come for her not 1 time. She refused to help her with birth certificate, social security card ,etc. The boys parents tried to get the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Tax Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Does a divorce decree guarantee me the right to claim my child tax exemption AND all the tax credits that come with it?

split 50/50 custody. the decree says I get childA for tax purposes. last year ex had child a total of 3 more overnights than I did. ex states that the IRS says that I get to claim the basic deduction but they get the Head of Household Credit and the Child and Dependent care credit as it can only be... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Will I get charged fir going through cousin phone without them there?

Cousin left her cell phone at my house overnight. I went through it and there was illegal stuff on it. I want to turn her In but will I get charged For going through her phone even thought she left it there

0 Answers | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: My kids have been sent out of state without consent & are in ok Dhs custody help

We still have our parental rights

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: The spouse in separation yes decided the family home was too costco purchased and go at her leisure from responsibility

This is the story. A family hom One day the papers ask for a sell the house, split the profits four ways, her me both kids. both kids. I'm enrolled both in homeschool. She has made a change of address notification 110 days ago similar as well. She's Preventing estate half of all... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: What about repeated text communications?

from paternal cousin who is going thru an alleged agreed mediated divorce with my maternal second cousin [aka “daughter”] - anything you can do about his narcissistic behavior besides ignore it? Yep. Wrap your head around that one. Lol

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 13, 2022

you would want to consult an Oklahoma attorney, but my read would be 1) this is one divorcing person with another--let their attorneys handle it; if they have decided not to use attorneys, be aware that the person texted is getting free information, ammunition possibly. Why stop the flow. (In... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Probate for Oklahoma on
Q: I want to contest my inheritance from dad who died in June 2021 and we've been through probate and brother changed will

Can I recover what dad left me? Also he took my trust fund left to me in 1969 by my grandpa. Can I get it back too? My folks were the executors of my trust and y bro took it away.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: My husband got a job at Waffle House and started having an affair with the general manager now he lives with her she ha assaulted me and sends me vulgar messages about what her in my husband do Waffle House has a no fraternizing policy I have contacted Waffle House and informed them of this and I've done nothing is there anything I can do?

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Jan 11, 2022

You cannot force Waffle House to do anything. You, however can file a police report for the assault and harassment against her. Additionally you can file for separation/divorce against your husband if you are not able to reconcile. Good luck to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I have a 16 year old granddaughter in Tampa Florida. She has called me this evening after a fight with her mother.

Her mother told her to pack her bags and get out and she never wants to see her again. I live in Oklahoma. Am I able to go get this child without legal repercussions?

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Jan 4, 2022

Yes and no - or better yet - it depends. Since the child is a resident of Florida you will need to talk to a licensed attorney in Florida to establish a guardianship and then you would be able to bring the child here. But without that in place I would be cautious.

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Oklahoma on
Q: I want to move out at 17. Can I legally do so. I live in Oklahoma and I’m moving to texas. I have a place to stay

And I job to work there. Can they force me to return home and will the police look for me? Should I tell them I’m leaving or just leave

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I have been notified that my father passed. I have been told his adopted child has control. What do I need to do

Need to know what steps I need to take to assure I can obtain all necessary information.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Probate for Oklahoma on
Q: Next of Kin laws/probate

My aunt was adopted by my biological grandfather before I was even born. We never believed less than blood relation. In her passing, she has family disputing my relationship; "step" is what they're saying. She may have had a will, but that family has taken several documents from her... Read more »

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Dec 30, 2021

You need to contact an estate/probate attorney as soon as feasible. It may have already been placed into probate or it may not have been. It just depends how aggressive they are and if they have an aggressive attorney. You need someone that can put some time in this since you are out of state. It... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: How do I file emergency injunction against ex who has primary custody to prevent him enrolling child in military school?

My ex husband is neglectful and abusive to our daughter and he's alienated me from my daughter for years. I had no money to get an attorney to enforce the order. Now I an trying to either enter pro se or possibly get an OAR attorney which is done on the sliding scale. I have reported to dHs... Read more »

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Dec 22, 2021

While I can respect your position you need to contact an attorney to assist you with this because this is not something you want to try to do alone. If money is an issue then you may want to contact free legal aid and see if they can help first, but they have a busy workload. Short of that just... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Family Law and Elder Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Re: guardianship of my mom. My siblings were adopted out of the family. Do I need to serve official notice to my them?

I am the only one of my mom's children who wasn't legally adopted. I'm wondering if I should go through the process of paying a sheriff/process server to deliver the notice of guardianship petition.

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Dec 9, 2021

Since an adopted child still receives a childs portion of the estate of biological parents, I would send them notice in this matter as well. However, you can send it via certified mail and this is cost less than the sheriff/process server.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Personal Injury for Oklahoma on
Q: I need to speak with an attorney regarding a Second Degree Burglary charge I am currently facing.

I was pretty much bullied into opening the car door for my abusive boyfriend (now ex boyfriend) so he could load 2 weed eaters he had just stolen from a storage unit, into the back seat of his car. I opened the back door like I was told to, and Got directly back into the vehicle. I am being charged... Read more »

Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan answered on Dec 5, 2021

If you know about a crime, you go with them to the crime scene, you stay with them and you leave with them knowing what has occurred, you will almost always be charged as a codefendant. If you could show some coercion was applied to you, threats of some sort if you did not comply, and that you did... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Communications Law and Probate for Oklahoma on
Q: Yes my husband's aunt died in New Mexico and her partner not married has will. Does he have the right to ask for a copy

He is the next living relative and had to send information and initials to funeral home because funeral home wouldn't let partner do it even with will stating so.

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Nov 15, 2021

In Oklahoma he would not be required to provide a copy of the will but since she died (I am assuming she lived there) in New Mexico you should post in the New Mexico group.

In Oklahoma, if your husband was an heir pursuant to the will he would be given written notice when the will was...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: My spouse and I still currently live together and he filed a petition for dissolution of marriage without a summons

With notice. Can I file my own petition as the petitioner since I haven’t been served or signed a wavier?

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Nov 13, 2021

Just because you haven’t been served does not invalidate the petition. However, since you have not been served properly your time does not start for your response. You should contact an attorney to help you file a response with counter-petition and thus indirectly you are filing your own... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.