Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Texas Tax Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Texas on
Q: Does a stat dfa dept have to audit most recent 3 yrs and prove a 25% deficit in one year to be able to go back further

What if a notification of proposed assessment or notification of final is never sent in state income audit

0 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Texas on
Q: I work remotely for a business in California completely from my home. I get CA tax every paycheck. Can I get this back?

I work for a company based in california and I live in Texas. I never travel to California for the work, I do it completely from my house in Texas. However, I get taxes taken out from California on every single one of my paychecks - about $300. Can I get this tax money back? Am i even allowed to be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Texas on
Q: Can my taxes be garnished for a vehicle repossession?

Apparently back in 2018 the IRS tried to contact me about taxes that I had owed which I have never owed taxes before. Well this year they had garnished some of my income tax which they said it was for a repossession of a vehicle back in 2018 which I didn't have a vehicle repoed then. The last... Read more »

Leihernst Lamarre
Leihernst Lamarre answered on Oct 26, 2021

The IRS may have kept a portion or all of your refund due to a balance due stemming from a 1099-C Cancellation of Debt Issue to both of you. You may have gone through an audit when the IRS reached out To you regarding a potential tax debt From the audit. You potentially have a few options to... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Texas on
Q: What is the last day a person pay the judgment of a tax lien suit before the sale ?

If the judgment was for multiple properties, can the property owner pay the taxes and costs for just one property or do they have to pay the past due taxes on all the properties?


0 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Texas on
Q: What rights does my mother have? My mom purchased property in 2001.The owner sold it with delinquent taxes owed.

The owner is now deceased and the property taxes are aorund $8,000 to $9,000 dollars. My mother has a receipt that states paid in full $3000, the property address and the deceased party's name. The deceased party children stated that it would not be an issue signing over said property but, now... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Employment Law, Tax Law and Civil Litigation for Texas on
Q: The employer said, they were going to issue W-2c but after receiving payment from insurance they refused to issue W-2c.

The employer said that they were going to issue the W-2c for year 2020 for the work done in 2020. But after getting the payment from insurance they are refusing to issue the W-2c. they are saying that they would just issue a W-2 for the year 2021. Could someone please tell us what could be done... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Tax Law and Agricultural Law for Texas on
Q: My mother just passed and she was 1/4 owner of 640 acres give or take. I was informed today that the other current

Parties want to sell. Since my brother and I inherited my mothers party what should we be asking

Isaac Shutt
Isaac Shutt answered on Sep 23, 2021

You should definitely meet with a probate lawyer. You will want some sort of official legal documentation to show that you now hold title to your mother's portion of the property. Plus, you want an attorney to make sure you're getting your fair share. Contact a probate attorney to see... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Contracts and Tax Law for Texas on
Q: Can employer go back on commitment in writing on issuing W-2c ?

An individual worked respite hours taking care of elderly in 2020 but insurance company did not pay for hours worked. in 2021, insurance company agreed to pay for hours worked in 2020. By this time, individual was enrolled in school full time and had a financial aid package and grants in place.... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Sep 22, 2021

You should contact a local employment law or tax law attorney to help you. This BB is not for providing specific legal information for you to deal with a particular claim. Search for a local attorney on this issue here on Justia.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Tax Law for Texas on
Q: What type of lawyer handles house assets after Mother dies amongst siblings

My Mother died her home was owned by her & 1 sibling. Does my Mother part that she holds into the home goes to her living children?

She does not have a living will

Isaac Shutt
Isaac Shutt answered on Sep 21, 2021

Yes. If she has no spouse and no will, then everything goes to her descendants. That would include her living children and also the children of any deceased child.

3 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Texas on
Q: Am I an owner of real property according to IRS Instructions for Form 1120-H (2020)?

To my knowledge corporation referred to herein files 1120-H first time since its incorporation in 1981. It states it is a residential real estate association and claims exempt function income representing it came from me and others as "owners of real property".

I think I may be... Read more »

John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. answered on Aug 12, 2021


The form you mentioned, 1120-H is only for a HOA "Home Owners Association" to use for filing. It allows them to claim some exemptions.

I'm not sure why you think that for has any bearing on your status as a homeowner. To be sure, in some trailer parks the HOA...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Texas on
Q: If a homeowner passes & the heir does not claim the home or pay taxes can a neighbor acquire through adverse possession

The previous homeowner passed 4 years ago and the home has remained empty. The next of kin have shown no interest in the property. Can a neighbor care for the property (agricultural and house) and become the owner using an adverse possession claim?

Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter answered on Aug 12, 2021

Yes, if you hold it exclusively for long enough. The minimum period in this situation would be 10 years.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Collections for Texas on
Q: We made 12 calls to the IRS for pymt arrangement and made payments towards tax bills but they still filed a tax lien.

Every time we called for a payment arrangement they said wait 30 days and call us back because they had not processed our returns. In the mean time we paid $350/month towards $29,000 from 2017 audit and 2018 and 2019 taxes. We got a payment arrangement and after that they filed a tax lien. Is... Read more »

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell answered on Aug 1, 2021

The IRS can file a tax lien if your debt is over a certain amount and/or if you are not having the payments direct debited from your account.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Texas on
Q: Are there tax implications when transferring a rent house to an LLC when the LLC has already been operating it?

• My wife and I own a rent house. We also own an LLC.

• We want to transfer ownership of the house to our LLC and want to understand the tax implications.

• The rent house has had an operating loss, and it currently carries a loss carryover to be applied against future... Read more »

Kacie Marie Czapla
Kacie Marie Czapla answered on Jul 11, 2021

I am not just passing the buck, but you really need to hire a tax professional with this transaction.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Texas on
Q: We are paying back taxes owed, but it is way more than we owed because of interest & fines. Can anything be done?

The taxes owed are due to claiming more dependents after kids left home and it was not caught until we reviewed w2 form.

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell answered on Jul 8, 2021

If you are paying federal taxes then you can request a one-time penalty abatement. This will abate penalties (not interest) for the first year a taxpayer owes taxes. As the name suggests this is a one-time option. Wait until you have paid the base tax due and then call the IRS and request the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, International Law and Tax Law for Texas on
Q: Should I get a tax refund as an international student?

I started working this year and filed my taxes for last year. I got a tax refund but I was not employed anywhere last year. I am a F-1 student, will this refund affect my chances of getting green card?

Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury answered on Apr 22, 2021

You should consult with a Certified Public Accountant to understand why you got a refund. As long as your taxes were properly completed, the mere fact that you got a refund will not affect your eligibility for permanent residency/green card. You should consult with an immigration attorney though... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Texas on
Q: Tax evasion or tax avoidance?

I have paid to have a nonprofit created for me from a trusted source. If it was formed incorrectly and I get audited for not paying the correct amount of taxes... Would this be considered tax evasion(jail time?) or just tax avoidance (legal, so just an extra fine)

Daniel W. Layton
Daniel W. Layton answered on Mar 31, 2021

It isn't possible to answer your question based on the limited information provided and, because of the sensitive nature, I would recommend having a confidential consultation with an attorney subject to attorney-client privilege. When something is done wrong on your tax return, it not lawful... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Tax Law for Texas on
Q: Filled 2019 jointly w/ ex +claimed her child as dependent, divorced in 2020 Do I have to give her the stimulus check?

What happens if I don't give her the 3rd stimulus check?

Amir Tavakkoli
Amir Tavakkoli answered on Apr 5, 2021

If the check is in her name and you don’t give it to her, you can face criminal charges and civil penalties. Unless your divorce decree awarded you her check, which it doesn’t sound like.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.