Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arizona Civil Litigation Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Education Law for Arizona on
Q: I have no collection accounts on any of my credit reports but I'm considering filing for bankruptcy, is it right for me?

In just one year of attending I have a $33,249.70 Student Account balance past due at Arizona State University. This is the amount owed to ASU after all Financial Aid payments ($23,000 of student loans) were applied and is growing with a $100 per month late fee. I am going to SCC for this spring... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jan 25, 2019

You need to consult a local bankruptcy attorney. Many student accounts are federally insured and your debt may be non-dischargeable as most student loans are. You need a lawyer to delve into this deeper and determine whether your debt is dischargeable!

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Arizona on
Q: Are creditors suppose to send you proof after paying off a garnishment?

I had defaulted on a judgement that resulted in a wage garnishment. I mailed in my last payment amount in December of 2018 with a letter requesting that they went to court to satisfy the judgment. My question is does the creditor have to send me something in the mail stating that the judgement is... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Jan 7, 2019

When a judgment is paid in full, the judgment creditor is required to file a satisfaction of judgment with the court. Usually a copy is sent to the judgment debtor. Completion of a garnishment should result in the judgment being paid in full but there is no guarantee that this is so. I would... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Arizona on
Q: can ARS 44-1376.03 be used in small claims court

Purchased new garage doors 4 yrs ago. Never told verbally or in writing that the finish would deteriorate within 2 to 3 years. High end Overhead Carriage Garage Doors. On their new brand garage doors with same finish warranty states finish guaranteed for 2 years, we did not receive that information... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Jan 7, 2019

Arizona Statutes can be used in any Arizona court.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Arizona on
Q: What's the chances the court case they're attempting to bring in the state of arizona will be thrown out

What's the chances the court case they're attempting to bring in the state of arizona will be thrown out because the contract states the lawsuit needs to happen in michigan.

BackGround Information:

This is for the sale of an online business, we used a business broker... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Dec 20, 2018

A choice of jurisdiction clause in a contract can be enforceable, so there is a good chance that the lawsuit may need to be transferred to the agreed upon jurisdiction. However, this will not happen automatically. Your attorney will need to raise the issue properly so your Judge can decide it.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Arizona on
Q: An ex attorney as a resident agent was served a summons on a llc that i had i have not been served. Do I need to respond

My ex attorney received the summons. I have not been served personally. he sent the summons to me in an email. Do I need to respond to this summons?

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Dec 15, 2018

I recommend that you consult with new counsel immediately. In most cases you will want to respond to the summons to protect yourself--even if service may be questionable. I would definitely respond unless your new lawyer advises that a response is not needed.

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for Arizona on
Q: I was an injured passenger in an accident where the other driver was drunk. Our lawyer says we must join our case. Why?

The drunk driver was at fault. My 5 yr. old and I were both injured. I was told the policy was for only 30 thou and we were only going to be compensated "a few grand".

David Alan Wolf
David Alan Wolf answered on Dec 7, 2018

The situation as you outlined may be the outcome. From a practical standpoint, the recovery on a case is typically limited to the insurance proceeds. You should sit down with your attorney to discuss your legal rights as well as the best practical approach to proceed forward with the case. You... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Contracts for Arizona on
Q: when you enter a offer or contract is there regulations or policies that has to be follow to make a contract legal
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 23, 2018

Yes. Depending on the nature of the contract and the jurisdiction, there could be conditions that apply beyond the basic contract elements of offer, acceptance, consideration, etc.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Arizona on
Q: If I bailed out yesterday for a misdemeanor and was supposed to go within 10 business days

I go tommorw and it's a fauiler to appear and driving under suspended license

Zachary Divelbiss
Zachary Divelbiss answered on Sep 14, 2018

I would like to help you out but it seems your question was cut off. Please contact us directly so we can discuss this more (free). or 480-935-6545

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Real Estate Law, Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Arizona on
Q: Can my sister that I'm living with throw me out on a whim and not give me access to my property?

I have established residency for 3 years.

I have done work to earn my keep. If this is not a landlord tenant issue then how can I legally get my property out of her house?

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Sep 7, 2018

From the information you provided, your rights are governed by the Arizona Residential Landlord Tenant code. Your sister can evict you by giving proper notice. See ARS 33-1375 or ARS 33-1381. She must allow you to pick up your property and has certain duties to you per ARS 33-1370 D,E, F, G H... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Collections and Consumer Law for Arizona on
Q: Can a third party collection agency sue for an account charged off since 2012?

a local law firm has a 120-day hold on funds in my checking account for a credit card bill that was charged off since 2012. Most of the money in that account is from Social Security AND According to the Fair Debt act they should not be able to sue me for an account over three years old. I never... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Aug 25, 2018

The collection agency can bring an action against you and may be entirely justified in doing so. Your job is to promptly respond by raising any and all defenses that are available. One defense might be statute of limitations. Another might be that your social security funds are exempt. There... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Criminal Law for Arizona on
Q: What is the current case law regarding the feeding of feral cats, and can a home owners association prohibit the activiy

We reside in a gated community controlled by an HOA in the City of Mohave Valley, County of Mohave.. There is a colony of “Community Cats” also residing in the neighborhood due to uncontrolled breeding. We have begun a Trap, Neuter and release effort, however, our neighbors have stated a strong... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Jun 12, 2018

I would need to know more about your HOA CC&R's and how this new rule was adopted before I could answer your questions concerning the rule and whether it is enforceable. If the new rule was adopted lawfully, you will need to abide by it or risk being fined. If this is a bad rule and you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Arizona on
Q: Daughter applied for loan, single, married before closing, lender did not update single status on ppwk, does it matter?

She could not qualify for the loan, her father and I co signed, I was concerned they did not update the paperwork to married, although I asked, they said it would be fine. They did however know she was married because we had to pay a judgment against husband before they would close on the house,... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Jun 1, 2018

No, nothing was done wrong. Disclosure was made to the lender and the lender closed the loan. Your daughter's obligation was to disclose her status. Then it was up to the lender to proceed or to revise the documents to include her husband.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Divorce, Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: Does my deceased moms will have any power over house contract. What options do we have.

My mom and her x husband bought a house in 89 and then divorced about 10 years later. In their divorce the judge said for them to sell the house to split 50/50. Her x husband wasn't interested in the house he let it go into hawk and him and his new wife bought a house in another city. My mom... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Apr 30, 2018

This is an issue involving a large sum of money. When dealing with something of this importance, you need to discuss with a real estate attorney. Your attorney will need to review the divorce decree and the deed to this home before he or she can answer your question.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Social Security for Arizona on
Q: Can a Notice of Errata be used to correct for factual error by the opposing litigant in civil case in fed distr Court?
Joel Friedman
Joel Friedman answered on Apr 15, 2018

I do not accept clients with United States District Court civil cases. My practice is limited to representation of individuals with Arizona work injury claims

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Probate and Small Claims for Arizona on
Q: How long must we wait for property be released after completing a Small Estate Affidavit in Arizona?

We completed a Small Estate Affidavit for a storage unit facility refuses to grant access to the unit for 2 months. They claim they have to "verify" the Affidavit before allowing the heir any access to the property. It has been weeks, but still no access granted. How long can they... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Apr 6, 2018

There is no waiting period for the use of a small estate affidavit. Access can be given immediately unless the contract signed with this business provides otherwise. I would demand immediate access unless they have something in writing and signed giving them the right to delay.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Arizona on
Q: i have signed a release on my litigation case but have not recieved any funds can i change my mind

i have skitzophrenia and am smi and i have never personaly met my lawyers and did not understand the release until recently i had a friend explain it to me...there is a chance or posibly i can die from and get diseases from

the implant. my lawyers said that they just put that in the... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Mar 20, 2018

You may be able to change your mind but I recommend discussing this issue with independent counsel before you decide. Independent counsel can review the materials you signed and can learn more about the facts of your case. He or she can give you an opinion as to what is in your best interest.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Arizona on
Q: We are representing ourselves in a litigation case against a home servicing company.

We are at the stage of opposing side asking to dismiss. The judge denied their request 3 times, One of the approved was the Breach of Contract to include a few other charges. I now need to follow up doing a rebuttal I believe it is called to the ones that the apposing side has defended requesting... Read more »

Michael Gerity
Michael Gerity answered on Mar 16, 2018

Hello. I hate to say it, but this goes WAY beyond the kind of legal advice you should be seeking on an online question and answer forum. It's not really even clear whether you are the plaintiff or defendant, and it's nearly impossible to address issues relating to dismissal without a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Business Formation, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Arizona on
Q: We hired a venue for my daughter's quinceanera cost us over $10,000. A shoebox with at least $5,000 of gifts was stolen.

The venue had no security cameras and I found out that this is happened before and they still have not put security cameras in. Can we hold them liable for the $5,000 of stolen merchandise.

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Mar 13, 2018

You may have a good claim. Generally, a business is not responsible for the criminal conduct of a third party. But where a business has notice of prior thefts and does not take reasonable steps to secure its premises for the protection of its customers, there can be liability for a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Legal Malpractice for Arizona on
Q: Victim of a drunk driver that damaged property exceeding $30,000 in repairs. Need a lawyer who can file civil suits.

The drunk driver was dismissed of all chargers. I am looking for a lawyer who can pursue a civil law suit and look into if there was any leniency towards the defendant. Victim feels as if there was not enough action taken for restitution and wants to sue the city of Yuma. Are there lawyers here in... Read more »

Priscilla Frisby
Priscilla Frisby answered on Feb 23, 2018

First you need to search for other possible insurance policies on which to make claims, but if there are no other policies available, besides the one you have exhausted, then you need to do an asset search on the liable party to see if it will be worth the return on your investment to file a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Divorce for Arizona on
Q: Can I respond to the Plaintiffs Notice of Intent to turn my motion to dismiss into summary judgement?

Lawsuit filed by my ex for a large amount of money. In his complaint he is claiming Conversion and Breach of Bailment Contract and the only items attached to his complaint to back up his claims is a list of items with ludicrous values attached to them. He is claiming in his complain that I refused... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Feb 20, 2018

If you are representing yourself in this litigation you need to be familiar with court rules. See rule 12 (d) that states when matters outside the pleadings are presented in support of a motion to dismiss under rule 12, the Court shall treat the motion as one for summary judgment. You have some... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.