Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Iowa Collections Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Collections for Iowa on
Q: Is a gentleman's handshake legal in Iowa? We sold a truck to a friend and have not received ful payment. what can we do?

My husband sold his truck to a person that worked for us and trusted he would pay us back. No paperwork was signed and we haven't received a "payment" in months. He has done a few hundred dollars worth of work for us but now isn't answering phone calls or texts. Do we have an... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jul 5, 2023

An Iowa attorney could advise best, but you posted two weeks ago. In general nationwide, verbal contracts can be enforceable. However, some contracts by their nature must be in writing to satisfy requirements under the statute of frauds (such as contracts for goods over a certain amount, real... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Collections for Iowa on
Q: Faltered on auto loan, not my vehicle, company filed lien on me,options?

Girlfriends vehicle what options do I have regarding responsibility or bankruptcy

W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
answered on Feb 27, 2023

Much of the best answer depends upon whether/what docs you signed regarding the auto loan.

That the auto loan lender "filed a lien" against you strongly suggests that you signed some form of personal guaranty of payment on that loan. If so, and the loan is in default, the lender...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Iowa on
Q: Can a Collection agency charge interest in Iowa on a medical debt that has no interest in the billing contract?

They have served me papers including interest and fees.

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
answered on Feb 24, 2023

Maybe. Prejudgment interest can accrue at a statutory rate on the amount owed. An Attorney would have to review the complaint.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law and Collections for Iowa on
Q: If some one keeps giving out your phone number knowing that they are doing it falsely, is there any grounds for a suite?

who ever had my number before keeps giving it out for every thing under the sun that they don't want to ever pay or deal with. And it has been over 10 years. Is there any thing here I can do on the legal end to stop them?

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
answered on Sep 28, 2022

You can talk to a local lawyer whether this constitutes harassment but you have to determine who is responsible for doing so. Or you can change your phone number.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Collections and Consumer Law for Iowa on
Q: I filed chapter 7 last year, final. One creditor refused to be notified over phone, called me many times during

All other creditors took filing and attorney info over the phone (call recorded by me). Bankruptcy had been final for a time when the bank in question FINALLY took the attorney's information OVER THE PHONE! While it was happening I researched the number (would not answer it, as it was... View More

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Aug 6, 2022

You should sue them or at the very least bring contempt proceedings against them for violations the stay.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Real Estate Law and Collections for Iowa on
Q: I own a timeshare in Mass and paid my maintenance fee late. They are refusing my payment (check).

I did not find any emails from them until I looked at my spam so it looked like I was avoiding them. I informed them by email that I was waiting for my tax return because I saw that there was a one-time Maintenance increase for an owner agreed on repairs. I have asked them to work with me but... View More

Michael Hales
Michael Hales
answered on Jun 5, 2019

If they never sent you paper bills, you may have an argument that they did not give you notice. If that does not work, you may have an attorney negotiate with the collection agency. Most timeshare companies use the same collection companies. I've found that they'll typically negotiate on... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Collections and Small Claims for Iowa on
Q: My husband owes $6,000 due to a fender bender in Washington State. How do I start a payment plan to get that paid back?

They suspended his licence too. Need to get that back

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Apr 16, 2018

Did he have insurance? If so that should cover it. You need to talk to someone who hanldles suspensions to see what his options are.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Civil Litigation and Collections for Iowa on
Q: What is my legal recourse in being garnished for my ex-husband’s medical bill?
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Apr 16, 2018

If you signed or co-signed as guarantor debt or have some legal obligation to pay them, there is no recourse. However, if you have been garnished for his bills and arenot liable for them, you can bring a wrongful garnishment suit against those creditors.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Insurance Defense, Collections and Personal Injury for Iowa on
Q: Does Iowa have a code for time it takes the defendant’s insurer to issue the settlement check.
Stephen Douglas Lombardi
Stephen Douglas Lombardi
answered on Aug 31, 2017

There is no set time, although it is normally done within a week. Of course the time depends on the terms of the settlement, the signing of paperwork, modification of the terms stated in the paperwork and the type of settlement. Is it for property damage, car rental, medical expenses, an annuity or... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.