Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Colorado Civil Litigation Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Colorado on
Q: can breeder require me to purchase a specific brand of food for a 2-4 year period?

the breeder is apart of a multi level marketing company that represent the food that is being required with the purchase of the dog

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Nov 8, 2019

Probably not, most breeder contracts are not enforceable. The problem is that you may have to spend 4 or 5 months in litigation to find out.

I would suggest not dealing with a breeder that wants you to sign a contract they pulled off some fly by night website or who is running an MLM. If...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Business Law, Civil Litigation and White Collar Crime for Colorado on
Q: What can happen to a notary that notarizes completely blank POA's? He tells people to fill them out later.

This guy works for the county jail. He passes them out to inmates. What can happen to him? I know this is wrong. They are complete blank, nothing filled out. He just notarizes them like this.

William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Oct 14, 2019

In my jurisdiction he would lose his ability to be a notary; if he's a licenced paralegal or lawyer there would be sanctions from the law society; depending on the context and extent there could be criminal charges for breach of duty or fraud.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Colorado on
Q: Can you sue an undocumented immigrant in small claims court?
Nelson Patrick Boyle
Nelson Patrick Boyle answered on Oct 4, 2019

Ostensibly, yes. Just like any case, the constitution and the court rules require that you have to serve the person with the lawsuit. If you succeed, then you can proceed. Many small claims courts have "law clinics" for people representing themselves. There's some forms and resources... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Domestic Violence for Colorado on
Q: Boyfriend wants to kick me out. I am not on lease, hid me & my 2 sons in order to get approved on HOA townhome. Rights?

Applied for place as single man because I have eviction under my name and he didn't want us to get denied. He signed declaration of residency in order for my sons to attend 2 seperate schools. He now wants us out. Do I have any rights, seeing I'll just be homeless with 2 children...

James Newell
James Newell answered on Aug 21, 2019

You may have rights as a subtenant. It can get complex so It's best to speak to an attorney about this.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Insurance Bad Faith for Colorado on
Q: Can a structural engineer force their claims based policy to cover a claim retro, if they have stopped doing business?

Structural engineer who no longer is in business had a claims based policy which supposedly ends when they stop paying the policy premiums. Other contractors the insurance company will cover if they had insurance at the time of work. Is an insurer required to defend a suit after the policy... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Jul 22, 2019

The answer to your question will depend upon the language contained in your policy. It could be either.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Civil Litigation for Colorado on
Q: Won a labor case and then won the appeal Recieved the final order and decision Now served with a civil summons

Does the Certified Final order and decision Trump the civil summons for this case.?

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Jul 9, 2019

It is really impossible to answer your question based on the scant facts. You have been served with a lawsuit, even if the lawsuit is a loser (for the Plaintiff) you must answer and assert your defense. I recommend that you contact an attorney to review the facts of the first case and the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Colorado on
Q: A friend of mine is on the verge of having to serve a 5 year federal BOP sentence. She needs an injunction against those

She requires a civil injunction against those who seek to deprive her of her property while she is away. She is a New Mexico resident. She owns Harleys... Trucks... A home...etc... Her plea bargain is on the docket for July 11th, 2019. And she has already found that her motorcycles have had their... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Jul 5, 2019

If she owns that much property, she can afford to retain counsel.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims, Civil Litigation, Landlord - Tenant and Libel & Slander for Colorado on
Q: What action to take when forcibly kicked out with no notice?

My landlord on a month to month single room rental that had no lease kicked me out of the house mid month with rent completely paid up to the end of month. He gave no notice at all and forced me to leave immediately without getting all of my belongings, he also forced me to give back my house key... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Jun 16, 2019

You may want to bring a claim for damages in Small Claims Court.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Health Care Law for Colorado on
Q: How does a garnishment for a hospital stay work? And how can I stop it or condense it?

A court was held but I didn't know and just received all the paperwork after being garnished this last paycheck.

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Jun 10, 2019

Have your considered filing Bankruptcy? This is usually the most effective method and you may gain additional debt relief in the process.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Contracts for Colorado on
Q: Looking for a Civil Attorney. Left leg amputated. Not get a fair trial exculpatory evidence held from the jury.
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 9, 2019

It looks like you are seeking an attorney for what appears to be an appeal matter. Do not wait to be contacted by attorney. That isn't the way this board works. It is for posting legal questions. You can seek out attorneys, but you can't sit and wait to be contacted by one based on a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Colorado on
Q: I asked someone to appraise a bracelet now they do not want to return it after finding cost
Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Jun 6, 2019

Have you called the police?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Colorado on
Q: Questions about recourse for paying for a Financial Aid Refund I never received.

I recently found out that I have been repaying $13,942 worth of financial aid refunds that I never requested nor received. This was for the 2010/2011 school year. Since I was repaying other student loans, and was on an income based repayment plan, I did not realize that these were included. I... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on May 27, 2019

You should consider contacting an attorney to draft a demand letter for you. If that fails a lawsuit will force them to produce proof of the debt if they are unable you will not be required to pay the debt.

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation and Contracts for Colorado on
Q: Do new owners take over existing contracts from old businesses?

We signed a contract for some kitchen remodeling and put around 2000 down. Franchise got sold and new owners are saying they don’t have to honor the contract. Can someone help me?

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on May 1, 2019

Maybe. Someone has an obligation per the contract, either the buyer or the seller depending upon the specifics of the transaction and your contract.

You should have an attorney review your contract and likely send a demand letter to other contractor.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation and Contracts for Colorado on
Q: Are colorado and/or US citizens governed by foreign law
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 4, 2019

Yes, but only if the Colorado or US citizens are within the jurisdiction of the foreign nation, or have agreed to be governed by foreign laws.

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Colorado on
Q: My ex gave me a dog as a Christmas present. We lived together with the dog for 3 years, He's claiming rights to her now.

After he gave her to me I paid all the vet bills, micro chipping, injuries, dog food etc... She was bought off Craig's list in cash by his mother. I have her in my possession now but I'm scared of what he's capable of doing now. We originally made a verbal agreement to share her but... Read more »

Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten answered on Apr 2, 2019

If he gave her to you, then she’s yours. The only way he can legally get her back and keep her is if he takes you to court and wins. If you have all other documents in your name then you will have a good chance at court if he takes you to court.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Public Benefits for Colorado on
Q: Can you change your mind the next day and ask the courts if you could remöve your name off the contract?

Landlord would not downsize me to a one bedroom. My section 8 voucher was lowered from a two bedroom and I couldn't afford it and I fell behind in rent . furthermore, the contract states I must vacate after paying incorrectly charged costs 28 days they want $1500 and no money to move with and... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Feb 6, 2019

You can file a motion for reconsideration or request the court to reject your stipulated settlement agreement.

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Personal Injury for Colorado on
Q: Can a person be banned from a public space by an informal administrative order?

I have been "banned" from a public library for violating "policies" until I meet certain conditions.

This was decided by a hearing in absentia conducted by the library administration not a hearing officer.

I have been threatened with arrest for trespassing if I... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 23, 2019

Assuming the library owns its building they can decide who to admit. You can contact the Colorado Civil Liberties Union but I don't see that they couldn't, especially if you appeared to violate their rules for conduct or use of materials.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Civil Litigation for Colorado on
Q: How can A company enforce a mutual binding arbitration agreement, If I was terminated two days prior to signing the form

I was suspended from work for not signing The companies mutual binding arbitration agreement, Two days prior to my return to work I was terminated by the company. For not signing the agreement, I had been employed by this company for about 19 months. How can a company enforce such an agreement??

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Jan 17, 2019

If you have not agreed to an arbitration agreement the company will not be able to compel arbitration.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Colorado on
Q: I own a powder coating company. A customer is claiming that a project I powder coated failed in the field.

I charged approximately $300 for his project. He wants me to pay him in excess of $4,000 for the costs to repair. What is the extent of my liability?

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Dec 19, 2018

Hopefully, your contract limits your liability. Seems unlikely that your $300 job created $4,000 in damages. If you get sued you should contact and attorney to defend you.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Criminal Law for Colorado on
Q: What can be done to stop a person from harassing another? Besides stopping the behavior what damages may be collected?

Individual known to be dangerous, is stalking my friend. He appears at the grocery store and terrifies her! He talks to her against her wishes, after she has told him to stop and leave her alone. He is a convicted felon, who has spent time in prison. He talks about having guns, is believed to be... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Dec 7, 2018

She needs to obtain a Protective Order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.