Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Ohio Gov & Administrative Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: I was wondering what the current up to date age of consent is in the state of Ohio
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Sep 22, 2021

The age of consent in Ohio is 16. That said, an adult who engages in a sexual relationship with a child runs a lot of other, non-sex offense legal risks like contributing to the delinquency of a minor and interference with child custody. It's best to just stick to 18 and up.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: Can my employer put me on unpaid administrative leave cause another employee lying about me saying I said a curse word

A week prior to being put on unpaid administrative leave my supervisor had asked me if I said the F word at work while I was in a meeting with my union grievance official. I told her no I did not. I worked the whole following week with no issues. Then the next week after that week I was out on FMLA... Read more »

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer answered on Mar 17, 2021

More information is needed to fully analyze your situation. Is your administrative leave paid? You should contact an employment attorney in your area to discuss whether you may have a claim for FMLA interference or FMLA retaliation, depending on what ultimately happens with regard to your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Social Security for Ohio on
Q: Am I allowed to earn money while receiving ssi? If yes how much can I earn, and not affect my payment?
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore answered on Dec 30, 2020

FYI, the short answer is any work is a bad idea. SSA doesn't have a minimum amount that is required before they review your file and possibly make a new decision.

The longer answer is that SSA does not review files for a couple of years at a time. To get their attention sooner, you...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: Is it illegal for an inmate to give you ideas over the phone on what to post on social media to advocate them

Advocating them to get life in prison instead of Death row

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Dec 14, 2020

Generally no, but if those are ideas involve threatening or coercing witnesses/victims, then yes.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: In ohio how do i find out if im linked to a specific car or that cars license plate?

Ex. I have an active warrant amd no license in ohio but my cars registered in my dads name so that way its legal but if ohio cop runs plates will he get my current info such as warrant xcetera???

David A. Ingram
David A. Ingram answered on Oct 31, 2020

In Ohio, warrants are issued against a person, not property. While the car is registered to your father, the warrant is linked to your name, date of birth, and social security number. The BMV will put a warrant block on your license (if you had one), preventing you from renewing your license until... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Business Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: Is it legal in Ohio for retailers to refuse cash payment? All US monies have "Legal Tender" on them...

Most retailers in our area are refusing cash payment and instead are requiring you to pay via card or some sort of cash app.

Mark Martin Turner
Mark Martin Turner answered on Jul 16, 2020

Yes, it is legal for a private business to accept only some sorts of payments and to refuse cash payments. A governmental institution or chartered bank cannot refuse cash.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Real Estate Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: Our deed was fraudulently transferred. The criminals have since been convicted. We have yet to have the deed returned.

This happened over 2yrs ago and the title office and everyone else has given us the runaround. The property has since taken on extensive damage due to vandalism ect.. What should be our next steps. Would the county be at least partially responsible for damages? The criminals were ordered almost... Read more »

Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss answered on Jul 13, 2020

If the original court proceeding found the transfer to be fraudulent, you can use that to seek a voiding of the transfer. You may need to file a complaint for declaratory judgment and quiet title.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Gov & Administrative Law, Traffic Tickets and Internet Law for Ohio on
Q: Could someone find my address and name from my drivers license number?

Someone cut me off in vehicle in an Arby’s parking lot, stopped in front of me and wouldn’t let me through, so I had to lay on my horn to get them to move. After they moved and began flicking me off, I had to follow them around the corner because it was the only way out that I knew of. They... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Jun 8, 2020

Yes, they could possibly find your address or track you down. This sort of thing is how road rage escalates to tragic outcomes - even blowing your horn, or especially gesturing at them, could be dangerous. Everyone is tense. Do not engage with other drivers in traffic. Avoid eye contact. They... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: 2925.14A_B DRUG PARAPHENALIA (MM) is this a minor misdemeanor?

I received this charge in 2018 and recently I have been training and studying for a concealed carry permit, I'm worried this may have an affect on obtain such a permit and I hope to receive the information needed to understand this better.

Breezy M Warner
Breezy M Warner answered on Mar 25, 2020

In Ohio violation of ORC2925.14 is a 4th degree misdemeanor minor, it is not a felony which would effect your ability to get a concealed carry permit.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: Is the question below legally allowed to be enforced by the University I am attending?

The University I am at enforced a new parking rule saying cars are not allowed to pull through a spot or back into it, all the license plates need to be facing the isle for the security cars to scan them. I feel like that’s a bit much and can the university really restrict the way in which a car... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Feb 3, 2020

A parking lot is private property, and the owner can impose any restrictions on parking, and tow vehicles that do not comply.

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Land Use & Zoning for Ohio on
Q: How is this portion of the Ohio revised code not unconstitutional?

Ohio revised code 505.07 seems purpose written to allow Township Trustees and Developers to effectively negate the results of any zoning referendum and deny citizens voting rights. Consider the following scenario, Trustees have been ignoring recommendations from zoning board and residents to not... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Dec 19, 2019

Local governments can mostly do what they want unless subjected to a legal challenge. Concerned residents can join together and use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney who handles administrative law, land use, and zoning issues, to advise them about filing a lawsuit.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: My house and garage were broken in my car and belongs stolen. The criminals got hold of the title and by fraudulent mean

My house and garage were broken in my car and belongs stolen. The criminals got hold of the title and by means of fraud and forgery (they falsified my signature) were able to switch over the title to somebody else. Not only was my signatures falsified but the title itself was not up to BMV... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Nov 11, 2019

No, you’re not going to have a good case against the BMV. It’s a government agency which means it has qualified immunity. That basically boils down to you cannot sue then over mistakes only affirmative conduct. So unless they were in on the scam, you’re going to have to go after the thieves... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: What can be done if the written statement is that of the witness’s girlfriend instead of the witness?

The officer took a statement from my ex-husband, when I received the discovery I noticed the statement is filled out by what looks to be a female’s handwriting, but I know for a fact that it’s not my ex husbands hand writing. His name is at the beginning of the statement and he signed and dated... Read more »

William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Oct 22, 2019

Not knowing all the details, but as long as it's his words, his evidence, it doesn't matter if he wrote it or dictated it to someone. Often police officers will take the statement, write as they are speaking with the witness and then have the witness sign the statement.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: I am 17 and 8 months old can I legally move out in the state of ohio?

An older lady friend of mine told me that at this point the cops can be callled but they wont do anything since I am almost 18. Is this true or will I still get in trouble since I am not fully 18 yet?

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Oct 4, 2019

You are not a legal adult until age 18. Nobody can predict what the police or children's services might or might not do if you leave before then. Even if they take no action, will you be finishing your education so you can be a responsible, productive adult? If you leave, will you still... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: Is it illegal to miss pronounce Arkansas
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Jul 14, 2019

Are you kidding?

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: Hello. If someone is arrested on two different warrants from the same county but one n juvinile and one n common pleas,

If they're taking n front of the common pleas judge and he sets bond and the clerk and bondsman say that paying the bond will get her released is this possible? Doesn't felony trump the rest

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jun 11, 2019

As long as bond is posted on both cases, yes.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: Can a common pleas judge set bond on a felony case and a juvenile court case in the same county
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jun 11, 2019

The juvenile court is a division of the court of common pleas. Generally, there are judges dedicated to juvenile and the circumstances in which an adult court judge might set a bond in a juvenile matter are limited but they have the authority to do so.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Contracts and Appeals / Appellate Law for Ohio on
Q: Is there a way to get State of Ohio to review their finding of a teacher’s performance rating?
Bruce Martin Broyles
Bruce Martin Broyles answered on May 31, 2019

The teacher has the administrative right to challenge the performance rating by the terms of the teacher's contract. There are very specific objections or challenges to the performance rating that have to be brought within strict time limits.

Students and parents do not have such a right.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law and Health Care Law for Ohio on
Q: I was wondering what type of lawyer I would talk to about inappropriate behavior between a teacher and my daughter.

Not sexual in nature. Just inappropriate conversations about my daughters mental health during and outside of school. They are woman teachers.

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Mar 10, 2019

You should talk to the teacher and the school. That doesn’t sounds legally actionable, at least not yet.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: CFR › Title 13 › Chapter I › Part 124 › Subpart A › Section 124.103 thalis is my situation
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jan 4, 2019

That's a definition section defining "socially disadvantaged persons" as used elsewhere in the CFR. It's just a definition. The section itself doesn't actually do anything, and you have not asked a question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.