Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Ohio Gov & Administrative Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: If I have a open CPS case but my boyfriend doesn't can he take my children out of state to visit my family without me

I don't mind him doing it because I know I will see my kids again but what about my CPS working. Is it against the law for him to do it. The only reason my case is still open is because I have completed my counceling yet due to no vehicle. However I have complied with everything else. Stayed... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Feb 13, 2018

He has no legal basis to have the kids if he has not established paternity and a court has not granted him parental rights. What if they need medical treatment while he travels with them? He does not have custody, so that would be a problem. Check with CPS before allowing him to do that.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Gov & Administrative Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: What are my options?

I got a speeding ticket two days before my 18th birthday for going 50 in a 35. I got a letter stating I have to appear in juvenile court so I will probably get my license suspended, is there anything I can do to keep my license? It wasn't processed until almost a month and a half later

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on May 24, 2017

You can get an attorney to advise you and accompany you to court. Use the Find a Lawyer tab.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: How do I find case law regarding county governments exceeding their authority under state statute?

Ohio Revised Code Section 5323.99

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Mar 9, 2017

The best way for a citizen to locate applicable case law is to go to there nearest public law school's library and ask the librarians for help.

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for Ohio on
Q: can a local officer of a village or township be held accountable for perjury to said village/township's governing body

Council member has repeatedly stated she has met and discussed proposals ,plans with local resident ,when in fact no meeting has ever taken place

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Feb 6, 2017

Perjury occurs when a person lies under oath during a court proceeding. Not just when someone lies. Most of the accountability for this sort of stuff is in potential removal from the position by the rest of the council, difficulty getting re-elected, and trouble working with others in the community... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Legal Malpractice for Ohio on
Q: I am starting a dissolution or divorce with my with wife. Can her brother who is a lawyer in Florida represent her?

He has not passes the Ohio Bar exam.

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Jan 13, 2017

He cannot appear in court in Ohio as her attorney or file any documents on her behalf as her attorney. But anyone can give her advice, even him.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: Election Law.

If a sheriff does not have the qualifications to run for sheriff and he is not checked out by the Board of Elections and his name is put on the ballot is he a legal sheriff if he wins the election?

Thank You

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jan 5, 2015

Until the sheriff is actually removed from office, you had better consider him the legal sheriff.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: What geographical area within the borders of Ohio would best define the territorial jurisdiction and

authority that permits THE STATE OF OHIO to implement their policies You are right The U.S constitution and THE STATE OF OHIO constitution

is a social contract if you are a lawyer or attorney, any government employees have a contract. You took a oath to U.S and to OHIO constitution. So... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jan 1, 2015

Territorial jurisdiction of what? A court? A law enforcement agency? Which one?

The territorial jurisdiction is the land on which a court or agency has power. For example, the Cuyahoga County Common Pleas court has jurisdiction over Cuyahoga county. Or, the Cleveland Municipal Court has...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.