Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Maryland Business Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Contracts for Maryland on
Q: independent contractor and believe I may need lawyer services to assist with reviewing my documents. Can you he

Do you offer pro bono for this?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 4, 2020

A Maryland attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. You could use the Find-a-Lawyer tab above or search for attorneys on your own. But many of the attorneys and organizations that offer pro bono services usually do it based on financial need in areas such as... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Maryland on
Q: Can I sue CPA for business agreement negligence.

i sold business on monthly payment now buyer stop payment and close account. When i check my legal document I missing the" promissory note". In bill of sale and agreement it doesn't mention by CPA , when happens, if buyer refused to make a payment. CPA told me my only option is the... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jul 29, 2020

You cannot sue for negligence. This is a breach of contract. You didn’t use a lawyer, apparently, for this transaction. If your CPA provided the sales contract for this transaction then he was engaged in the unauthorized practice of law, which is another matter altogether. Take your documents to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Small Claims for Maryland on
Q: I sold my business for monthly payment. now buyer stop check and closed bank account.buyer negotiate for less amount.

I am seller of business and sold to Buyer for 30k and we agree on 10k monthly payment.payment was $1000 every month but after 2 payments, buyer stop payment and also closed bank account. now buyer wants to negotiate the balance for 6k for 8k (one time payment). I still have those 10 checks... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jul 28, 2020

The buyer is in breach. Sue for the amount owed on the purchase contract.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Maryland on
Q: LLC is forfeited due to not filing the property taxes?

I have an LLC and registered it in 2016. I failed to file the property taxes/ or annual report and didn't realize I have to do so. I am making anything from the business and income is zero up until now.

I figured that I can revive or reinstate my business but that requires a filing of... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jul 3, 2020

You can walk away, do nothing. Do not carry on business under the name (or if you do, you are a sole proprietor—so you can register the name, without the LLC designation, under your personal name). If you want to continue in business as an LLC without paying the costs of reinstatement you can... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Contracts for Maryland on
Q: I have agreement and bill of sale but his accountant didn't make promissory note . can also sue him for legally fee too.
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jun 22, 2020

Sue who? Did you sell the business or buy it? His accountant works for him, not you. You don't have an agreement with the accountant. You can't sue the accountant. If you are owed money and sue, it is for breach of contract. Legal fees are only allowed if the contract says they are.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Contracts for Maryland on
Q: Buyer stop payment on business. 1st payment clear but 2nd stop. Reason normal wear and tear. Location. MD.what my rights

Payment start on may 2020. Business sold on 02/29/2020. First check clear and 2nd stop . Reason he hold my check because he has issue with POS,sink, AC.

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jun 21, 2020

There should be a buy-sell agreement, and I assume a promissory note securing payment of the terms of purchase. Those documents govern your remedies. Take them to a lawyer to review. Unless he is arguing intentional fraud or concealment of material defects in the property owned by the business... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Business Law for Maryland on
Q: Schedule K-1 Taxes on Conversion from LLC to C-Corp on unvested shares?

I was a partner with an LLC startup & it converted to a C-Corp in Jan 2019. At that point, I had been vested 33% of my LLC units/C-Corp Shares. In Apr 2019, my total number of shares (vested + unvested) were reduced from 125k to 48k. In Jul 2019, I vested another 33% of the new amount (half of... Read more »

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on May 17, 2020

There are several different types of restricted equity that can be provided to an employee. Each is taxed in a different way. To review your particular situation is going to require the documents for the equity grant and the conversation documents to be reviewed.

Without a thorough...
Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Business Law for Maryland on
Q: I own a sngl-mbr LLC (reg'd in FL). I own a home in MD. I want to rent it entirely to my LLC to operate business. Legal?

Is it legal for me to rent out my Maryland state home to my LLC (Registered in FL)? My LLC's principle address is the same as my Maryland home, but now I want to rent the home entirely to the LLC and move out. I would live somewhere else, but use the home for business purposes only. Given the... Read more »

Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg answered on May 1, 2020

I agree with Mr. Blackburn that it is perfectly legal, but I don't think it accomplishes what you are trying to accomplish. If the LLC you form is a passthrough entity with partnership taxation, then the formation is a wash. The rental income passes through to you after writing off the... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Employment Law for Maryland on
Q: received termination saying I executed confidentiality and invention assignment agreement from amazon.

on my day off I received a termination letter from Amazon stating that the reason for termination is I executed a confidentiality and invention assignment agreement. What does this even mean? I am so confused right now.

Joseph D. Allen
Joseph D. Allen answered on Apr 13, 2020

To speculate, given the lack of facts- perhaps the company is alleging a violation of their confidentiality agreement, rather than alleging that you signed one with another company. It might be advisable to discuss with a labor/employment attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Maryland on
Q: I work in Maryland was wondering does law account for employees at multiple store or if it’s just employees at 1 store

I work for arbys. The law was passed in 2018 it states for an employer with 15 or more employees they owe 1 hour of paid sick time for every 30 hours. I said something to my area supervisor he said since we only have 10 employees at my store it doesn’t affect us

Joseph D. Allen
Joseph D. Allen answered on Feb 18, 2020

The Maryland Healthy Working Families Act (aka Sick and Safe Leave) is a vague about whether franchises of the same restaurant chain would be counted together as the same employer for purposes of the 15 employee threshold. However, it is clear that if the national chain is properly the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Maryland on
Q: Does a S corporation have to be registered in MD, FL, VA or can it be legal without registration?
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jul 24, 2019

You’re mixing apples and oranges. First, any business that is not a state-registered entity (corporation, limited liability company, close corporation, etc.), is simply a sole proprietorship and all owners are personally at risk. A registered corporation can elect “Subchapter S” taxing status... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Formation, Business Law and Consumer Law for Maryland on
Q: Do I have a Maryland Consumer Loan license to lend a friend $6,000.00 and charge 14% interest for a four year term?
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 18, 2019

Say what? How can anyone know whether you "have a Maryland Consumer Loan license" or not? And why do you not know?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Contracts for Maryland on
Q: Can I force a partner out of a partnership LLC with no operations agreement, for not putting in enough time?

We are a cabinet manufacturer. We are attempting to be a women owned business that was created last year. We have not sold any work as of yet. We do have equipment we are paying for. The shop is located on my property, and everything is in my name. If I am not able to force them out, can I... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jun 11, 2019

You can withdraw from the company, boot it out of your home, and demand liquidation of the assets, and either pay your co-owner their fair share of the costs they expended on the equipment, or otherwise buy out out the equipment. Meantime, start a new LLC and begin cabinet making under a new... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Contracts for Maryland on
Q: I did side work (bookkeeping) without a contract and I'm terminating them. What's the best way to protect myself?

One owner requested I do things that, although are non-reportable but are wrong per the IRS, I won't agree so I'm ceasing the relationship with a termination letter. How do I best word it to protect myself?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 23, 2019

Unless you have a written contract with the company (or person) that says otherwise, you do not have to tell them any reason why you feel the need to terminate the relationship. Therefore, IMPO you should keep your letter of resignation as short as possible, making very sure not to say anything... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Maryland on
Q: If a synagogue merger requires the approval of two-thirds of its members, does the two-thirds requirement apply only to

If a synagogue merger requires the approval of two-thirds of its members, does the two-thirds requirement apply only to those voting or to the entire membership.

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Apr 2, 2019

Depends what the by-laws or operating agreement specifies. It is common for the majority requirement for passage of resolutions or decisions to be limited to those present at the meeting called for that purpose, but generally there is a “quorum” requirement in that scenario, which is also... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Maryland on
Q: What is the maximum interest I can charge for a business tenant rent default in Maryland

this is a partial rent default by an offshore tenant

Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann answered on Mar 20, 2019

Maryland's usury laws are fairly complicated. The location of the tenant is likely irrelevant. The general legal rate of interest in MD is 6%. Most of the time people can charge up to 8% so long as there is a written agreement to that effect. However parties can agree in various... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Maryland on
Q: What section/article of MD Code deals with requirements for non-profit associations re: budget approval by board?

The board of our 501(c)(6) non-profit association is spread out geographically throughout the Eastern and Western Shores of MD, and our budget needs to be approved. We want to know if the State of Maryland Code allows voting on approval of our budget electronically (via email). Thank you.

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Mar 1, 2019

MD Code, Corporations and Associations, § 2-409. Place and notice of meetings

(a) Unless the bylaws of the corporation provide otherwise, a regular or special meeting of the board of directors may be held at any place in or out of the State or by means of remote communication....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Maryland on
Q: My mom owned a cosmetology school. It was under a LLC. The business closed, and the students had to transfer....

Because the students transferred, the insurance my mom had "covered" the expenses of the students tuition and fees. This insurance company is claiming she, the co-owner, and LLC lawyer signed the Indemnity Agreement which makes the owners liable for the damages. The insurance already sent... Read more »

Arnab Kumar Banerjee
Arnab Kumar Banerjee answered on Jan 29, 2019

i need some more information. what are the terms of indemnity agreement your mother signed ? are they hold her liable ? can you share me the indemnity contract ?

without knowing the exact terms i cannot give you any advice.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Maryland on
Q: What do I need to do to keep my company TM but have it revert from a federally registered one to just a regular TM?

I'd like to do this as cheaply as possible.

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jan 24, 2019

The federal trademark is a nationally recognized trademark that allows you to potentially block users anywhere from using it under the federal law. However, nobody can block you from using the mark that you have been using prior to any other party's adoption of it. For most small businesses... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Business Law and Intellectual Property for Maryland on
Q: I am starting my own business. I came up with the name in 2008, but there's a 2017 tv show with the same name...

I invented the name for my business back in 2007-2008 and want to use this name as I am starting my own consulting business. However, in 2017 there was a documentary/TV series created with the same name. Is this copyright infringement if I go forward using the name I'd come up with? It's... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jan 2, 2019

As long as you are not creating written or media pieces (film) with the name as a title (assuming the name is unique and identical to the TV show) then there is probably neither copyright nor trademark infringement. But without reviewing the specific title and nature of your business it is... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.