Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Mississippi Libel & Slander Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Libel & Slander for Mississippi on
Q: Can I do anything if I was wrongfully accused of stealing in a store? No law was involved, but I was humiliated.

I entered into the store I shop at on a regular basis on October 21 at 2:30pm . I walked into the store and went straight to the aisle to get a Drone I had seen the past week that I was going to purchase. A lady, who appeared to be an employee told me I need to leave the store. She said she had me... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 16, 2020

A Mississippi attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for four weeks. At this point, you could reach out to attorneys who handle such cases, but keep in mind that such matters would not be likely to be handled on a contingency basis. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Libel & Slander for Mississippi on
Q: Is it considered slander for someone to post personal information about an employee on your business page?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 6, 2020

Slander consists of verbal defamation. If in writing, it would be libel. But there is nothing mentioned about the statement being false and damaging. So it is possible that it is not any form of defamation. It could be a privacy or confidentiality-based violation. Your post remains open for four... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Libel & Slander for Mississippi on
Q: is it against the law for the plaintiff's attorney in youth Court to take hearsay & lies & put it in the legal document

& file it with the court?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 24, 2019

This is something you must consult with a Mississippi attorney about, but your question remains open for three weeks. As a general matter, if someone deliberately includes false information in court documents, knowing it to be false and knowing the court will rely on it, that could be a form of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Contracts, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Mississippi on
Q: Hello, I am considering pursuit of any money delagated to lamar county residents for compensation of the salmon and re

Ated projects. The cancer rate, effects on soil, water, animals, and children.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 23, 2019

As a starting point, you could contact an environmental attorney or toxic tort attorney in Mississippi and ask if they would give you a free initial consultation. Keep in mind that these types of cases could require considerable budgets. They can involve costly soil and water sampling and analysis... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Legal Malpractice and Libel & Slander for Mississippi on
Q: Is the plaintiff's attorney allowed to put hearsay & lies in a document and file it with the courts?

If it's against the law what can I do about it?

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Aug 9, 2019

Are you serious?

Are you really asking if sn attorney can legally lie to the court?

If you believe thst is authorized, why would you consider believing anything a lawyer would write on here ?

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Mississippi on
Q: I had warrant issued today claiming cyberstalking. The people I have had arguments with have been threatening me.

If I made any threats they were only retaliation threats after I had already been threatened. As usual arguments go. I am being charged with cyber stalking, but the people who were cyber stalking me are the same people filing the charges. I need advice on how to handle this situation.

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Mar 10, 2019

Cyberstalking if a very tricky subject, and very fact intensive. Your best bet is going to be to contact a criminal defense attorney to go through the facts of your case and see what defenses that you may have available.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Mississippi on
Q: Can I defend myself in federal court?

In an abuse of process I am being sued in Federal court: Diversity- assault, libel, slander for reporting to corporate racial discrimination, sexual assault, fraud, bank fraud, embezzlement etc. If no lawyer will go up against Goliath will I be allowed to defend myself in federal court?

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Jan 21, 2019

You always have the ability and the right to defend yourself; however, federal court is much different than state court, in that there are much more procedural rules and things that you must be aware of.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Mississippi on
Q: I was injured at work and I filed a suit against my employer. I had been on my job 5 1/2 years with a good work record.

I was fired for allegedly falsifying documents which was untrue. This got really ugly. They intimidated me.harassed me and lied and defamed my character to discourage my law suit. Am I eligible to file an action against them

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Jan 13, 2019

You may be able to; however, it will depend on when you were injured, the type of employer, and whether the employer had worker's compensation coverage. I would strongly encourage you to reach out to an attorney ASAP, as there is only a set amount of time to initiate an action. Feel free to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Libel & Slander for Mississippi on
Q: What consequences are their for slander
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Sep 30, 2018

The typical consequence is some form of monetary damages; however, the amount for recovery is dependent on several factors, such as the damage to reputation, how many times the slander occurred, etc.

Q: I am in extreme hardship. I am a victim of administrative crime against me and my family. For 13 yrs now im disabled

Willful neglect to uphold law. Denied equal protection. Refused due process. Harressed.caused heart attack ptsd poverty falsely incarcerated. I have evidence fed. Law says i can be compenstated

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Aug 2, 2018

Your best bet would be to consult with an attorney so that you can go over the details of your case, and assess whether you have a valid claim that could entitle you to compensation.

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Libel & Slander for Mississippi on
Q: I live in Mississippi and I'm wanting to find out if I have a case against a local hotel in my area.

This hotel gave out details of my stay to someone claiming to be me. This person went to the hotel with my debit card number, said someone committed fraud using the card and the hotel proceeded to give this person details of my stay including my room number, receipts and also gave this person... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 22, 2018

Sounds like you have a case. You need an attorney for the place where it happened. Look for that state's Assn for Justice--their members give free consultations.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Employment Law for Mississippi on
Q: Is it slander if someone shows the surveillance video of you to someone else without your permission

I was fired from my job for clocking in and sitting in my car the whole time I was clocked in .my father-in-law went there today to see the surveillance video and my ex supervisor showed him the video without my permission. My wife is now considering divorce and taking my children from me. I would... Read more »

Charles Joseph Stiegler
Charles Joseph Stiegler answered on Mar 30, 2017

Slander only applies if the statement is false. In other words, if they told someone you were stealing, but you weren't actually stealing - that would be slander. Here, the video is not false, therefore it is not slander.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Libel & Slander and Family Law for Mississippi on
Q: Is it possible to sue your ex husband & his wife for damages due to extreme "parents alienation syndrome"?

I've had 22 surgeries & leg amputation since my ex took my kids. I recently received an email from my daughter & everything that she's been told have all been fabricated by her dad & his family. They are outrageousl! This has caused severe clinical depression & PTSD.... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 2, 2017

I don't see it but why not ask your divorce attorney?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.