Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Pennsylvania Collections Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: I'm looking for the best course of action to collect on a judgement issued by a magesterial court in Cambria County.

I recieved a judgement in my favor for money owed to me due to a breech of contract. Since I got this judgement in a magesterial court I found out that they can not help me collect. I was wondering what my best course of action would be? I looked into options at the district court and was thinking... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Mar 18, 2019

if you don't want to consult a lawyer, then assuming the time for them to appeal has run, go for a writ of execution with a wage loss attachment if they are working--that way you get the money, not an item that then has to be sold. The Sheriff's office for the county should help you.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Tax Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Need him to collect the IRS refund for Deceased husband.

Hello, My sister is a senior citizen. she has been trying to collect her deceased husbands IRS refund check for tax year 2017 since it was filed in 2018. She has contacted the IRS on numerous occasions and has been given several different instructions on how to get this accomplished. she has... Read more »

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell answered on Feb 20, 2019

I suggest that she call the Taxpayer Advocate in her area. She can look up the number at the following link

They will help her submit the correct paperwork. If that does not work she can try a low income taxpayer clinic in her...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: When our son has no job and has been served a summons for debt collection, what does he have to do?

The summons was served to his parents place in Ohio and from a court in Ohio, and he does not live in Ohio and has not for 3 years. He has no job, no money, no assets, no home,is living with this friend and that one somewhere in PA, so what does he have to do?

Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on Feb 16, 2019

First, he must first be officially served with the lawsuit. If this "service of process" is not satisfactorily obtained, then NOTHING happens: the court cannot enter a judgment against him without proper notice of the lawsuit. Some folks successfully dodge adverse judgments by ducking... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Tax Law, Collections and Gov & Administrative Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: PA-What's the Tax Penalty % for "Early W/Draw" of a Pension Plan? Also with "E W/D" can the IRS claim $ owed 4 yrs prior

My husband is currently disabled and we have had no income now for months. Until he can get any kind of help we have to pay to get our prior taxes done for his corporation (he no longer has - due to not being able to walk anymore); before we can do our personal taxes.

The only way to... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jan 30, 2019

The penalty varies from plan to plan. You can check with the plan administrator to determine exact amount. It is unlikely that the IRS is even aware of the pension plan, do very doubtful that they will be able to seize money.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: If I have already made payment arrangements with portfolio recovery, Do I still have to attend a conciliation meeting?

Got a letter that I was being sued by portfolio recovery for bad debt. Call and made payment arrangements. They sent me a letter confirming this and I had to send it back. Now I got a notice that there is a conciliation agreement meeting. Do I have to attend the meeting? There is already an... Read more »

Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on Dec 31, 2018

You should contact the court to inquire. It could very well be that Portfolio Recovery has already informed the court of the agreement, but maybe not. You can also ask Portfolio Recovery to cancel the court proceedings -- something things slip through the cracks. But short of the court telling... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Business Law and Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: Arbitration hearing or Judgement Issue?

In November of 2018 I received a notice from a sheriff’s deputy that a credit card debt that I had not paid was scheduled for arbitration for a date in July 2019. On December 3, 2018 I received a letter from the same law firm indicating that I had not filed a defense or objection in writing and... Read more »

Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on Dec 7, 2018

The problem may be your "assumptions." I suggest contacting the Delaware County Bar Association for an attorney referral, and then sit down with him/her and going over everything. Knowledge is power, y'know?

Best of luck to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: Being sued by portfolio Recovery Associates for a bad debt. Not working, can't afford lawyer what now?
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 28, 2018

Do you agree on the amount? Contact legal services. But don't let it go to default otherwise other charges may be added.

As to the debt, can Portfolio Recover show that they were "assigned" the debt? Anyone can say they were--can they prove it?

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: Do I have to appear at a credit card deposition?
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on Oct 26, 2018

Pretty impossible to answer your question without more context about your situation. I'll presume, however, that you've been sued by a credit card company for a bad debt, and the credit card company has scheduled your deposition in a civil case against you.

No, you don't...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: I received a personal loan with no written contract other than. .pay me when you can" I've been making monthly payments

Now they want payment in full by year end or taking me to a magistrate. Does she have a case?

Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on Oct 16, 2018

Yes, a case that you owe her money, but not really that you're overdue on payments. Still, I can see a magisterial district judge asking about what the verbal arrangement was, and entering a judgment anyway on the full amount due. The lower court won't craft a new contract for you with... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: A company has gone out of business, and a shipping company turned an outstanding fee over to a collection agency.

I purchased auto parts from a company approximately 2 years ago, and the company has since gone out of business. The parts I ordered were shipped to me via UPS Freight, and, apparently, the company did not pay the charges due on that shipment. UPS Freight has turned the outstanding bill over to a... Read more »

Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on Oct 9, 2018

I suppose it depends on what the delivery terms were, right? Unless UPS Freight has some sort of documentation that says *you* are responsible for the shipping costs, then they can't very well assert a valid claim. Tell them that.

Best of luck to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: I was widowed last year and my husband was paying on 3 tractors/lawnmowers. Am I responsible for making the payments?

I have been making the payments but financially it is getting difficult.

Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on Aug 15, 2018

I am sorry to hear about your husband.

It depends how the equipment was titled. Are they in his name alone? If so, you are not responsible for the debt -- but the equipment company can almost surely come repossession the equipment for nonpayment of the debt, so consider that consequence...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: Is the case over or do I still need to do something?

Judgement was won against me in magistrate court after debt collector lied to me.I appealed to common pleas court,since they cannot garnish my social security.They never responded to the appeal.Will it still go to trial or will Judgement go in my favor?

Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on Jul 31, 2018

Call the Prothonotary of your county's Court of Common Pleas and ask them where the case is procedurally. Every county does it a little bit differently, so go straight to the source and find out.

Best of luck to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: Student Loan Question

My wife had a student loan through HSBC, cosigned by her grandmother (now deceased). At some point this loan was sold to a lawyers office. Said lawyers office claims that HSBC owns the loan and HSBC claims the lawyers do. Are we legally liable for this debt since we don't know who owns it?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 25, 2018

Your wife is obligated to the holder in due course of the note. You want to make sure you keep a log with date, time, identity of the person you speak with, and generally conduct things via snail mail. Yes hard copy and stamps. You save a copy of everything you get.

You get something from...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: Car was repossessed less than 30 days ago and the towing co wants 125.00 to retrieve my personal property. Is this lega?
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 24, 2018

If you didn't authorize the tow, they can't keep your property. File a complaint with the Department of Transportation and notify whoever hired them that if they don't return your possessions you will file a complaint with the attorney generals office.

2 Answers | Asked in Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: can a joint spousal checking account in PA be frozen if only one person owes the debt?
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on Jul 17, 2018

It really shouldn't be. Property owned by a husband and wife is a special kind of ownership in Pennsylvania known as a tenancy-by-the-entireties. This includes money held in a joint checking account in the names of both husband and wife. A creditor of just one spouse cannot seize property... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Products Liability and Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: I bought a car at a buy here pay here, i can't afford it anymore am I responsible for the loan on a voluntary repo?

It's not being reported to any of the credit bureaus. I should also mention its not Bank financed but financed by the owner

Elizabeth Tarasi
Elizabeth Tarasi answered on Jun 20, 2018

Yes. They generally reposes the car, sell it at an auction and get what they can for the car and hold you responsible to pay the difference.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: If the original lender of a private student loan forgives it and it is sent collections, can you discharge in bankruptcy

They original lender of my private student loans wrote them off and sent them to collections. I checked my credit score on Credit Krama and it listed other federal and private student loan debt but the others where under collections by national collegiate student loan trust. I am on disability and... Read more »

Cristina M. Lipan
Cristina M. Lipan answered on Jun 15, 2018

The private student loan may be dischargeable under hardship if you have been found disabled by social security. You will need an attorney for that.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Foreclosure and Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: out of work, am I eligible to file for chapter 13? I was told No is that correct? Ive been sick but can work

Been out of work since 9/17, foreclosure has started. I called laurel legal services for free help but was told I'm not eligible since I'm out of work. Can't they work out terms while you find work or get disability? I am so afraid I don't know what to do and I have no money at... Read more »

Stuart Nachbar
Stuart Nachbar answered on May 23, 2018

To qualify for a chapter 13, pursuant to the statute, you must have regular income. It is a requirement of a chapter 13 that you have a regular steady income.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: We received a bad check. Can we reference filing criminal charges in the demand letter?

The issuer has made repeated promises to pay (verbally and via text) but has an excuse every time. Today we are scheduled to meet her to be paid in cash. It is likely she will, again, not show. It is our belief that the issuer knew the check was not covered at the time of issuance. Can we... Read more »

Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on May 10, 2018

If you truly intend to turn the matter over to the police, then communicating that fact to the debtor shouldn't be a violation of the FDCPA. Telling her that she'll be imprisoned and her assets seized if she doesn't pay? *That* would be a violation.

Best of luck to you, and...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.