Washington Legal Malpractice Questions & Answers

Q: How do I track down the attorney that settled my suit out of court?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Legal Malpractice and Medical Malpractice for Washington on
Answered on Feb 22, 2019
Timur Akpinar's answer
As a starting point, one option could be to contact Washington Courts (https://www.courts.wa.gov/) and ask them about any case information they might maintain. There are a number of legal tools for searching state and federal databases (some of these charge fees for their use); these might be useful as well. If the matter was in suit (with an index no.), that could make the chances of finding it more likely.

Tim Akpinar

Q: What would be my next step after a judge refused to properly inform me of all the elements in my charge?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Legal Malpractice for Washington on
Answered on May 16, 2018
Jennifer Melissa Azure's answer
Understanding you do not wish to have an attorney represent you, based upon your question I would recommend your next step be to speak with an attorney to explain the process. The Court has not charged you with a crime, the prosecution has.

The Court is required to advise defendants of their rights at arraignment, ensure that the true name and date of birth are provided and go through the elements of the crime - which usually will name either the City or the County and in the State...

Q: Is there any experienced LTD attorneys in Spokane, wa?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Workers' Compensation, Insurance Bad Faith and Legal Malpractice for Washington on
Answered on Apr 14, 2017
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Look for an attorney who handles ERISA claims--strt with the State of Washington Assn for Justice--they give free consults. However, 15 years is in most cases way too late for a case like yours.

Q: I was told that ethics complaints with Bar association rarely work, what can I do so my concerns are really heard?

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Washington on
Answered on Mar 4, 2017
Brian Lehman's answer
In my experience, the reason why ethics complaints often do not result in a negative result is that the person filing it does not fully understand the jurisdiction of the bar association or the rules that apply to the alleged facts of the situation.

With that said, former hearing officers or lawyers who were on the Board can be a good resource as can running the facts by an attorney who can give you a neutral opinion.

Q: Have make payment on the 1st . It falls on the weekend they're closed next Day now want to charge me interest ,legal?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation, Collections and Legal Malpractice for Washington on
Answered on Jan 6, 2017
Jeffrey Michael Haber's answer
As a general matter, due dates that fall on a weekend or holiday get pushed to the next business day. However, there is not enough information to know whether this applies to your situation. Your summary does not explain the context in which the money is owed, and whether there is an agreement that sets forth the terms of payment.

Q: What is the statute of, definition of and other limitations around legal malpractice in WA State?

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Washington on
Answered on Sep 13, 2016
Marjorie Simmons' answer
There is no statute of limitation on legal malpractice. The definition can depend upon the specific facts and circumstances of your case, but there are things you can expect from your lawyer, at minimum, like working within the confines of the legal ethics rules. See the section on what to expect from your lawyer in the pamphlet at http://www.wsba.org/~/media/Files/News_Events/Publications/Consumer%20Info%20Pamphlets/Consulting%20a%20Lawyer%200211.ashx, and call the Washington State Bar...

Q: A caregiver arranged for an attorney to be in the house, my mom Could not of made this request.

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Washington on
Answered on Aug 30, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Suggest you speak first with an elder law atttorney as they can sort out some of the issues that underlay what happened.

The attorney who came should not have changed the will unless your mom was competent and asked him. That sounds like it could be borderline to wrong. Unfortunately you don't get recovery for APS going a bit over as I see it.But start with an elder law attorney. They should be board certified in Elder Law. You will have to pay them by the hour. So write out what...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.