COVID-19 Child Support Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

US Territories

  • Puerto Rico

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Child Support Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for New York on
Q: I was told I voluntarily left a higher paying job, for a lower paying one to avoid higher support.

I left this higher paying job due to the stress levels and hardships of being understaffed and working mandatory overtime. This job was a new experience to me. I held on for 2 years, until COVID hit, we lost many workers, but kept the same workload. I was approved of a promotion that I didn’t... Read more »

Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel answered on Jul 17, 2021

You can not voluntarily leave a higher paying job, for a lower paying job and expect a decrease in child support. Your income will be imputed based on your capability to earn, not your current earning. That is the law.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Michigan on
Q: In Michigan, Does child support start at birth, or when paternity is established, or when the paperwork gets filed?

I am Canadian, my son's father is American. Support is being handled in Michigan, and custody in Ontario. Friend of the court said it's only valid from the time filed. So essentially, he's absolved of his parental responsibilities for the first 12 months of his life? When the... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jul 12, 2021

Support would go back to when the action is filed; birth expenses - if the state paid for it, are separate and in addition to support.

The family courts mostly continued through COVID. Even if your particular court could not conduct a hearing - most made the transition to ZOOM hearings...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for New York on
Q: My ex wants downward modification on child support- feels too much is being taken from his unemployment benefit.

My ex and I have been going back and forth to court in NYS for over 8 years. Last year, a magistrate ordered a 750$ monthly obligation and awarded me 14K in arrears due to non-payment. My ex was found in violation for chronic non-payment of a previous support order, and I was also issued a 5K money... Read more »

Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich answered on Jun 1, 2021

That he feels that $800 a moth is too much is not a basis for a modification. Additionally, you can point out that at least part of that is payments for arrears and that cannot be changed.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for New Jersey on
Q: In the state of New Jersey I pay child support but can’t offord it

I can offord the payment but I send something every week and I don’t have a job cause of covid but I do pay money to child support every week I have court soon and I’m not sure why

Teresa L. Reichek
Teresa L. Reichek answered on Apr 23, 2021

Thank you for your question. The court calculates child support based on a number of factors. To have that amount adjusted you need to prove a permanent change in circumstances. Unemployment is generally not considered permanent. You are likely being summoned to a court appearance for an... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Georgia on
Q: I am Pro Se and would like a continuance to withdrawal from the final hearing via zoom. I want an in-person hearing.

How do I make this request being Pro Se?

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Mar 17, 2021

This may not be possible. Zoom hearings are standard because of the pandemic. Judges are required to hold via zoom absent an emergency.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Civil Litigation for Georgia on
Q: Who gets the benefits for Covid relief and dependent tax credit due to custody change in year 2020. See more details!

My ex ended up claiming the kids on taxes and received all the COVID relief money 1st, 2nd, and it looks like the 3rd. Below is the history and im looking for who is the rightful owner of this. Also Ive tried discussing it with the other party several times and the reply i get is "not up for... Read more »

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Mar 8, 2021

If you have primary custody, you can claim the children as dependents. You can't do anything about the COVID relief money. If your ex owes you child support since September, you can file a contempt for that.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for North Carolina on
Q: My Wife's family all have COVID. She wants to bring our 1 yr old to their home for a full week. Do I have legal options?

My soon to be ex wife is taking my son out of state to her parents home where at least 4 people have COVID. Are there any legal routes I can follow if my soon contracts COVID while there?

Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow answered on Mar 5, 2021

If you don't have an existing custody case, I would consider filing one ASAP. If you have an existing case, you may want to file a Motion for Emergency Custody before she leaves alleging that the child will be exposed to a substantial risk of bodily injury. Some judges may agree that such a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Alabama on
Q: Im 5k behind on child support since covid hit. I'm wondering what I should do & will I be going to jail for this?
Shane Michael Oncale
Shane Michael Oncale answered on Feb 13, 2021

You should immediately consult an attorney or file yourself to have your child support payments suspended or at least reduced. One of the big secrets of child support that they should make you aware of when you are first ordered to pay but don't is that if something happens in your life that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Missouri on
Q: State of Missouri. I called child support to get mom to pay child support. They said they cant do anything due to covid

Is this true?

Caroline Bundy
Caroline Bundy answered on Feb 11, 2021

It depends on who you called. Is there a current income withholding order in place? I would reach out to DFS to see if they can help. Otherwise, I'd recommend seeking legal counsel from a family law attorney.

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas on
Q: My son has 2 boys 9 and 10 years old. He and the mother were together for 4 years. He paid everything including ins.

insurance and her mothers rent and taxes. They split and she only allowed him 1 hour on Sunday to see them and only what she said they can do. Now its at 2 hours but he has not seen them in 10 months. He try to call them at the assigned time she gave them but has instructed boys they dont have to... Read more »

Sharita Blacknall
Sharita Blacknall answered on Feb 10, 2021

Your son needs to hire an attorney to file a suit affecting the parent-child relationship. This will give him an enforceable order regarding visitation and child support. If the mother does not follow the court's order the Judge has the option to give your son extra visitation days to make up... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Florida on
Q: Does he not owe child support due to COVID lockdowns and terms of the child support agreement?

Ex-spouse & I signed a mediation agreement early 2020, just before legally mandated lockdowns. in lieu of paying to court, ex agreed to pay equivalent amount of per guidelines child support by paying child's insurance coverage (pretax from paycheck) & day/aftercare. Shortly after... Read more »

Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber answered on Jan 19, 2021

You need to read your agreement carefully. He is not "off the hook." However, if the agreement says he pays the daycare directly and the daycare closed then he can argue that he does not have to pay. You may need to go back to court for clarification or enforcement. What he did or is... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for New York on
Q: Can the ex husband file a motion to reduce the child support amount in NJ where he lives and the children lives in NY ?

He moved to NJ in aug 2020 and changed his work using the COVID-19 situation and did not pay the support for 7months now.

The divorce decree was from NY .

Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel answered on Jan 19, 2021

Under the Uniform Child Support Enforcement Jurisdiction Act, the state where the children have resided for the previous 6 months has Jurisdiction over the case. You can ask the court to dismiss for lack.of Jurisdiction. If he has not paid you can file a violation petition in NY against him.

2 Answers | Asked in Child Support for Kentucky on
Q: Can my ex wife making me pay her lawyer over a motion on modification of Child support.

My ex wife and I have been divorced 2013 now our oldest Son is 19 will be out of school in May. My ex wife is trying to get me to keep paying for child support on him and try to say he’s Whole dependent. He has autism is very high functioning. Last year I found out he was not attending aftercare... Read more »

Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker answered on Jan 4, 2021

She can request attorney’s fees and costs and the court can awasrd them. However such requests and orders are usually based on malfeasance by one party or the other. Income disparity can be a factor,

Child supoort can be awarded for a child beyond emancipation, but the standard is very...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Texas on
Q: My step daughter’s mother tested positive for covid. If the child is negative does she have to stay with her?

My step daughters mother and her boyfriend tested positive for COVID. My stepdaughter who lives with them majority of the time tested negative in which my husband and I suggested she not stay with her mother if she is negative. But her mom refuses and says she will quarantine with her. She... Read more »

John J. Pfister Jr.
John J. Pfister Jr. answered on Jan 1, 2021

This is a unique problem related to the COVID situation. The Texas Supreme Court has issued a general order that parents are to follow the underlying order regardless of lockdowns and school closures. If a parent wants to deviate from the current order - for any reason including a positive COVID... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Florida on
Q: My sons father is supposed to pay child support, hes running a non profit organization with about 12 people and works.

He is telling child support that he cant work because of the pandemic and so they reinstated his license. But goes on vacations and leaves the state often. How can I get my child support if he is able to work.

Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara answered on Dec 31, 2020

You have to be able to prove that he is working, or that he is spending money on vacations and trips so that the court can calculate the income he has based on the amounts of money he is spending. If you are only having hearings in child support enforcement court, you must remember that the... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Child Support for New Jersey on
Q: What are the penalties for custodial child support fraud? Submitting an exhibit for work related child care expenses?

Never sending child to day care while non custodial parent has to pay 50% of cost through child support?

Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond answered on Dec 30, 2020

I gather your former spouse filed an application with the court claiming that she had a child care expense of XX per month and asked that in the child support guidelines analysis used by the court, that it include an obligation for you to pay your share of that child care cost and now you have... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Missouri on
Q: Does RECEIVED child support affect PAID child support?

I want to preface this with the fact I’m in the state of Missouri. I filed for child support through the state to my sons father. He put on his form14 that his income is $1100/month (Unemployment- he’s laid off cause of Covid) & left out the $1,700 a month in child support he receives for... Read more »

Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker answered on Dec 8, 2020

Receipt of child support is not considered income to the party receiving it. That money is the contribution of the other parent toward the support of the other parents’ children. In fact, he gets a credit for the 3 other children in his household for his financial support for the children in his... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Child Support for New Jersey on
Q: I am unemployed , lost income due to Covid-19. I have tried paying child support best I can but I no longer able. Help

I need help to submit a modification request in New New Jersey. I live out of state. My kids are both In college and not at home. I was hoping the situation and pandemic would turn around for I have no ability to maintain those payments.

Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker answered on Dec 3, 2020

I recommend you go to the child support services office of the state whee the children live and open a case to request modification of your child support. Most agencies have online/telephonic services to some extent that can assist you with application process. Your biggest challenge will the... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Nevada on
Q: Ok kids resident state is nevada Temp custody inndomestic case was filed And no new custody order has been filed sense

And no new custody order has been filed sense so as I understand those temporary custody orders have rained in effectSo now I have allowed the kids to go to visitation for part of the summer and I let them stay for an extended due to the Covid and now a lawsuit is being filed against me by child... Read more »

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Dec 2, 2020

It is best to respond to the child support lawsuit with a request that child custody also be reevaluated. If child support is awarded, it will be based on how the child custody is arranged. Both the child custody and child support cases should be held in the state where the children have resided... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for North Carolina on
Q: Can the custodial parent take away visitation if you’re behind on child support?

Income decreased due to covid. Still paying monthly but struggling to pay the full amount. Need my income legally re evaluated. But she won’t let me see my child.

Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow answered on Dec 1, 2020

No, visitation and the payment of child support are completely independent of one another. Failure to pay support is not a valid reason to withhold visitation. If visitation is being denied, you may have to file a motion for contempt for her violation of the custody order.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.