Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Alabama Libel & Slander Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Alabama on
Q: Are attorneys hands tied as far as filing lawsuits for incidents that happened during the pandemic if it was negligence?

I was in a medically induced coma because of Covid 19 and I came out of the coma. I fell from the bed on the floor and my heart stopped and they brought me back several times & I sustained a hypoxic brain injury. & was reintubated. I have my official medical records and I signed a contract... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 14, 2023

An Alabama attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Don't lose further time awaiting a reply here. This isn't an attorney referral service, so there's no point awaiting a reply regarding possible representation. With a looming statute of limitations,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Alabama on
Q: What can be done about a liable or slanderous statement involving a crime and the welfare of children?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Apr 4, 2021

An Alabama attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. You could reach out to attorneys in your area who handle defamation cases. As a GENERAL matter, these types of cases are not usually handled on a contingency basis like a car accident - which means that regardless of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Child Support for Alabama on
Q: I got a 15 ur old son that has had things put in his head an now for exactly what reason he never wants to see me again

So I am wondering since that’s his choice can I do anything where child support will be dropped . Why should i pay child support on a son I did no wrong to an refused to talk or see me

Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones
answered on May 16, 2020

Hello. No, there is nothing you can do to stop support based on what you have said. That being said, your son does not get to make this decision until he is 19. You do have a right to see him and you can enforce that right through the court system. Thank you for the question.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Libel & Slander for Alabama on
Q: My dog got ran over.Lady came back an hour later wanting reimbursement for car damage.Cant find my dog.What can I do?

The lady lives at the end of my road. Every time she comes by she is speeding way over the 25mh speed limit. I still haven't found my dog to know if hes hurt or dead. This lady came back am hour after running my dog over wanting money. I think if my dog is hurt or dead she should pay me for... Read more »

Jeremy Cohen
Jeremy Cohen
answered on Feb 5, 2018


Helpful information can be found on the county website, division of animal control. The website states: Animals are not permitted to run at large in Marshall County pursuant to state law. (Code of Alabama, Section 3-1-5).

They also may be able to assist you in locating your...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Landlord - Tenant and Libel & Slander for Alabama on
Q: I'm renting a home on a month to month leases. I have rented property 3 months, & rent & water was drafted each week.

The Landlord sold property out from under me,&had said that I could buy the property & home ,having first choice of buying. The Landlord has made things inhabitable&unsanitary by cutting off the water. I dont know if property has sold or not, because Landlord has lied & mislead me... Read more »

Samuel G McKerall
Samuel G McKerall
answered on Dec 11, 2017

The standard drill would be for me to tell you to hire a lawyer but I can tell you can't afford one. We do have legal aid in some counties in Alabama, but with your response due tomorrow (well, today, now - Tuesday) you don't have time to go to them to see if you qualify.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law, Libel & Slander and Small Claims for Alabama on
Q: I am a server in a restaurant. A customer accused me of adding a $4.tip. Customer nor restaurant have receipts.

What should i do to protect myself?

Samuel G McKerall
Samuel G McKerall
answered on Apr 15, 2017

Nothing. Nothing means NOTHING. Don't talk to law enforcement about it. Don't talk to your employer about it. If either of them want to discuss it with you, politely reply that you will be happy to discuss it with them IF, and only if, your lawyer can be present, Then go hire a layer... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Libel & Slander for Alabama on
Q: What can be done about a crowdfunding campaign that is making false statements about my husband to receive money?

My husband was in a lengthy custody battle which was resolved August 2015. His daughter's birth mother has now opened a campaign on a crowdfunding site making false accusations and statements about my husband in order to get donations for her to hire a lawyer. We have legal documents and... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Jul 8, 2016

Further to my answer to your other post, your husbands attorney could write to the crowdfunding site suggesting that they are abetting a libel, why that is so, which they may want to know as crowdfunders try to avoid being dragged into being part of a misrepresentation.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Family Law and Child Custody for Alabama on
Q: What to do about a crowdfunding page committing libel against you and making false accusations to obtain donations?

My husband recently went through a lengthy custody battle which was resolved August 2015 where court granted him full legal and physical custody of his daughter. Recently, the birth mother started a crowd funding campaign to raise money to fight for custody. However, she is making false accusations... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Jul 8, 2016

He should discuss this with the custody attorney. The court may be able to issue an order that she fight her issues in Court, not make unprovable allegations outside.

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law, Personal Injury and Libel & Slander for Alabama on
Q: For my job I sent someone a letter via mail. He posted it on Facebook but changed his name on it to "Corn Man."

He also removed the street number of his address and removed my last name of my signature. Then in the actual post he addressed me by my last name. Is this legal?

Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
answered on Apr 21, 2016

Could be copyright infringement, but since it was your letter, hard to claim defamation since the truth is an absolute defense.

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Personal Injury and Libel & Slander for Alabama on
Q: My soon to be ex wife came home drunk from work. She verbally and physically abused me. I videod the entire incident

I filed a police report and she has been charged with domestic assault. The same night she kicked my 2 girls, ages 19 months and 5 years old out of the house with nowhere to go. I had to miss work for 4 days because she changed the locks and would not let us get any clothes, personal effects,... Read more »

Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
answered on Feb 14, 2016

The short answer is maybe, but the wise answer is that it is not worth the trouble. You have got to get into Court with all of this and get custody of the children (I am assuming the children are not yours alone, but yours and hers) If you had gotten into Court immediately on this you would be in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Alabama on
Q: How do I prove a person is slandering me?
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
answered on May 24, 2015

You prove it with evidence, testimony in court. You don't give any facts here, so I can't tell if you are talking about defamation through a spoken word only (common law slander), or through some writing (common law libel). If you are using the terms precisely, then you would have to be... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.