Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arkansas Education Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Education Law and Employment Law for Arkansas on
Q: Can a school district prevent you from teaching for the next school year if you request release from your contract?

I had signed my contract in May after the district said they would take it as a resignation for anyone that did not turn in a signed contract by the end of May 2021. I have kids to support so out of fear of unemployment I signed the contract. There were teachers resigning left and right. The... Read more »

Chris W. Burks
Chris W. Burks answered on Sep 20, 2021

Thanks and you should speak to an Arkansas employment and education law attorney. The Arkansas Teacher Fair Dismissal Act does provide some protections to teachers, and many districts will release teachers from their contracts under circumstances similar to the ones you identified. By working... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Criminal Law and Education Law for Arkansas on
Q: Why was I sited for violating a no contact order when I was welcomed back into the supposed victims household?

I stayed with the supposed victim for an extended period of time before openly admitting to law enforcement over phone contact of my welcomed return which was also my home,as I was the son and primary care provider to my mother in said household. Also, my mother is in irreversible dimentia. My... Read more »

Taylor Douglas Martin
Taylor Douglas Martin answered on May 20, 2021

Regardless if the contact is welcomed or not, a no contact order is a court order forbidding one to contact a certain person. Typically, a Judge views contact as contact regardless of the circumstances. However, a capable defense attorney should be able to bring the circumstances to the attention... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Arkansas on
Q: If a president called meeting is to take place, how much notice is required to be given to the public?

Russellville School District has made a habit recently of calling special meetings and not notifying the public until a few hours before the meeting. Today we had 4 1/2 hours notice for example.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 29, 2020

An Arkansas attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for five weeks. As a general matter, it's possible such a detail might not be addressed in many school policies or school district policies. You could check those policies, and another reference might be city council members or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Rights, Education Law and Elder Law for Arkansas on
Q: How should I find lawyer for - graduate student in good standing but claiming discrimination - against a university?

Looking for area of law that covers this. Perhaps Education or Consumer Law (?) - covering Title IX and/or VI violations.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 17, 2020

An Arkansas attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. There are attorneys who handle cases under those titles - you could start by reaching out to them. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Family Law, Personal Injury and Education Law for Arkansas on
Q: I've looked everywhere just to find if its legal or illegal to have a polyamous marriage in Arkansas?

2 woman and 1 man that love each other so much

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 22, 2020

Polygamy is generally regarded as a crime. This is something a criminal attorney would understand the significance of more so than attorneys in the categories chosen above.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Health Care Law for Arkansas on
Q: Im a school nurse being wrongfully accused & terminated. Would be better to get employment or nursing/health lawyer?

I am being wrongfully accused of something with little to no investigation into the event, the school is just believing what a parent is claiming and going off of that w/o my side of it. They consulted w/ their lawyer who determined that I was a liability so they are recommending termination.... Read more »

Greg Mansell
Greg Mansell answered on Nov 6, 2019

It would be best to get an employment lawyer that has experience in administrative hearings, board appeals, and hearings before the nurses' board.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Education Law and Family Law for Arkansas on
Q: Does a noncustodial parent where no court order of custody is present have the right to request school records?
Dustin A. Duke
Dustin A. Duke answered on Oct 22, 2019

The question is a little confusing, but I am assuming that since there is no court order and you refer to a non-custodial parent, that the parents were never married. In Arkansas, the mother of a child born outside of wedlock automatically has custody of him or her. The father has to establish... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law and Education Law for Arkansas on
Q: Do I have enough for a civil suit?

My son took mega death hot sauce to school and got suspended for 3 days for subversion because other teenagers tried it and got sick. I asked for the item back and the school said it was confiscated and used a police officer to stop me from taking it. My son did bring the hot sauce but did not... Read more »

W. Whitfield Hyman
W. Whitfield Hyman answered on Nov 6, 2017

They have to intend to permanently deprive you of the hot sauce in order to violate your property rights.

I have no idea if they can suspend over hot sauce or not, but it sounds ridiculous.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Education Law for Arkansas on
Q: Do the parents of a minor need be present if minor gives a verbal/written statement to school & local police officers
Kevin Shields
Kevin Shields answered on Mar 30, 2017

You should consult an education or criminal lawyer to discuss the specific details of your case. The answer to your question will depend on who did the questioning, how the questioning was conducted, whether the minor was in custody and the minor's mental capacity. The safeguards in place for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Arkansas on
Q: Do the parents of the minor have to be present when the minor makes a verbal /written statement to school & local police
Kevin Shields
Kevin Shields answered on Apr 6, 2017

Parents need not be present while school officials are asking questions of a student in most cases. However, if the questioning was by the police or your child was in police custody, constitutional protections may be triggered. You may want to consult a local criminal lawyer about the specific... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.