Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Iowa Criminal Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Iowa on
Q: Is it legal to dismiss probation with a discharge date 10/22 then impose a sentence of 365 days in jail. Simple misdeme

If you have been on probation and just didn't comply but have not got any new charges and your due to discharge on 10/22 been on it for almost 2 years. Can a judge legally revoke the probation and impose a jail term of 365 in county jail putting you over that 2 year guide line for a simple... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Iowa on
Q: I feel I wasn’t treated fairly in my hearing what can I do
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on May 11, 2022

Appeal or ask for a rehearing.

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Iowa on
Q: Judge revoked probation in place of it gives a year to due in jail . Discharge date is in Oct. But release date is Jan.

No new charges just didn't follow through with probation but original discharge date of sentence is in October. Is it legal to dismiss probation and impose another sentence.? And also the incarcerated individual suffers from schizoaffective bipolar paranoid personality disorder anxiety... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Iowa on
Q: Is it legal to have someone listed on warrant that don't reside there

What is considered harassment by police officer

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Iowa on
Q: If you refuse to cooperate in giving names to police can they charge you after the fact?

A friend was pulled over and gave consent to search. A small bag of marijuana was confiscated. A detective called the next day and said if he doesn’t give up names he will be arrested. Is that legal? They didn’t even weigh the bag on site

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Iowa on
Q: I was riding In car with 2 friends and the cops found 260 gr of meth that was the driver's of the car they charged consp

The driver of the car who the meth belonged to won't say its his

Richard W. Noel
Richard W. Noel answered on Feb 6, 2022

That's called constructive possession. Speak with your attorney about it and see what if any defenses you might have.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Iowa on
Q: Once a judge accepts a plea with a certain sentence can the judge change that sentence

The plea was for unsupervised probation, and after the judge accepted the plea changed it to supervised probation, can they do that?

Katherine Sears
Katherine Sears answered on Feb 4, 2022

In Iowa, where this question appears to have been asked, the judge generally retains the latitude to accept a plea while rejecting a plea offer and imposing any legal sentence. Yes, that would include changing unsupervised probation to supervised probation. If you have questions about this, you... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Iowa on
Q: Hello. If someone can get this message. Can you tell me if possible to get a pro bonus lawyer to represent someone

Thank you

Katherine Sears
Katherine Sears answered on Apr 28, 2021

It is possible (but unlikely) that an attorney will offer pro bono representation in the sort of case you're describing.  You are always free to call around and ask, but bear in mind that you are essentially asking someone to pay to work for you. Time that lawyers spend working pro bono is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Iowa on
Q: If I were to attempt suicide while pregnant in the state of Iowa would I get in trouble
Katherine Sears
Katherine Sears answered on Apr 21, 2021

If you attempted suicide and *succeeded,* you would be dead. Can't really get in trouble if you're dead, right?

That you're asking this question therefore suggests that you're considering "attempting" suicide *without* succeeding. (I'd call that more of...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Iowa on
Q: Daughter was arrested, she had phone ON HER. When released they kept her phone and her driver's license. No warrant

Arrested for possession. She was living with someone and the police searched his house and founds drugs. He admitted they were his. My daughter was arrested as she was walking down the street. She wasn't marandarized, she asked if she could bond out they said no, wasn't given her phone... Read more »

Katherine Sears
Katherine Sears answered on Apr 21, 2021

Your daughter needs an attorney. If she is an adult, she should not give you more information about what happened. She should not discuss the situation with anyone other than her attorney. She will have attorney-client privilege with her lawyer. She does not have that privilege with you.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Sexual Harassment for Iowa on
Q: If I'm 18 & this has happened to me, can I still take them to court?

If one was sexually assaulted by someone who is not blood related but related by marriage and the victim is now 18, can the victim still take their abuser to court?

Katherine Sears
Katherine Sears answered on Apr 21, 2021

If the victim was under the age of 18 at the time of the offense, the State can prosecute for sexual abuse in the first, second, or third degree within 10 years of the person turning 18. See Iowa Code Section 802.2(1).

The victim should report what happened ASAP. Waiting makes evidence...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Iowa on
Q: Is it ok for a court appointed attorney to Bill you for trial research and then 2 days before trial urge you to plea

The reasons based on the plea are nothing the lawyer didn’t know from the beginning and the attorney billed me for every hour of research despite my financial affidavit declaring me indigent

Katherine Sears
Katherine Sears answered on Oct 21, 2020

Of course.

Your indigency has nothing to do with whether your court-appointed lawyer will bill for their time. Court-appointed lawyers are not working pro bono. They bill for and expect to be paid for their time.

Your attorney is professionally responsible for doing case research...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Iowa on
Q: I got a citation in Iowa for not stopping and yielding to the right of way

And my vechile had no AC and I left from a different state from a Abusive spouse and dealing with a divorce and with me driving trying to figure out we’re to go I see a stop sign brake and my brakes squeak and I drift into the right of way car and he hits me totaled my vechile and I feel I was... Read more »

Benjamin Kohn
Benjamin Kohn answered on Jul 11, 2020

It sounds like you have at least three issues: (1) civil fault for the accident; and (2) the two simple misdemeanor traffic charges for disobeying the stop sign and for failing to yield; and (3) being a victim of domestic abuse.

While I can't provide legal advice based on such an...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Iowa on
Q: how long after my promise to appear is my tral?

my charges are all drug related misdemeanors and i have no record.

Benjamin Kohn
Benjamin Kohn answered on Jul 11, 2020

Although you have a right to a speedy trial (though even what that's been held to constitute is going to be different due to Covid, as is when a trial can be scheduled), which in ordinary times without a pandemic would require extremely good cause to be longer than a set number of days... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Iowa on
Q: On May 25, 2018 someone opened a car door into my daughter's lane of traffic causing her to hit the door resulting death

Is it too late to proceed in a criminal case against the person that opened the door

Stephen Douglas Lombardi
Stephen Douglas Lombardi answered on Jun 1, 2020

There is no way to answer your question. Only prosecutors have the power/authority to file criminal charges. You can file a report with the police, but only a prosecutor has the discretion to bring charges.

Has an estate been opened? The estate has the right to bring the action.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Iowa on
Q: can you be charged with anything if you ask someone you ask to come to see you get in an accident

if you asked someone to come and see you and they refuse to let you pick them up and instead they take public transportation and then get into an accident are you responsible to help pay the medical bills and if you don't can they charge you with anything?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 29, 2020

An Iowa attorney could answer your question best, but your post remains open for two weeks. As a general matter, it seems unlikely that criminal charges would stem from such a scenario, unless there are factors not mentioned, such as allowing a small child to fend for themselves on public... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Domestic Violence and Sexual Harassment for Iowa on
Q: What exactly is slander or deformation of character? Can I be sued if what I'm saying is absolutely true?
William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Oct 14, 2019

It varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and can vary from one situation from another. Simply put it is a false statement that hurts a person's reputation. You are allowed to express an opinion and you are allowed to state facts - everything else is a grey area. Yes, you can be sued even if... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Iowa on
Q: charged with a felony but the day before i plead guilty, the law changed reducing the amount to an aggravated misdeamer.

I was charged with theft 2nd, a class D felony in December 2018. I plead guilty on July 2nd, 2019. I later found out that on July 1st (1 day prior to my guilty plea, the law lowered the amount making it now an aggravated misdemeanor. I found this out after the psi report was completed. apparently,... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Sep 29, 2019

Then spend the money and hire a private lawyer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.