Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Iowa Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Iowa on
Q: if parents are not married at the time of birth for the child and the father is not on the birth certificate for divorce

my sister is wondering if parents are not married at the time of birth for the child and the father is not on the birth certificate, does she have to include her child in the actual divorce since they were not married and her husband isnt on the birth certificate. this is her first marriage.

0 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized for Iowa on
Q: My son is 16(17 in January) can he drop out of school legally with permission from parents?

My son had a previous dhs case for runaway at 15 and dhs was involved but case has been closed. They got him to go back to school but it's been so hard getting him to go. He wants to quit and take classes and get a full time job. Can he legally quit school in Iowa at 16? Without the parent... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation and Communications Law for Iowa on
Q: I bid on an item online,was awarded the bid and sent an invoice. I’m due to pick the item up today.

I’m being told 3 days later the online bidding had server issues and I was outbid. What’s my recourse.

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Iowa on
Q: What do I do if i receive a note on my door that home is vacant or abandoned and locks are going to be changed ?

I plan on mowing and doing necessary yard work that needs done. Can they change my locks if i am occupying the property. I am in the process of foreclosure but am going to stop it by paying off all mortgage that I owe.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Iowa on
Q: Regarding h1 b 60 day frace period

My current H1B validity period: 03/2021-03/2024, but my last day for the job is 08/15/2021

I got a new job. The new employer wants to file an H1B transfer petition before 10/15/2021 (within the 60 day grace period) but the start date mentioned in the offer letter is 11/01/2021.

If... Read more »

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Sep 16, 2021

Each H1b case must have an assigned counsel at no charge retained by the YS sponsoring company, if it is a genuinely credible petition.?

0 Answers | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Iowa on
Q: How do I get temporary custody when the other parent is unfit?

My ex wife is unfit and has severe mental and alcohol issues. I called DHS and they said there wasn’t imminent danger and it was a custody issue. My ex wife’s parents are even afraid to leave the kids alone with her.

0 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Iowa on
Q: I am looking for some guidance relating to a "failure to obey traffic control device" ticket

I am looking for some guidance relating to a "failure to obey traffic control device" ticket I received tonight, I was leaving from the store and came to the stoplight and came to a complete stop and looked to my left and saw a vehicle that was slowing down. So I thought that the light... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Tax Law and Employment Discrimination for Iowa on
Q: What can I do about pervious employer ways of paying and hiring his workers.

OK so the restaurant I was working for the owner is a piece of work. I was let go because I took some time off. I place of residence was based on where I worked so I lost my home as well as my job. 3 months later my sister spoke with the owner while have lunch at the restaurant and asked if he... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized for Iowa on
Q: My apartment complex manager has threatened to tow my vehicle which is not parked illegally but isn't registered

My vehicle isn't registered because the person I bought it from never had the title transferred to them. I have title but can mo longer get ahold of person so we could proceed to have it transferred to his name and then over to me. From what I have found is he basically did something called... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Iowa on
Q: Can a mobile home park landlord give someone a one day notice to fix a rule violation

The notice has the date it was served but says they are giving until Tuesday at 8 pm to fix violation no date given for Tuesday

0 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Iowa on
Q: My husband's mother passed away and his sister has taken possession of all her bank accounts,titles,ect.

We have made her mortgage payment and would like to take over payments on the house but we can't seem to get the bank to tell us about her mortgage insurance

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Iowa on
Q: Who do I contact to ask if I'm still a registered felon
0 Answers | Asked in Probate for Iowa on
Q: My dads passed away and had no will. He’s wasn’t married. It’s just my sister and I. House is out of probate.

I’m wanted to know what my rights are. She made herself executor and she went and hired an attorney (her friend). The house got 3 offers before it went into probate and now 4 months later she still wants to go with that highest offer Which I feel is way low. Need to know my rights and my say... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Probate for Iowa on
Q: My father died December of 2020 in Iowa with no will and all possessions were taken by stepmom. Claimed he had nothing!

My dad died in dec 2020 @ 96 yo. He was married to my stepmom fo 30 years. 3 sons living from his marriage to our mother. Never advised of a will and stepmom took everything. We were treated very badly by her. Our father had a truck shed and some vehicles he brought into the marriage. Stepmom had... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Probate for Iowa on
Q: So Jacob is my kids father, I was never sure what they wanted from me and I want to have my kids represented also.

I was married to him for 7 years and I have struggled with accepting reality of him being shot by the police but I was kind of not offered to be involved in his funeral or anything, granted his mother called me the night he was shot while she was going to the hospital then called right back and... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Iowa on
Q: How much do divorce papers cost
0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Iowa on
Q: Will DHS take an one month old baby that was in the room when someone got shot?

My nephew accidentally shot his brother, him, his child, and the mother were all in the room. After the mother hid the guns and wiped the finger prints off. Now DHS has been called. What is the chance the baby will be taken? The dad is in jail the brother shot is expected to live.

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Iowa on
Q: I got on probation in March and now looking at my first violation I was able to turn myself in and bond out.

The county attorney is asking for prison and all I want is jail time and to be let off to move out of Sioux city and start a new life with my boyfriend. The charge is possession of meth less then a gram. I'm actively fighting for social security. Plus Im attending mental health due to... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law for Iowa on
Q: Can I sue an employer for not rehiring me after covid?

My benefits ran out some time ago. It was decided by state UI agency that it was no fault of my own. They ruled my case as a temporary lay off.

My employer was supposed to hire me back upon reopening for business.

They announced on the companies website that they was closed for... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.