Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Nebraska Business Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Nebraska on
Q: How can I recover loss of use for commercial equipment? The other party is liable as it was hit and run.
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Aug 19, 2021

You can pursue the liable party, if they can be found. Another option may be to make a claim on your insurance. You would want to review your insurance policies to see what coverage may be available.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Nebraska on
Q: Can I use the word muggle in my company name? I’m selling chocolates
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Jan 25, 2021

If you hope to benefit off of the potential intellectual property of another, you may be opening the door to legal action. Whereas using the name "Southwest" when referring to a chocolate company might not give you an issue, referring to a new airline and using the term... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Nebraska on
Q: I want to sell private martial art lessons taught by me in my backyard, is there anything legal I have to do for this?

I want to sell a 30 minute class for 10$

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Oct 27, 2020

Your question is very vague. There is probably a lot of things that you need to do to follow the legal requirements. This could include whether operating your business violates any local zoning ordinances against running a business in a residential area. This could include setting up a legal... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Nebraska on
Q: I am a white man from Omaha, who was recently threatened to be killed with a machete or corn knife by a black man.

He lunged at me and started to swing the machete in a menacing manner while saying “I’m going to kill you.” If I understand the NEBRASKA laws correctly this is the crime of a terroristic threat and additionally, very likely a hate crime. What procedure should I follow in regards to this incident?

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Jan 6, 2020

Terrorist threats is a crime. You can call the non-emergency law enforcement phone number and request to make a report. It would then be up to the county attorney whether to file criminal charges based on that report or not.

If you are in fear that this person may come after you, can may...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Business Law and Internet Law for Nebraska on
Q: i have been defrauded by a contractor , how do get him prosecuted, as even when i win in small claims he won't have pay

i have a signed contract to paint my house w/$2850 down in 11/28/18 in 7/29/19 in the witness of a police officer he refused to even"Start"

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Nov 18, 2019

If you have been defrauded by a contractor, you should contact the non-emergency law enforcement phone number and file a police report and/or contact the county attorney's office to report the crime. They will likely want supporting documentation of the fraud, so you will want to provide a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Business Law for Nebraska on
Q: Is it illegal in the state of Nebraska for a hotel to evict a guest from a hotel room if they overstay their reservation

...if they have a valid form of payment even though the room was reserved by someone else for that date several months earlier?

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Aug 21, 2019

A standard hotel doesn't generally need to evict. When the reservation ends, their license to reside in the hotel also ends. How a hotel handles when a person wishes to continue their stay and another person has booked a reservation for the same room isn't likely an eviction question... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Nebraska on
Q: Have there been any cases regarding Neb. Rev. Stat. 60-1406.26?

How has the court applied the phrase "causes the sale of, or offers or attempts to sell new or used motor vehicles?"

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Aug 8, 2019

Nebraska revised statute 60-1406 currently only has 13 subparts (Neb. Rev. Stat. Sect. 60-1406(13) is currently the last subpart. There may have been other sections up to 26 in a previous version of the statute.

In order to find cases that cite a particular statute, there are a number of...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Consumer Law and Lemon Law for Nebraska on
Q: I reside in Nebraska. I bought a car from a buy here pay herr as is no warranty. However, I don't want the car anymore.

I called and ask to speak to finance and the guy that sold me the car said he is finance. I understand that most have in house finance but is it legal to have a different business name associated with the same address as the dealership? They literally claim they are calling the finance company... Read more »

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Jun 10, 2019

It is possible for a parent company to own both a car dealership and a financing company.

Unless the contract has a return policy, you can't generally return a used car after purchasing due to changing mind. If you can reach an agreement with the seller to allow the return, great....
Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Business Law, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Nebraska on
Q: I was an employee on FMLA then in the middle of it the company let me go. I was not let go for my quality of work.

There was three companies involved. All under umbrella of a fortune 500 company. I believed I was wrongfully let go. How long do I have to pursue or file a suit? Is there an attorney that I can speak with over the phone to see if this is worth pursuing?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Nebraska on
Q: How do I apply for a certificate of organization with Nebraska to form a LLC-Limited Liability Company?
Ryan P. Sullivan
Ryan P. Sullivan answered on May 13, 2011

To form an LLC in Nebraska under the New Nebraska Limited Liability Company Act, the company must draft and file with the Secretary of State a Certificate of Organization which must include all of the relevant provisions identified in the Act. The company must then publish notice for four weeks... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.