Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New Mexico Family Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for New Mexico on
Q: How many welfare checks can CYFD conduct on one parent in a year?

how many welfare checks are the CYFD office able to do on a single parent in one year until it becomes harrassment?

0 Answers | Asked in DUI / DWI, Family Law, Personal Injury and Tax Law for New Mexico on
Q: I was at MDC and I w

I've had such a hard time when I stayed at the

n for 11 months total I was not able to have any timeouts except for 30 minu shackled on my hands and my legs I have scars on my legs from it I was also deprived of the sun they didn't let me see the Sun for 11 months when I finally... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for New Mexico on
Q: I'm just looking for my grandfather's date of birth but can't get anywhere. There is no one to ask.

He was xxx xxx xxxx, executed in 1954 at New Mexico State Penitentiary. (State vs. Johnson) 1953

Gary William Boyle
Gary William Boyle answered on Feb 11, 2022

Your grandfather was born on December 27, 1895, in South Bend, Indiana and died February 19, 1954, in Santa Fe. Not really a legal question but we are happy to help.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Federal Crimes for New Mexico on
Q: If a man's wife stabbed him and he didn't want press charges but state did will she go to prison

She was on probation for same thing when this happened

Richard W. Noel
Richard W. Noel answered on Feb 9, 2022

A person may choose not to cooperate with a case once a person is charged with a crime. However, a husband not wanting to press charges doesn't necessarily mean the case goes away. The prosecutor may have enough evidence to proceed without the husband's cooperation. Whether she goes to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New Mexico on
Q: My son was born in new mexico n im from n.m too after he was born my sons mom took off with him to Colorado well 9yrs

Later she moved back to n.m for 8 months n let me n my son build a relationship then she just took off to Colorado out of no where then I filled for custody here in n.m but which state would have jurisdiction Colorado or New mexico

Gary William Boyle
Gary William Boyle answered on Dec 15, 2021

If your son has been back in Colorado for less than 6 months, New Mexico courts will have jurisdiction over the custody issues. If he has lived in Colorado for 6 months or more this time, the Colorado courts will have jurisdiction.

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for New Mexico on
Q: Perhaps I didn't ask the question properly. My niece has a warrant for burglary in New Mexico. She has an 8 yr old girl

She wants to turn herself in with her lawyer but wants me to pick the daughter up before she does that so she's with someone safe. What should I do to make sure I have guardianship of her for school, medical and other things?

Sean Maye
Sean Maye answered on Nov 11, 2020

The answer to this question is one rooted in NM law, unfortunately. As you would be attempting to assume custody of the child in NM, you will need to consult with a lawyer there regarding a possible emergency petition for temporary custody and guardianship. That said, it is highly unlikely that... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for New Mexico on
Q: Child support was modified and agreed upon in court a week ago after 9 years. He is now filing for primary custody.

Should I hire an attorney or respond pro se?

Gary William Boyle
Gary William Boyle answered on Apr 7, 2020

You should probably retain qualified counsel experienced in custody disputes. Any decision the Court makes regarding time sharing at this point may be binding unless there is a material change in circumstances in the future. You will have a much better chance of protecting your child's... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Tax Law, Child Custody and Identity Theft for New Mexico on
Q: my daughter dad took her and I haven't seen or spoken to her in 1 yr 7 months. He is not on the birth certificate
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Feb 4, 2020

I'm sorry to hear about that. You've got a pretty complicated issue you may be better off going directly to an attorney and having a private consult with them. I'm not sure you're going to get useful answers to your situation in a forum such as this.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for New Mexico on
Q: my daughter is nearly 15 and wants to change her last name to her step-fathers. can her father object?

her father and I are amicable but he would never allow it if he can object. but everything i've read says since she's over the age of 14, she can petition the court to change her name. part of it is her relationship with her father, but mostly his last name is weird and pronounced weirdly... Read more »

Don F. Harris
Don F. Harris answered on Jun 6, 2019

The parents of a minor child have to be notified of a name change in New Mexico, and her dad can object. He may not bother, or the judge very well may overrule his objection if the child's reasoning is sound.

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Divorce for New Mexico on
Q: I am married contemplating divorce. What are my rights as far as receiving any pension, social security benefits, etc.

My husband lives and works in Germany where he has been for the last 10+ years. I lived in our home in Austin, Texas up until June 2017 when I moved to Santa Fe. We still own the home in Austin, with tenants. We have one grown child.

We are trying to figure out how best to divide everything.

Gary William Boyle
Gary William Boyle answered on May 22, 2019

The answer to your question will depend on counsel gaining a thorough understanding of all of the complicated facts associated with your situation. There are, however, some general concepts that may be helpful.

1. All of the assets you acquired during the marriage (except those acquired...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for New Mexico on
Q: My question is how do I know my rights as a father after after a leabe of absence leaving the state of nm for over two

My ex-fiance / children's mother and my two boys still reside in santa Fe. I'm in Minnesota now with family however I have to at least try to get my parental rights back. As she was the direct reason I had to leave and same for not returning.? Plz help me make a decision??

Carlos N. Martinez
Carlos N. Martinez answered on Mar 1, 2019

In New Mexico, you are presumed to have joint legal custody rights to your kids unless there is a court order stating otherwise. If there is no case currently pending, then you should file a parentage and custody case immediately to protect your parental rights, and to establish your visitation.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for New Mexico on
Q: I need to respond to a motion to modify custody he's asking for full custody himself I need full custody for me

Supervised visits for him. His partner does not have custody of her son. I have had a restraining order on him.

Carlos N. Martinez
Carlos N. Martinez answered on Mar 1, 2019

First, you should respond to whatever motion he filed against you. Then you should file a motion for custody and request a hearing. When you get your hearing setting, prepare for the hearing by reviewing the state statutes, court procedure and local rules.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for New Mexico on
Q: How do I go about getting full custody for my son but not file for child support?

My side others oldest sons mom has been neglecting their son & pawning him off so he just wants full custody, no child support.

Carlos N. Martinez
Carlos N. Martinez answered on Feb 18, 2019

You would have to petition the court for full custody and request a hearing. New Mexico requires that a child support worksheet be filed with any parenting plan/custody order, however either party may deviate upwards or downwards with respect to what is owed under certain circumstances.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Native American Law for New Mexico on
Q: Acoma Pueblo is a sovereign nation. So cyfd and Acoma Pueblo are Collaborated and cyfd took custody of my children. But

We domicile on the Acoma Pueblo . So who has the jurisdiction of this case? We have went to court adjudicatory hearing and cyfd attorney had to do a continuance on this hearing 3 times already. To my knowledge cyfd should have already transferred or gave the Tribal courts jurisdiction, over my... Read more »

Scott E Beemer
Scott E Beemer answered on Feb 28, 2019


I am sorry to hear of your situation.

Dealing with a State Agency on Tribal Lands can be a complex situation. Today many tribes have entered into Intergovernmental Agreements (IGA) with the Children, Youth and Families Department (CYFD) of the State as it pertains to the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New Mexico on
Q: GAL board?

How do your turn in or file a complaint about guardian ad litem in New Mexico for wrong doing and not representing the best interest of a child. A GAL who is being intimidated by one parent and wants them off their back? Is there a board they have to answer to?

Gary William Boyle
Gary William Boyle answered on Sep 21, 2018

If you have issues with a Guardian ad Litem, you should raise them with the Court that appointed the GAL. You can do this by filing a motion with the Court.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for New Mexico on
Q: What is the 20 percent increase rule and if they make a under 20 percent raise is it ordered to be adjusted.

If its a 18 percent raise when will it be calculated into support if at all?

Gary William Boyle
Gary William Boyle answered on Sep 7, 2018

I assume you are referring to rules regarding modification of child support. Child support can be modified when a party can demonstrate a significant change in circumstances. The statutes provide that there is a significant change in circumstances when the amount of child support has changed by... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Federal Crimes and Personal Injury for New Mexico on
Q: Can I do anything legally against my mom, who abused me for 7yrs in NM. It ended when my dad began raising me on his own

My Mom was very neglectful & abusive. Both Physically and emotionally. All of This happened to me between ages 7-14. She was neglectful and abusive to her other 5children as well. She provided them drugs and Alchohol when they were only between the ages of 11-15. She specifically picked out her... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Dec 19, 2017

You can file criminal charges. You can sue her civilly but that will cost money and unless she has a lot I don't see it as doing anything except frustrating you.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for New Mexico on
Q: My child's father dies not pay child support and hasn't been in his life for more than 3 years and now is claiming he

Put some kind of restriction so i can't take my son out of state can he do that?

Jeff Grandjean
Jeff Grandjean answered on Dec 3, 2017

It is possible but he would likely have to go to court to do so. I would recommend contacting an attorney to discuss your options and to review the court docket to see if anything has been filed. Please feel free to contact myself or any other attorney on Justia if you want.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for New Mexico on
Q: there anyway that i could get full rights and child support still if father doesn't see child at all?
Jeff Grandjean
Jeff Grandjean answered on Dec 3, 2017

It is possible you could get primary custody and still get child support. As far as terminating his rights completely, if you do that the Court may still order child support. Terminating rights completely is difficult however, I would recommend you speak to an attorney to discuss all of your... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.